converting an '80s racer to single speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks FF.

That sounds as simple, and cheap, as I originally thought it would be.

I'll sleep on it and hope that Mercx comes to me in a dream and shows me the way...

Dan_h

Oh. Id just lock out the rear mech then. Its not going to wear out any more than a SS unless you change it to track spec chain 1/8. This will just cost money though

That is what I have done at the moment, just locked the rear mech under my chosen gear (which fortunately gives an almost dead straight chainline!) using the H Stop screw and removed all the shifters, cables etc. Seems to work fine and then costs nothing to try out the singlespeed thing.

Manonabike

Über Member
Certainly bull horns seem a pointless waste of a pair of drops: I was thinking a more upright position would make me more visible, obviously riding the tops will have the same effect (getting a little carried a way with "fixie fashion" perhaps).

This needs more thought...

Comfort wise Bull horns > riding the tops..... you really need to experience a set of bull horns to understand the point. A year ago I felt bull horns were pointless :biggrin:.... not anymore. I didn't want to make my own bull horns out of my drop bars so the Charge was a good choice for me.

About keeping cassette, derailleurs, gear shifters, etc I think that is fine while you are finding your range but the idea of a SS for me was to easy its maintenance and a lighter bike which I achieved at about 9.5 kgs and using a steel frame.
This is the bike I keep indoor to have easy access to.... need to pop to the bank/shops/etc? No problem!!! Just put my D-lock in my back pocket, mount the bike and off I go. On a nice day I always find the longest way home :biggrin: - I love riding my SS and the best thing is that most of my rides on this bike have actually replaced the car.... 748 miles since February.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Your comments on bullhorns noted MOAB.

What you say about maintenance and ease of use is exactly what drew me to a SS.

I'm beginning to think that first off I'll lock the gears; once I'm happy with my choice I'll junk the derailleurs and shorten the chain; ultimately I'll get a flip-flop hub, specific chain set and probably bullhorns.

Right, I've made my mind up now... unless I bag something on Ebay...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
jimmy , you are donig the same as i already have done 5 times now and it is much easier on a shortish commute on a known route to use a single speed ( not tried fixed ) , 3 of the ones i have converted have been old Peugoets where i have lbs re dish the rear wheel and fit a single speed freewheel normally 15 t and then just use outer chainring as they are mostly 48's or 52's .

the other 2 have been more modern frame and have used spacer kits on a freehub to get chain line and a bolt on tensioner as no adjustment on vertical dropouts .

i have a couple of donor frames lined up in garage for the nest conversions one of them will be done with a flip flop so i can try fixed riding .

so far none of them have cost more than £120 including donor bike , just finished doing a Dawes giro 200 cost so far £105 and i have taken off a nice pr of sti 7 speed levers that should recoup some money along with both deraileurs .

so best of luck and enjoy it

goody

Veteran
Once you remove the shifters, cables, derailleurs, 5-6-7 or whatever freewheel and set it up SS you'll be surprised how much lighter the bike is. It's not that difficult to do yourself if you have the tools to remove the freewheel and don't mind having a go at re-dishing the rear wheel. When deciding on gearing just remember to allow for days when you might not feel 100% and are riding into headwinds. I loved my SS but the rims wore out so I put in some wheels from an old shopping bike which had a three speed SA hub. Good Luck with it.

Dan_h

Just out of curiosity how hard is it to re-dish the rear wheel? It is only about £20 to get the LBS to do it so is it something worth trying? I only ask because I do like doing as much of the work on my bikes as possible myself, but something about working on wheels always seems a bit mystical to me!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i asked same question at lbs and got the its a mysterious art and dont mess about look that the olde boys gives, then went on to explain why it needs doing ie keep tyre in centre of frame and move hub across to aid chain line have done 1 bike by just messing with washers at lock nuts but tyre ended up slightly over to 1 side , couldnt tell any differance and bike still going strong

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Jimmy, if you want to try out fixed give us a shout as you can have a go on mine and see how you get on. It is currently set up with a 48 x 16/17 fixed / fixed rear hub which is fine for our flat local area. Tony

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
25 years ago!

Yes, then it may have worked, I did it in the 70's, but now it hardly ever does.

Nowadays cassette sprockets have twisted teeth, ramps, & some are half height,
& are designed to throw the chain off the sprocket, to ease gear shifting.

However, a Sturmey or Sachs hub gear sprocket with spacers is the way to go.

The spigots need a bit of filing so they will slide onto the cassette body, keep an old
rear mech as a tensioner, & plastic pipe (plumbing off cut) cut to size for the spacers.
Plastic is good enough, as they are only there for alignment purposes, & refit the lock ring.

Cut offs/ bull horns actually raise you up, because your reach is slightly shorter when using
the inside of the drop, allowing that you use the same extension.

Top Bottom