Converting from hydraulic to cable-actuated disc brakes after losing bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigyouth

Regular
Hi there,

I've recently had my bars stolen on a vitus energie 2018 model and after looking at replacing the apex hydraulic shifters.. its not something I can afford right now, and so I am considering changing to a mechanical system for the sake of both my wallet and the simplicity of it (also the ability to buy the necessary components new).

Here is a link to the spec for the bike:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-energie-cyclo-x-bike-apex-1x11-2018/rp-prod159446

From what I can see, I've got flat-mount calipers, so something like the TRP Spyre sounds like it would be a good choice. When it comes to running the cables can it run through the same way as the brake hoses? Compression-less outer cables sound like they would be needed for that to work.

For the shifters, I'm looking at the SRAM apex 1x11 mechanical levers which should be matched to the SRAM long-cage deraileur. However, I would be interested in a cheaper alternative that might also be compatible(?)

I don't know particularly much about this, so I'm wondering if there are any fore-seeable complications that I'd be running into and if then it might be best to suck it up and fork out for the hydraulic levers and learn how to get them running, which also seems to have a greater learning curve.

Thanks for any advice!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I've recently had my bars stolen on a vitus energie 2018 model

WTF, was it while it was locked up in public?

Cripes. Can we ask where in london?

Sorry to hear about this.

Suppose it's an argument in favour of old fashioned bar mounts in town, even though a fag to fit of course.

Top Bottom