Converting someone elses bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Hi,

Not posted for a while but a bloke at work has asked me to help him convert his GT Mtb to electric and I havent a clue about this stuff so thought where better to ask for help.

He has found this kit on Amazon
Hopefully this link works

He hasnt got much more to spend but would need a battery recommendation too please, if this kit is suitable.

Or is there something better/more suitable in a similar price range?

He was keen on the 1000W motor but it might be a bag of shite and I wouldnt know and dont want to get him spending that sort of money and then pecking my head because its not up to scratch. And he would be extremely annoying.

Many thanks for any help, cheers.

a bloke at work has asked me to help him convert his GT Mtb to electric and I havent a clue about this stuff
So someone, presumably not a friend, wants your input on something you haven't a clue about?

My first instinct is to direct him to those that do have a clue.

Especially if it wasn't a 100% success........
.... he would be extremely annoying.

My suggestion? Ask the mods to delete your post (to preserve your anonymity) and tell the guy at work about Cyclechat!

Good luck!

Hi,

Not posted for a while but a bloke at work has asked me to help him convert his GT Mtb to electric and I havent a clue about this stuff so thought where better to ask for help.

He hasnt got much more to spend but would need a battery recommendation too please, if this kit is suitable.

He was keen on the 1000W motor but it might be a bag of shite and I wouldnt know and dont want to get him spending that sort of money and then pecking my head because its not up to scratch. And he would be extremely annoying.

That's a direct drive hub motor by the looks of it which has both benefits and disadvantages. However the first thing to point out is at 1000W it is illegal to use on public highways etc. Also at 1000W it will need a very high capacity battery which can provide the current required for close to 1000W. These type of motors don't provide huge torque because they are ungeared but give them full power and they will go fast perhaps over 30mph. There maybe a restriction option to limit them to 15.5mph assisted and this will also massively reduce their current demands and mean a much greater range. In this mode they would typically take a lot less power than many legal mid-drive motors, Bosch etc. However whether people set such motors to the legal limit is another matter, most suspect they don't.

There is also an issue of the throttle. The department for transport gave an exception to ebike kits with regard the throttle but the rest of the ebike kit still needs to be legal in wattage terms. The Wisper ebikes which are type approved are all using fairly low power geared hub motors so whether this ebike kit meets the required spec for a twist and go throttle is another matter.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

Direct drive hub motors can be super reliable due to simplicity but they are heavy. Despite their huge size and weight they have the least torque of any ebike motor typically unless you throw huge current at them. The most common type of ebike is a geared hub motor. They are much lighter and have more torque typically but have planetary gears inside that will wear out over time. However these planetary gears are linked to a clutch mechanism so when unpowered there is practically no drag so the bike can be ridden as normal until power is applied which makes them superior to direct drive and mid-drive motors especially for long distance riding. They are probably the ideal type of ebike motor for general riding on the road. If you want a ebike for off-road use where high torque is required mid-drive is generally considered superior.

richardfm

Veteran
Rather than buying off Amazon buy from a supplier who can provide technical support and spare parts.
This is an example https://wooshbikes.co.uk/ Point him there, have a read of it yourself. Once he has worked out what he wants and has purchased it then you could offer to help fit it.

Jameshow

Veteran
Those kits only supply motor and control hardware the battery is extra usually 100% more.
Helped a men's shedder with his, was quite easy tbh.

Drago

Legendary Member
A thought worthy of consideration.

If you convert a bike for him, or assist him in doing so, and it is not a completely legally compliant ebike, then the moment he rides it on the road you personally have committed an offence of use, cause, or permit under S143b RTA 1988.

A signed disclaimer from them assuring you that they will never use it on a road or any public place would CYA.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
This is all great advice.

I've rather gone off the idea of doing this.

Thanks all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hi,

Bloody hell mate, long time no see. @I like Skol @dan_bo @Hacienda71

CXRAndy

Guru
The motor kit is probably rubbish.

I prefer direct crank motor with a 48 or 52V battery. You can get torque sensing drive motors. I've done my wife's and a few friends conversions.

Given the constant articles in the press about house fires caused by "ebikes" I would be careful advising him about any battery that does not come from a reputable company with some sort of proper certification

It seems like most of teh problems are caused by cheap batteries from China - although that refers to the manufacturing standards - and might not be reflected in the sale price!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Hi,

Get to bed.

Top Bottom