Convincing the missus...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I've got a wee lad, about 15 months, whom i'd love to take out on my bike on a bike seat.

I've got a bike seat (stored elsewhere), and will purchase a helmet for him (don't start a helmet debate here) in due course.

Now, the missus is vehemently against me taking him on out the bike. Under any circumstances (apparently suggesting that the zombie apocalpyse, due to happen, will render most transport except the bike redundant is considered 'absurd'). Does anyone have any ideas on how to convince the other half that it's safe and fun? Consider that she doesn't cycle whatsoever and I would only ever really take him for a few miles on a cycle path.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Take him out when she's not around. Her firm 'no' holds no greater merit than your desire to do so.

You taking him out is the equivalent of her saying No. She's already done that, and you haven't done so for x number of days. So you taking him only balances the situation.

Children love bikes. Be sensible, be safe, he'll thrive, she'll see that. Just don't say 'I told you so'. That makes you a 'nana.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Wait until he is bad tempered and howling. She'll be glad to see the back of him. Kids love being on the back and you can suggest it as a calming activity for him, you doing a good turn for both of them.

Octet

Veteran
I think the first step in this would be to get her on a bike... might be difficult though, I have however heard that a pair of diamond earrings work miracles.

On a serious note, are there any parks which you could take the whole family out to, and then she can watch as you do a couple of circuits near her. She shall then see that it is OK and safe, and should hopefully let you take him on your bicycle a bit more, and then a bit more etc.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I think the first step in this would be to get her on a bike... might be difficult though, I have however heard that a pair of diamond earrings work miracles.

Buy experiences not things.

Your child will get more out of a ride on the bike with dad than a new pair of jeans, shoes, toy, pretty much anything.

Sling a small rucksack on, on an idle Sunday morning, put Jr on the back, shoot off for a 20 minute round trip to the corner shop, buy a newspaper for you, a magazine for her and a treat for the little man. Don't build it into an event. It's a tiny thing. Do it, then do it more. You'll get so much out of it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Wait until he is bad tempered and howling. She'll be glad to see the back of him. Kids love being on the back and you can suggest it as a calming activity for him, you doing a good turn for both of them.
i was never allowed to take my daughter any where near bikes till much later

Lynnderella

Can you get your wife into cycling? Then she is on side!! My husband persuaded me to get a cheap hybrid last year to give it a go. I am now fairly obsessed with all things cycling, and have recently upgarded my starter bike for a Trek hybrid, which I love like a brother!|
Worth a try I say!! ;)

David Garside

When my two were young (7 years apart) I had motorbikes. When I came home from work they'd run to the end of the road and I'd put them on my tank and ride them to the house. When they were about 8 they could sit on the back and reach the footrests and they started going out for rides with me.
My wife was quite happy about that...although she herself used to regularly go on the back.
I think when your wife sees that they're safe (maybe on a short ride in the local park) she'll agree to them going with you.
Good luck. :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Get the bike out-stick the child seat on. Stick the child in. Ride around the block. Shout the wife to come outside and look. Show her that's she's fussing about nothing.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
unfortunately you wont convince her, she's a mum and is bound to be convinced that her child will die.

You can either be disappointed, or disappoint her, there isnt any middle ground when he's that age

This is all convincing stuff. Most reponses are men responses ("Just do it, accept the consequences") which i'm right on board with. Christ, she just about threw me out for eating the last Kitkat the other night, how bad could it get? Being that the summer is slowly slipping away I may take the wee man out over the next few weekends. The child seat is at my parent's place and I'll have my excuses to take the bike round ("Oh, got to wash the bike up there because they've got a hose!") and will, in tandem, take the wee man up -and out- for a ride.

Regarding trying to get her on a bike.... never going to happen. She was staunchly against it before and since i was wiped out by a car earlier in the year (separate shoulder, lots of bruising and scuffs, general manly whinging) she has found her excuse not to ever get on a bike. Which is fine because i'll get my son into cycling and have someone to ride with!

Top Bottom