Convincing the missus...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Take a look at this thread. I cycled with both my kids in a seat including our 'commute' twice a week on the busy main roads. We would ride about 5 miles to a gymtots session and 5 miles back, then later in the week a round trip of about 5 miles to the baby swimming session. I was lucky as my wife was 100% behind my excursions even though she is not a keen or confident cyclist herself.

KateK

I'm sure it is hard for your wife to trust the boy will be safe after your accident, but riding on roads and riding on a cycle path are very different. I think you may need to take it in baby steps if you are to keep her on board. Its easier where I live because half the population cycle, everyone takes toddlers and babies on bikes, trailers, trikes etc. If its any help, the only accidents I know of here were to a child trailer behind a bike (terrible for visibility, we never used them) and a friend who caught something in his wheel and they went over: child was wearing a helmet and was fine. Generally road users are much more considerate to bikes and trikes with kids on, they used to stop on main roads and let me out when I had a tricycle. Up front child seats look safer to non cyclists because you have your arms round them. Also a nice stable hybrid or mountain bike will look better...can you fit a child seat on a road bike?..never fitted mine well and gave terrible wheel judder when starting, horrible

CarlosVanDango

just get a bike trailer they are loads safer than bike seats, i'm not really a fan of bike seats although i would never knock anyone for taking their child out with one i just didn't fancy it with mine. bike trailers in parks and paths are about as safe as you can get - for driving in traffic they can difficult to see but just take that into account when your driving
and trailers are for nowt these days http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Trai...CyclAcces_RL&hash=item20cb5b1a24#ht_500wt_975 i only paid £40 for mine brand new off ebay:smile:

Matt1705

Über Member
My in laws have one, and have taken our 22 month old out a few times in it. Last time he went in it he was so relaxed he fell asleep! He loves it (when he's awake lol)

jackhandy

Some say the front mounting seats are better at that age, because you can keep an eye on the sprog & protect him if anything goes amuck.

Otherwise, could you get a cycling mum or, better still, granny to follow behind on a trial run?

I reckon you're in for a barrow-load of grief if you do it too sneaky.

How about some middle ground? what it is she is so worried about - the traffic? most likely.

Well start off with cycling with him on a traffic free cycle way. If I'm not mistaken you have some off-road cycle routes running through where you live (using the sustrans cycle route app on my iphone...) try those for what is probably her biggest fear - the traffic. National Cycle route 1 runs through Monifieth and heading north appears to have large sections that are off road, i.e. traffic free. there is also quite a bit to the south of you on the other side of the estuary which is in woodland around tayport (tentsmuir forest) and marked as traffic free as well. You could try that option.

Top Bottom