cooking gear for UK camping..who needs it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Does anybody know of a fuel that I can use in a Trangia burner that does not produce so much soot or stink so much? I've tried uncoloured meths and have also tried adding 10% water but it's still the same. The soot gets everywhere. What do they use in Fondue burners?

Bandini

I have a tiny burner in a pouch and a little canister, small lightweight frying pan and a small pan - so I/we can have a cup of tea and a bacon butty if necessary. Very light, very little room in paniers. I do quite like eating in fields of an evening sometimes though, so a little disposable barbie can be useful with the burner for some al fresco dining!

Does anybody know of a fuel that I can use in a Trangia burner that does not produce so much soot or stink so much? I've tried uncoloured meths and have also tried adding 10% water but it's still the same. The soot gets everywhere. What do they use in Fondue burners?

A smear of washing up liquid on the base of your pans before you start cooking means the soot wipes straight off with a piece of kitchen towel if that helps.

peelywally

I would not be happy, having to get up, pack all my gear away before I can then mount up and go searching for a warm drink or some breakfast on a cold miserable morning in Europe. By the time you have found somewhere, queued up, perused the menu, paid, ordered and sat down, you are surely losing more time on the bike than if you had taken ten minutes to cook your porridge and make a brew. One of the great things IMO about camping is sitting in or outside your tent sipping a warm brew and planning the day in your head or simply people watching. Quality.
:smile:

yeah thats part of the charm for me also ,
wish this weather would sort itself out and let me have a weekender around Argyll

just jim

i seen a great video one time of some scottish cyclist even on a long day ride he would wip out his parafin stove a cook up a big fry ,it was fantastic to see this guy knew how to enjoy his cycling and cooking was a major part of it brilliant.
That would be the great Bill Houston?

compo

Veteran
If just for a quick brew or fry an egg I am surprised no-one has mentioned a hexamine cooker. A small stand which folds down to tobacco tin size and a few Hex tablets and away you go. My favourite, though not the lightest by a long way is my faithful trangia. The ability to cook up a decent hot meal is well worth the extra bit of weight.

P.H

Über Member
Jetboil in use, I like the minimum space it takes up, both in the panniers and the tent.
6977093515_87bda28a1e_z.jpg

OP
OP
rollinstok

rollinstok

It's a Terra Nova Solar 2.2.

5767015301_561e4f93d0_z.jpg

Now discontinued, though the new Voyager 2.2 has some similarities.

Its a very similar structure to the Salewa Micra that I use, the entrance on the Solar is much better though--great for people and sky watching

Marcosplace

Regular
Couldnt think of anything worse than packing my tent away without a coffee....Petrol station would be an alternative for a coffee if i was without a stove.

Im a trangia fan!

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've just bought one of those Titanium esbit stoves from Wiggle [I had a £5 voucher]. Love it! That plus a foil screen and 4 small fuel tabs weigh less than 50 grams. It will boil a 1/2 pint of water in about 3 mins using less than 2 of these tabs
HTML:
http://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/gelert-solid-fuel-tabs-p-acc038-c-not-applicable.html
. I've also got the Army style Esbit stove which is also very efficient and you can add twigs to it to increase burn or use it for a base for a penny stove etc. I just can't stand the soot off alcohol, the solid fuel tabs I use don't really leave any noticable residue.

Top Bottom