1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooking tips.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by longers, 22 Mar 2008.

1. longers

longers Veteran

I like food :thumbsup: and thought maybe a thread based on simple little cookery tips was in order. I've had a couple of good tips this week and thought you might like to share some of yours.

1) A bit of salt on the chopping board helps stop it sticking to the knife when chopping garlic.

2) Quick pickled onions. Slice an onion and leave it in vinegar overnight. I don't like raw onion and pickled onions just taste of vinegar but these taste very nice. Perfect in a butty or as a side dish.

2. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Add some English mustard to white/cheese sauce.

3. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

don't try to cook low fat food, for example using half fat cheese or yoghurt and such like. when the factories do this, they use clever emulsifiers and flavour enhancers to replicate the fat. if you do it, it'll end up with poor results.

4. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Don't use butter with elephant's footprints in it.

5. OP
    OP
    longers

longers Veteran

Fresh tomatoes stored at room temperature seem to taste better than those kept in the fridge.

Cook steak from room temperature and put any oil or seasoning on the meat not in the pan.

6. TVC

TVC Living La Mala Vida

Don't have a w*** after chopping a chilli

7. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Add some cocoa to chilli just at the end of cooking.

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Never, EVER, EVER do cheese on toast in a microwave :biggrin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :sad: :ohmy: .

YOU GRILL IT !!!!

Fekkin heathens, cheese s'posed to be cooked from top. :biggrin:

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Any connection ??????

10. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Would that not be cheese on warm bready mush?

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Well he mentioned chilli and I thought of cocoa rather than thinking about going for a w---- :thumbsup:

12. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

caramelise ginger by frying it with honey, whack some salmon in there and have it with boiled potatoes and salad.
    Best meal ever, i eat it several times a week.

13. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

How much ginger do you use? When I'm doing a stir fry, I usually grate about half a 99p Somerfield pack of root ginger and that's about right for four of us.

14. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Reminds me of a joke!

Why's an elephant got four feet?

Cos he'd look stupid with four inches! ;)

15. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Never give your girlfriend a w*** after chopping chilli...;)

Roast spuds in bulk and freeze. Makes doing a roast dinner so much easier.