Cooking tips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I like food :thumbsup: and thought maybe a thread based on simple little cookery tips was in order. I've had a couple of good tips this week and thought you might like to share some of yours.

1) A bit of salt on the chopping board helps stop it sticking to the knife when chopping garlic.

2) Quick pickled onions. Slice an onion and leave it in vinegar overnight. I don't like raw onion and pickled onions just taste of vinegar but these taste very nice. Perfect in a butty or as a side dish.

Noodley

Add some English mustard to white/cheese sauce.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
don't try to cook low fat food, for example using half fat cheese or yoghurt and such like. when the factories do this, they use clever emulsifiers and flavour enhancers to replicate the fat. if you do it, it'll end up with poor results.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Fresh tomatoes stored at room temperature seem to taste better than those kept in the fridge.

Cook steak from room temperature and put any oil or seasoning on the meat not in the pan.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
The Velvet Curtain said:
Don't have a w**** after chopping chilli

Noodley said:
Add some cocoa to chilli just at the end of cooking.
Any connection ??????

bonj2

caramelise ginger by frying it with honey, whack some salmon in there and have it with boiled potatoes and salad.
Best meal ever, i eat it several times a week.

bonj said:
caramelise ginger by frying it with honey, whack some salmon in there and have it with boiled potatoes and salad.
Best meal ever, i eat it several times a week.

How much ginger do you use? When I'm doing a stir fry, I usually grate about half a 99p Somerfield pack of root ginger and that's about right for four of us.

Top Bottom