Cooking tips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
bonj said:
Isn't the term 'carbon steel' tautological?

It's a generic term. It means "plain carbon steel" with no chrome or other fancy elements that make it into stainless steel. In metallurgy, stainless steel is defined as an iron-carbon alloy with a minimum of 11.5% chromium content, by weight.

A typical composition for Stainless Steel flatware is 18% chromium and 10% nickel, commonly known as 18/10 stainless and it is known as Austenitic stainless steel. It normally contains a maximum of 0.15% carbon.

Hence flatware made from non-stainless is called "carbon steel".

Glad to be of assistance.:blush:

Saddle bum said:
It's a generic term. It means "plain carbon steel" with no chrome or other fancy elements that make it into stainless steel. In metallurgy, stainless steel is defined as an iron-carbon alloy with a minimum of 11.5% chromium content, by weight.

A typical composition for Stainless Steel flatware is 18% chromium and 10% nickel, commonly known as 18/10 stainless and it is known as Austenitic stainless steel. It normally contains a maximum of 0.15% carbon.

Hence flatware made from non-stainless is called "carbon steel".

Glad to be of assistance.:biggrin:
Bonj is not famous for accepting information on metals, especially in reference to frame materials...:becool:

Worst knife I ever had was an (expensive) carbon steel Sabatier. The blade was flexy as hell, wouldn't hold an edge and discoloured horribly. Utter rubbish. The only kitchen knife I use now (for absolutely everything) is a no-name, bog-standard job with a six inch blade. Anything else would be just showing off.

mr endon

Poached eggs? (:blush:)
Never mind that whirlpool and vinegar jag.
Smallish pan. Couple of inches, at most, of water. Bring to boil and turn down heat. Break egg or eggs into another vessel; a glass or mug.
Lift pan and tilt it. Too much water and your tilt is limited, so pour away any excess.
Gently pour the raw eggs into that side of the pan where the water is deepest. The egg sinks, cradled in shape in the 'V' between the base and sidewall of your small pan. Hold the pan, still at a tilted angle, over your low heat for a minute or so - until the periphery of your egg mass has solidified sufficient for you to be able to lay the pan flat without the egg spreading and fluffing and disintegrating into a wet nebula.
Low heat until your eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove with a slotted spoon.

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Bonj is not famous for accepting information on metals, especially in reference to frame materials...:blush:

Worst knife I ever had was an (expensive) carbon steel Sabatier. The blade was flexy as hell, wouldn't hold an edge and discoloured horribly. Utter rubbish. The only kitchen knife I use now (for absolutely everything) is a no-name, bog-standard job with a six inch blade. Anything else would be just showing off.

no 'cos that's a fact. "Steel is better than aluminium" = received wisdom/fashion/opinion masqueraded as fact.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
mr endon said:
Scrambled eggs? .............

sounds like you're making poached there.:blush:

as for scrambled, i reckon that using a glass bowl in a pan of simmering water and stirring for 20 mins is the only way:becool: don't forget the cream or habenero flakes though

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Noodley said:
I always do scambled eggs in the microwave.

Still cannae do poached eggs..any tips? And I have tried spinning the water and vinegar ;)

Get one of those four eggs at a time poaching pans from Marks and Spencer, none of that poncing around with whirlpools and the finished product looks loads better.

abchandler

Andy in Sig said:
Get one of those four eggs at a time poaching pans from Marks and Spencer, none of that poncing around with whirlpools and the finished product looks loads better.

It's just a pity they're then steamed and not poached;)

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Add some English mustard to white/cheese sauce.

I finally tried this tip!

Did a roast dinner for six yesterday and the cauliflower cheese got singled out for special praise.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
How to cook Perfect Rice.

Buy Basmati rice.

For 2 people, melt a knob of butter in a pan.
Add half a mug of rice.
Stir-fry for a minute while the kettle boils. Make sure all the rice is coated with butter. Add a mug of boiling water. Stir, bring back to the boil, put the lid on, turn the heat off and leave it for at least 10 minutes, not more than an hour.
Fluff up with a fork just before serving.

Always works, always good. Yum!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Gerry Attrick said:
You get what you pay for. Cheap stainless knives are so much scrap, but the top makers such as Henckels, Global, Wusthof or Gustav Emil Ern are superb

I use Sabatier- but always keep knives sharp and use a wooden or plastic board to chop on.

I always add a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar to chopped tomatoes to counter the acidity.

Keep broccoli [and most greens] bright green by boiling in a covered pan with a centimetre of water in the pan.

Add a touch of nutmeg when using milk for sauces- to avoid lumps 'fry' fat and flour together in equal quantities [a 'roux'] , take off heat and blend in warm milk and keep stirring.

If milk curdles during cooking add some butter [or a substitute] to blend it back.

Top Bottom