Cooking tips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

Noodley said:
Add some cocoa to chilli just at the end of cooking.
+1 Just make sure it's cocoa and not hot chocolate.
;)

longers said:
2) Quick pickled onions. Slice an onion and leave it in vinegar overnight. I don't like raw onion and pickled onions just taste of vinegar but these taste very nice. Perfect in a butty or as a side dish.

In Yorkshire, we call this sugared onion (add a spoonful of sugar to the vinegar). It goes really well with roast beef and Yorkshire pud, and has always been a regular feature of my family Sunday dinners.

kyuss

Veteran
Don't add milk to eggs when making omelettes. Scrambled eggs need milk (or cream) the only thing you should add to eggs when making an omelette is a spoonful or two of water, makes them nice and fluffy.

Don't add milk or cream to scrambled eggs. Cook them over a very low heat in a little butter, then when they're nearly ready, add another dollop of butter, and serve up when it's nearly melted. It's the only way to do scrambled eggs; if you must add anything else, try brie.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Fried eggs ....

LOADS of olive oil in the pan, put 3 eggs into the hot oil, break them lightly with a fork to spread the yolk, squeeze a fresh lemon into the mix, then some black pepper, serve over fresh bread (no butter) and pour the remaining oil on top. Don't hold back on the lemon!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Before you boil an egg, prick a wee hole in the less pointy of the ends using a needle or similar (I keep a safety pin in th kitchen cork board). Never have a cracked boiled egg again!

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
kyuss said:
Don't add milk to eggs when making omelettes. Scrambled eggs need milk (or cream) the only thing you should add to eggs when making an omelette is a spoonful or two of water, makes them nice and fluffy.

Indeed! I always finish mine off under the grill, makes it rise even more!

karen.488walker

Easy sauce to serve with duck or haggis ...port and jam, couple of good tablespoons of jam and large glass of port. Heat and reduce to syruppy state. Even the kids love it, it's called jam sauce! Cherry conserve goes particularly well with duck. (I'm also a fan of the Lakeland poach pod, meat thermometers, rice cookers are fantastic and potatoe ricers)

Top Bottom