Corned beef hash......how do you make yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd never heard of it before I met a wish
Welsh girl at uni. She made mash potatoes, browned done onions and mixed the corned beef in, then added gravy and stirred it all up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got to love this thread. What was the original recipe ?

I never had "it" at home, but it was something my missus had. It wasn't anything like we eat now. Mince etc was just fried dry and horrid... I loved having my own house and cooking properly... don't mention liver and what went as mince cooked properly.... glad I cooked from my early teens...

My corn beef hash, no shoot food going in there.... other than the corn beef...?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Fry some chorizo along with sliced onions. Meanwhile boil some small new potatoes. When both parties are soft, halve the potatoes and stir gently into the chorizo and onion pan contents on a gentle heat. Finally, and it should be last minute, sprinkle some cubed chilled corned beef into the pan and leave it to heat and just start to break down. Serve it immediately, with your choice of hot sauce (Baron St Lucia for choice)

Darn sure it's not a classic CBH but it's lovely, promise.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fry some chorizo along with sliced onions. Meanwhile boil some small new potatoes. When both parties are soft, halve the potatoes and stir gently into the chorizo and onion pan contents on a gentle heat. Finally, and it should be last minute, sprinkle some cubed chilled corned beef into the pan and leave it to heat and just start to break down. Serve it immediately, with your choice of hot sauce (Baron St Lucia for choice)

Darn sure it's not a classic CBH but it's lovely, promise.
Like it! Have also used hot-sauce in CBH and it works really well :-)

Never had it before when we were growing up. I think we were told that the Americans troops brought it with them during WWII.

The thing is, what ‘we’ call corned beef is quite different to what it is elsewhere.
Is this the type that we talking about. I am confused.
1634284248834.png

Yes. But the term “corned beef” is quite broad and generally means salted beef (“corn” referring to corns of salt). What we have is minced and compressed corned beef.
It is same as in the US. Salted and compressed. I have tried both the UK and US version and they have the same crumpled look texture.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes. But the term “corned beef” is quite broad and generally means salted beef (“corn” referring to corns of salt). What we have is minced and compressed corned beef.
The guy that owns the golf club used** to make his own REAL corned beef and it was fantastic.
**he sadly stopped doing it as it was too much hard work.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Tsk! All these recipes and no-one yet has mentioned adding hash.
Definitely not recommended if you need to go to work the next day, though.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mash, leftover is fine. Sliced/ diced onions, fried. Corned beef, obvs. Fry in butter until as crispy as you want it. If you keep stirring and cook it long enough, it's almost all crispy crusted goodness. Top with a fried egg, perhaps, and serve with IPA.

Top Bottom