Corned beef

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone a fan?

I have kind of looked down on it for most of my conscious life - maybe I had the idea that you sliced it and ate it like a joint. When it looks pretty shoddy.

But a few months ago I got into it as a handy additive for a relatively meat-free diet - you don't need much to give a recipe the whiff of meat.

I tend to chop a bit off, then squash it under a fork, add to pasta dishes etc - doing this I can make a can last a fair while.

I realise that it's processed but surely in small quantities per meal it can't do much harm?

I have even taken to mixing it with tinned fish in tomato sauce as a protein boost after tough rides.

Am I bonkers or ahead of some metropolitan curve?

I did read about some rush on it recently and then found that my local bijou Lidl appeared to have been cleaned out of it.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I love it in a sandwich with fresh white bread, but it doesn't work for me on brown, or with sauce/pickle of any description. Maybe I'll make a corned beef hash now and again but that's about it. I think supplies were limited in Lockdown 1 when everyone was comfort eating the old classics and stocking up on things in tins.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have the idea that it will be especially handy for bike-camping tours, where carrying freshly slaughtered bits of animal might be a bit of an issue.
And am counting on the idea that it can be carried for a while once free to roam outside the tin, thanks to what I assume are a fair amount of preservatives.
I don't have an issue with preservatives if used in moderation/as part of a balanced diet with beer etc.

Had some on my sarnies at lunch. Bit of salad, brown sauce and wholemeal bread.
Lovely

Top Bottom