Corned beef

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I love the stuff. I know it's a cliche for a nice Jewish boy like me to love it, but I really do. The Morrisons stuff from the butchers counter is the best.

I can't eat bread any more so sarnies are out. Looks like I too will have to go the hash route.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm more concerned about the texture and flavour of the usual stuff, I don't eat it . But the real thing from a Jewish deli is yummy.,

The real thing from a Jewish deli would be called salt beef which is made from a large piece of brisket, brined in goodness knows what for a week, then cooked.

As a whole joint, it does look much nicer when sliced.

I'm not familiar with the factory corning process, but it's minced beef which is held together by cold set fat, so straightaway it has a presentation problem.

They might brine it for a week in lots of lovely herbs and spices, but factory usually means 'cheap and lots of short cuts' so the taste will inevitably be inferior to deli salt beef.

Incidentally, the brining process is heavily reliant on salt, and used to include saltpetre - one of the main components of gunpowder.

That's frowned upon now, not least because it's poisonous if taken in too large a quantity.

The real thing from a Jewish deli would be called salt beef which is made from a large piece of brisket, brined in goodness knows what for a week, then cooked.

I'm not familiar with the factory corning process, but it's minced beef which is held together by cold set fat, so straightaway it has a presentation problem.

They might brine it for a week in lots of lovely herbs and spices, but factory usually means 'cheap and lots of short cuts' so the taste will inevitably be inferior to deli salt beef.

Incidentally, the brining process is heavily reliant on salt, and used to include saltpetre - one of the main components of gunpowder.

That's frowned upon now, not least because it's poisonous if taken in too large a quantity.
And makes farting very risky 🤣🤣

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And am counting on the idea that it can be carried for a while once free to roam outside the tin, thanks to what I assume are a fair amount of preservatives.

The main preservative is salt, so I wouldn't worry too much about any others.

Corned beef from a tin keeps well in a fridge, but on a bicycle tour I think warm temperatures will be your enemy.

I wouldn't expect corned beef to last longer than a day or two on a hot summer's day, and the fat will start to melt leaving you with an unappetising greasy stodge.

You might get a few days out of a slab if daytime temps didn't climb above a few degrees.

PK99

Legendary Member

Canned corned beef differs in a number of ways from saltbeef.

The canned is likely to be made with inferior cuts, Salt Beef is brined and boiled brisket. Very similar to pastrami.

Canned is ground and filler/ binder added.

The canning process involves pressure cooking at high temperature which alters both texture and flavour.

Toe Clip

Love ”Corned Dog” with slices of tomato and a very minuscule pinch of salt. Also love “Pressed Beef” but as the old cooked meat stalls disappear in this area have to resort to Bury Market to find some. Must be served on Warbies White Thin sliced bread to be “posh” and wrapped in brown baking paper tied with string.u

Dave7

Legendary Member
Decision made. Lunch will be corned beef and onion** butties with a few chips.
**that might end up being pickled onion.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Decision made. Lunch will be corned beef and onion** butties with a few chips.
**that might end up being pickled onion.
not scrimping on the carbs there dave?
I quite like Lidl shallotts for onion duties in sandwiches/wraps and the like - quite often on special offer - they keep for a fair old while in a well chilled fridge - just make sure that they stay dry.

mustang1

Guru
Years and years ago I was in Canada and my uncle took me to Subway where I had a corned beef sub. I was in heaven....

I still have it on the odd occasion, though I cannot recall the last time I did.

Dave7

Legendary Member
not scrimping on the carbs there dave?
I quite like Lidl shallotts for onion duties in sandwiches/wraps and the like - quite often on special offer - they keep for a fair old while in a well chilled fridge - just make sure that they stay dry.
I am a growing lad and need to keep my energy levels up.
AND.....it was pickled onion ^_^

Top Bottom