Corned beef

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
THIS is corned beef!

1621355588222.png

https://bricklanebeigel.co.uk/

Buck

Guru
I am partial to a corned beef sandwich - I do like it on white bread with ketchup but to be honest it is versatile so goes with salad / onions very nicely too. Also Mrs Buck makes a nice corned beef, potato and onion hash filling for jacket potatoes using the flesh of the potato then mixing and putting back into the skins.

Mini factoid - after being asked by my youngest why it’s called corned beef I had a look, as I didn’t know.
it is named after the “corns” of rock salt used to cure the beef and doesn’t contain any corn!

When I worked in a city centre there was a sandwich shop a few doors away

The first sandwiches they always sold out of where corned beef and Branston!

I do find the quality of the tinned version varies a lot. I made Corned Beef Hash for my wife a few days ago. Normally I just make mash the normal way and then lob a small tin of corned beef in it
This time I used a different brand and it has so much fat in it that the hash became almost liquid. Tesco's version doesn;t do that - I assume due to lower fat content!

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this one.

Standard vegetable stew cooked as normal then about 10 mins before eating stir in a beef stock cube followed by a tin of corned beef cut into 1" cubes.

Not haute cuisine,but delicious. :hungry:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The thing with corned beef from a tin is its usually packed full of sodium (salt) fats and other unhealthy preservatives that arent really good for you in the long run if consumed regularly, At least not if youre trying to watch your weight or on a low sodium diet.

As a one off treat every so often it might be fine but if youre going to make it a regular thing then id suggest switching to something else.. If its protein youre after then there are better and healthier ways to get it and a lot more of it.

Protein.jpg

Tofu is pretty great. buy a block or two, chop it up into smaller cubes and fry it with some green beans and some chicken or pork - you can substitute the meat for more veg if you want.

The only corned beef id regularly eat is the one mentioned in @PK99 post and even more so since ive actually been to BEIGEL BAKE

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I worked in a city centre there was a sandwich shop a few doors away

The first sandwiches they always sold out of where corned beef and Branston!

I do find the quality of the tinned version varies a lot. I made Corned Beef Hash for my wife a few days ago. Normally I just make mash the normal way and then lob a small tin of corned beef in it
This time I used a different brand and it has so much fat in it that the hash became almost liquid. Tesco's version doesn;t do that - I assume due to lower fat content!
Some years back we would buy Aldi corned beef as there was so little (visible) fat it it. They then changed supplier or spec' and suddenly it was full of fat.
We tend to buy m&s now but when it's on offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Some years back we would buy Aldi corned beef as there was so little (visible) fat it it. Then then changed supplier or spec' and suddenly it was full of fat.
We tend to buy m&s now but when it's on offer.
Have you compared the fat content figures in the nutritional info?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The thing with corned beef from a tin is its usually packed full of sodium (salt) fats and other unhealthy preservatives that arent really good for you in the long run if consumed regularly, At least not if youre trying to watch your weight or on a low sodium diet.

I know you have to be careful with all processed meat, but I take the view that I use it in such small quantities (typically a small bit chopped off the block and then squashed/shredded between a fork) that I can pretty much ignore these concerns. I can make a single tin last a week or more in a very chilled fridge. I wouldn't dream of eating anything like a tin at once.

Folk eat lots of other stuff with additives and preservatives, some of it rather posh looking.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
No. As I said, it was some years back when that happened.
ok - I always check the nutritional info - appearances can be deceptive.
Checking nutritional info can also of course sometimes tell you that two products are essentially the same thing - even if they have widely different prices.
Lots of high fat food in M&S aisles of course as well.

Dave7

Legendary Member
ok - I always check the nutritional info - appearances can be deceptive.
Checking nutritional info can also of course sometimes tell you that two products are essentially the same thing - even if they have widely different prices.
Lots of high fat food in M&S aisles of course as well.
Indeed.
Back to the Aldi Ç beef......we found the visible pieces of fat very off putting.

Top Bottom