Cornering fixed - any tips? and any other general handling tips!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
More great tips folks thanks, especially the bodily function related ones :laugh:

Well I got the bike and have done about 1 mile or so clipless (SPD) round the block a few times.

First thing I need to do it get a shorter stem, from a 110mm to a 60mm. I can reach the tops OK but the hoods and brakes are just miles away! From above it probably looks like I'm being crucified when I'm on the hoods. I think I might change the 44cm bars at some point to 40cm bullhorns but I'll see how I get on with the shorter stem first.

Now, stopping and dismounting... that had me toiling! While one leg was unclipped the other one is still turning! Is there a knack to it? Or is it a case of working out your own way of unclipping and stopping?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
unclip one leg, leg over when the other reaches the top stroke, brakes on when loose foot hits floor and other foot at bottom of stroke. saves stretching over the top bar and saddle.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
unclip one leg, leg over when the other reaches the top stroke, brakes on when loose foot hits floor and other foot at bottom of stroke. saves stretching over the top bar and saddle.

:eek: That's going to take a bit lot of practise (preferably on a cushioned surface). I would have to unclip the opposite foot to what I do normally. I've never been able to do that leg over stopping thing on a freewheel either!

jim55

Guru
i found on mine that say youre coming to lights or something and have to stop ,stop before the line or something when ur crank arm is at the 1 -2 oclock pos and un clip with the other ,cos normally on frewheel u can coast up to the stop line

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
i found on mine that say youre coming to lights or something and have to stop ,stop before the line or something when ur crank arm is at the 1 -2 oclock pos and un clip with the other ,cos normally on frewheel u can coast up to the stop line

Cheers Jim. Think I'm not going to get a real feel of the bike until I have the shorter stem. Hopefully it'll arrive early next week. The exaggerated stretched position when I brake isn't helpful!

jim55

Guru
thats the only thing i struggled with ,and i found when stopping it was easier to stay in the seat when stoppinh instead of faffing about trying to get clipped back in when u first set off kinda standing astride the bike -wee tip -do not look at the pedals when trying to clip in just try and kinda catch it as it comes round

I use eggbeaters on my fixopholous fixed-gear fixie and they are a doddle to get into and out of.

Just as a ball lobbed into the air must be stationary for a split second at its maximum height, so a bicycle is beatifully still for a moment after you've stopped pedalling.

That gives you plenty of time to unclip and put a foot down.

All that sodding about with trackstands at traffic signals is for those who want to look cool.

I write this as someone who has never mastered the art of the trackstand, so you may detect a bias in my opinion.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
A few folk in work ride fixed with eggbeaters. I dunno how they work but I'll see if I can get a demo. Are they easier with fixed than SPDs?

colly

Re member eR
I use eggbeaters on my fixopholous fixed-gear fixie and they are a doddle to get into and out of.

Just as a ball lobbed into the air must be stationary for a split second at its maximum height, so a bicycle is beatifully still for a moment after you've stopped pedalling.

That gives you plenty of time to unclip and put a foot down.

All that sodding about with trackstands at traffic signals is for those who want to look cool.

I write this as someone who has never mastered the art of the trackstand, so you may detect a bias in my opinion.

I bought some egg beaters off Cubist and the more I use them the more I like them.:thumbsup:

colly

Re member eR
A few folk in work ride fixed with eggbeaters. I dunno how they work but I'll see if I can get a demo. Are they easier with fixed than SPDs?

Probably a little easier to get in and out of than spd's but when you are used to spd's it isn't an issue anyway.

You can get clipped into them on all four sides. I find them very east to get in and out of and I like the fairly floaty feel I get from the fairly generous float.

There is no platform to speak of, so you might want to use quite a stiff shoe, but I just use the crap old SPD shoes I had lying around.

The cleats diiffer slightly from SPD ones. They look similar, but neither type works in the other pedal. If you have limited shoes and several bikes, it can be tiresome to switch your cleats around.

Eggbeaters are slightly 'Marmitey'. Lots of people seem to love them; lots think they are just a poseur's toy and completely pointless.

Some people also have issues with their quality (and relative lack of bearings). I like them, but there are other opinions.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
More food for thought thanks Colly, Boris.
Maybe it's the timing I'm having an issue with rather than the type of cleat. I'm probably over-thinking it as well.
I should probably stick with SPDs. Been using them for a couple of years with no problems.
I'll maybe see if I can get a go with eggbeaters but I am also wary of trying too many new things at once.

Top Bottom