Cornering fixed - any tips? and any other general handling tips!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
T-1 to N+1 for me... should be getting my Viking tomorrow.

One thing I'm a bit nervous about is cornering when pedalling. Has anyone got any tips and any other general handling tips for people new to fixed?

Cheers!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Don't be nervous. unless you've got long cranks (i'm talking >180mm) you'll only bang a pedal on the road if you get too near the curb. you'll be reet.

Things that I found out when riding fixed for the first time:

1. Pedal strike is not really an issue (see post above).

2. You may want to make sure you can't clip the front wheel with the toe of your shoe. It can be unhelpful if this happens.

3. Keep pedalling while moving... Sounds obvious, but you may find that you stop pedalling at times (cresting a hill or when looking behind). If you stop pedalling, you may be launched out of the saddle.

4. Think about how you want to attach your feet to the pedals. There as many answers to this one as there are fixed-gear riders. I prefer SPD clipless. Some use straps.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
I'd agree with the above. It took me about 5 minutes to get out of the habit of freewheeling when cornering...after you've had your knees wrenched off a couple of time you'll be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't be nervous. unless you've got long cranks (i'm talking >180mm) you'll only bang a pedal on the road if you get too near the curb. you'll be reet.

This is correct. Never hit the road despite hammering some corners in commuting. I have, however, smacked curbs doing 'filtering'. :blush:

Oh yeh, pedal overlap. Fortunately only one of my geared bikes has that. Might be spectacular on a fixed.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Thanks for the replies folks.

The cranks are 170mm, 44T and a 16T fixed cog.

I'll check to see if there's any toe overlap, and if so I'll have to try to remember not to steer with the bars if I'm moving slowly.

I'm going borrow the SPDs off another bike as I'm used to them and they're set quite loose.

What I keep imagining happening is, the natural tendency to freewheel when cornering with the outside foot at 6 o'clock, and me ending up wrenching my knees and/or skidding out of control. I used to do spinning classes and remember wrenching my knees a couple of times when I forgot to keep pedalling, so hopefully this will be a quick learning curve!

Cheers guys. :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You will try and freewheel almost immediately, then you'll get a kick. It soon stops. I advise you don't tackle any long downhill sections at first... like a runaway rocket. :tongue:

Reactions: 4F

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Times you might be tempted to freewheel:
1. Removing bottle from bottle cage
2. Potholes
3. Turning round to check behind you

For the first two, the bike will simply give you an abrupt reminder that pedalling is mandatory. The third is particularly hazardous, because if you rotate your hips too far you will be unable to pedal smoothly.

This is correct. Never hit the road despite hammering some corners in commuting. I have, however, smacked curbs doing 'filtering'. :blush:

Oh yeh, pedal overlap. Fortunately only one of my geared bikes has that. Might be spectacular on a fixed.

Only hit a curb once,one of those central islands for peds to wait on,hit it with my right pedal on setting off,
nearly launched me off as the rear wheel left the ground,
I've got pedal overlap on my MKM, only really a problem going through subways negotiating the ramps
at the bottom,Try and avoid potholes rather than riding over them, you can sometimes get boxed in with a car
on your right and a bad pothole in front of you can lead to some dodgy moments

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Times you might be tempted to freewheel:
1. Removing bottle from bottle cage
2. Potholes
3. Turning round to check behind you

For the first two, the bike will simply give you an abrupt reminder that pedalling is mandatory. The third is particularly hazardous, because if you rotate your hips too far you will be unable to pedal smoothly.

4. Using brake or brakes, esp. downhill.
5. Farting

Top Bottom