Cornwall Holiday..........any location suggestions welcome.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
It is some 25/30 years since we had holidays in Cornwall. In those days we had kids and obviously had different wants/needs/requirements.
For many years we have enjoyed Anglesey with a few in France or Spain etc.
We are thinking of a week in Lizard/Helston/Penzance area then a 2nd week around the Newquay as its "on the way home" area but that is just our initial thinking.
Requirements are....................
Places of beauty & interest to visit.
possibly some cycling but not critical.
On or within easy reach of the coast.
Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

stephec

Legendary Member
Do you want the seaside or inland?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It is some 25/30 years since we had holidays in Cornwall. In those days we had kids and obviously had different wants/needs/requirements.
We are thinking of a week in Lizard/Helston/Penzance area then a 2nd week around the Newquay as its "on the way home" area but that is just our initial thinking.

There are gazillions of places and Tripadvisor is an excellent resource for this. You haven't said how many of you there are nor whether you want to stay Self Catering or some other arrangement. FWIW, here's where we stayed not too long ago and it was lovely. Convenient for exploring from Lizard through to Lands End

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/borahfarmcottages/

PK99

Legendary Member

Avoid newquay...alcohol, drunk teens and vomit are the most vivid memories, the surf at Fistral is good but Watergate Bay is better all round.

Best Cream Tea in cornwall (believe me, we tried them all) is at the National trust cafe at Bedruthan steps just a few mile up the coast - time it for low time so you can get down onto the beach.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Avoid newquay...alcohol, drunk teens and vomit are the most vivid memories, the surf at Fistral is good but Watergate Bay is better all round.

Best Cream Tea in cornwall (believe me, we tried them all) is at the National trust cafe at Bedruthan steps just a few mile up the coast - time it for low time so you can get down onto the beach.
That's a pretty fair précis of my thoughts about Newquay.

solitaire

Über Member
I would always recommend Crantock as a place to stay near Newquay, it's only a stones throw away but it's like a different world, quiet, beautiful, nice beach with sand dunes and the common. You can follow the coastal path for as far as you wish, it's absolutely stunning. :thumbsup: Village pub, nice restaurant on top of the hill with outside seating and incredible views. Little local store, regular bus service, everything you could want from a lovely Cornish village.
Perranporth, St Ives and Port Isaac are also lovely places to take a look at.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ah thanks. We did discuss that as I remember (years ago) reading of those problems but though it may have reverted to it's previous "nice/peacefull" type.

stephec

Legendary Member
As I said "on the coast or within easy reach" :smile:
So you did, I missed that. :blush: :biggrin:

South I'm not too sure on, but up north Perranporth is nice. If you want to cycle from the centre though you'll have to ride up a very steep hill.

Katherine

Guru
Anywhere down at the far west is in easy reach of everything. Marazion is a good base for penzance, lands end, St Ives, Porthcurno etc. There's loads of national trust properties that membership would pay for itself in 4.5 visits. You could even drive to Newquay to see for yourself that you wouldn't want to stay there!
Enjoy, wherever you end up.

solitaire

Über Member
Just to defend Newquay a little. Over the last couple of years it has done it's best to drag it's reputation out of the gutter and it has improved.
The police are a lot more high profile on the streets, especially at weekends and have done an impressive job along with the pubs and clubs to clamp right down on youngsters getting blind drunk and causing grief. Their zero tolerance approach seems to be working.
Obviously you are still going to get incidents like the ones several of you have mentioned but you'll get that in many holiday towns, Blackpool springs to mind.
So overall if your looking for a quiet holiday I wouldn't recommend Newquay. Unless you come in the winter, when it's a completely different place and really quite pleasant.
Unfortunately a lot of the shops etc close so you get the good with the bad really.
As a final note, I would just like to point out that Newquay gets slated in the media which always astounds me because it isn't Newquay that's the problem, it's the people who come here,

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

This is true ... and if you've cycled the coast road, very welcome!

stephec

Legendary Member
Just to defend Newquay a little. Over the last couple of years it has done it's best to drag it's reputation out of the gutter and it has improved.
The police are a lot more high profile on the streets, especially at weekends and have done an impressive job along with the pubs and clubs to clamp right down on youngsters getting blind drunk and causing grief. Their zero tolerance approach seems to be working.
Obviously you are still going to get incidents like the ones several of you have mentioned but you'll get that in many holiday towns, Blackpool springs to mind.
So overall if your looking for a quiet holiday I wouldn't recommend Newquay. Unless you come in the winter, when it's a completely different place and really quite pleasant.
Unfortunately a lot of the shops etc close so you get the good with the bad really.
As a final note, I would just like to point out that Newquay gets slated in the media which always astounds me because it isn't Newquay that's the problem, it's the people who come here,
Blackpool on a Saturday night makes Newquay look like a bhuddist's convention.

Not for the faint hearted. :biggrin:

Top Bottom