Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Went into my university today for the first time in 3 months, to collect any items I'd need. It's likely we'll be based at home for the next 15-18 months, just going in for small group classes should they run from September. I could have one slot, which I've taken, apart from collecting my OH-specific chair which I can do next week.

I was the only member of staff there and it's hit me that it will be a long time before I see colleagues and others in person.

Slick

Guru
Went into my university today for the first time in 3 months, to collect any items I'd need. It's likely we'll be based at home for the next 15-18 months, just going in for small group classes should they run from September. I could have one slot, which I've taken, apart from collecting my OH-specific chair which I can do next week.

I was the only member of staff there and it's hit me that it will be a long time before I see colleagues and others in person.
I've been going in twice a week to keep things ticking over and it's weird being in there yourself. Hopefully we won't be at home as long as you are planning but I have organised my first lesson online on Thursday which looks like the start of things to come.

Julia9054

Guru
I've been going in twice a week to keep things ticking over and it's weird being in there yourself. Hopefully we won't be at home as long as you are planning but I have organised my first lesson online on Thursday which looks like the start of things to come.
I'm currently teaching 6th form over Teams. It's awful. They have their cameras off so I can't see from their reactions whether I am going too fast or too slow, I'm sitting in my living room rabbiting on to a PowerPoint on my iPad. It is almost impossible to get any meaningful interaction with the class. I hate it. I also question it's benefit over providing recordings, professionally made videos etc.

tom73

Guru
The OU have some some great stuff to get you use to teaching online. They are happy to help any education provider with how to do it.
It's all about the right tools for the job. School ect have just not invested in staff or tool's for true online learning.

Julia9054

Guru
The OU have some some great stuff to get you use to teaching online. They are happy to help any education provider with how to do it.
It's all about the right tools for the job. School ect have just not invested in staff or tool's for true online learning.
The main problem is the government not investing in the resources families have to access online learning.
I am incredibly fortunate. My school is an iPad school - all staff and students have iPads and we are used to using apps like Showbie for sharing resources with students. Students submit work online and we can mark and provide feedback on the iPad. Apart from the true live lessons element (which we are only doing with year 12) staff and students have not been scrabbling around attempting to learn a new technology in double quick time.
Contrast that with my husband’s school who have had to learn google classroom with no proper training. Lots of pupils are not engaging with the work because they are trying to access it on phones which are woefully not up to it and in many cases are sharing devices with siblings and parents. Their school have a consignment of laptops promised but not yet delivered. They are supposedly getting 10 for a school of 700 and have to decide which 10 kids qualify and which just have to manage.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm currently teaching 6th form over Teams. It's awful. They have their cameras off so I can't see from their reactions whether I am going too fast or too slow.

Of course it's going to be awful. Why on earth do they have their cameras off ?

Do they conceal themselves when they're in the classroom ?

tom73

Guru
Your right it's a massive problem we've not seen any of laptops at all add in that some are in the top 3% for poverty.
it's not looking good too much of the lock down and the now the coming out of it. Is just been targeted on the real one in need most will catch up. But ones at the very bottom just have to hope they had little before all this as it was.

Julia9054

Guru
Of course it's going to be awful. Why on earth do they have their cameras off ?

Do they conceal themselves when they're in the classroom ?
Safeguarding. Even if they had cameras on, i can only see 4 people at once on my screen (and one of them is me) and when I am sharing a PowerPoint, I can only see the PowerPoint

Slick

Guru
I'm currently teaching 6th form over Teams. It's awful. They have their cameras off so I can't see from their reactions whether I am going too fast or too slow, I'm sitting in my living room rabbiting on to a PowerPoint on my iPad. It is almost impossible to get any meaningful interaction with the class. I hate it. I also question it's benefit over providing recordings, professionally made videos etc.
That sounds awful, my only solace to your comments is that I'm delivering commercial training that the learner is paying for and can't get back to work until it's completed so they are desperate to get this done. That said, we will need to deal with what you describe when we return to apprenticeships but hopefully we will have overcome those issues by then. I know all the schools were given Teams, and we work quite a lot with the app for sharing and meetings but when it comes to delivering, zoom makes a difference and you can see everyone to check their reactions. Not a lot of help to you if you can't access it though.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Interesting article here: https://www.teachertoolkit.co.uk/2020/03/29/zoom-safeguarding/

My own experience, as an adult learner on Zoom, is pretty positive. I've been studying Italian at the local college for the last 3 years in a smallish class (6-8 learners) and following the lockdown, lessons moved to online.

Other than not being able to pass the biscotti around, there's very little difference - if anything, we're more attentive in front of the laptop than we were in the classroom.

I appreciate, of course, that there are some considerations that apply more to school pupils than to adult learners.

Julia9054

Guru
That sounds awful, my only solace to your comments is that I'm delivering commercial training that the learner is paying for and can't get back to work until it's completed so they are desperate to get this done. That said, we will need to deal with what you describe when we return to apprenticeships but hopefully we will have overcome those issues by then. I know all the schools were given Teams, and we work quite a lot with the app for sharing and meetings but when it comes to delivering, zoom makes a difference and you can see everyone to check their reactions. Not a lot of help to you if you can't access it though.
My son is using zoom to access lectures/tutorials (university). It certainly has more useable features than Teams. I think most schools initially rejected zoom due to security concerns.
On zoom, i can get 9 people on my iPad screen at once. On his laptop, he can get the whole class and as they are adults, their cameras are on.

Slick

Guru
Interesting article here: https://www.teachertoolkit.co.uk/2020/03/29/zoom-safeguarding/

My own experience, as an adult learner on Zoom, is pretty positive. I've been studying Italian at the local college for the last 3 years in a smallish class (6-8 learners) and following the lockdown, lessons moved to online.

Other than not being able to pass the biscotti around, there's very little difference - if anything, we're more attentive in front of the laptop than we were in the classroom.

I appreciate, of course, that there are some considerations that apply more to school pupils than to adult learners.
Huge difference between youths and adults, obviously not all but very much in general that shouldn't be underestimated.

Top Bottom