Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silva

Über Member
Why do you think they won't ?
That is aside my question.
How can people fear common flu / other spreading virii, if governments forced upon rules are intended to stop the SARS-CoV2 type virus spreading.
Or put in an analogy: if a wall is ment to stop a tank, why fear a car?

C R

Guru
That is aside my question.
How can people fear common flu / other spreading virii, if governments forced upon rules are intended to stop the SARS-CoV2 type virus spreading.
Or put in an analogy: if a wall is ment to stop a tank, why fear a car?
The incidence of flu and common cold this year is way down on previous years, as expected, the measures put in place to stop covid also stop other diseases transmitted via the same mechanism.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01538-8

silva

Über Member
Yes it is

They do (though obvs not infallible). I realise I am a data set of one but I have not had a cold since the end of January. As a teacher, that is unheard of.
I’m not expecting my record to last
I usually have every year two periods of unable to breathe through nose (annoyant since that's what I do), partly lost voice, about a week each. In older years usually september october, in more recent august september, for what that change is worth statistically.
In early august I had a couple days only voice, and only a bit, not worth speaking of. It was like a attempt to a begin that didn't begin.
Don't know why, but I never (entire life) had colds after october. It's like the early infections train the immune system to cope with the later.
Your case is totally different, as a teacher plenty contact, my case is alot less, I work alone, nearly no family left, only some same people I see / speak to at shops.
But this situation is since a long time, and for me it's too soon to talk about 2020 already.
At work, and as usual / every year, they offered a couple weeks ago vaccinations against flu.
So despite the rather extreme (never occurred before in history) government actions, there is still some fear out there for common flu and other virii, and that I find weird / illogical.
A typical flu season kills 250k-500k people worldwide.
Imagine 2020 (3+ months left) or 2021 having such a flu season, despite all the corona related limits on and control over people. That would be remarkable, no?

classic33

Leg End Member
Unpleasant? I do one every week, twice last week. It's a bit uncomfortable, makes your eyes water but it's OK. Honestly it's nothing too bad. The availability and the waiting time does need sorting out though, it's no good if it's putting people off.

If the government wanted your DNA, if you're young enough they already have it so I wouldn't worry.
Well, he'll have had blood tests over the years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ok,cards on the table! The NWO are running the country...obviously,seeing as they run the whole world,so i won't be having any DNA gathering 'covid' test and i won't be having any vaccine,not even a flu one as we simply don't know what crap they'll be injecting into us!👎
Dr. Li-Meng Yan

C R

Guru
Like for nincompoop, and the general sentiment, but especially for nincompoop, greatly underused in my opinion.
I like how it sounds, the mere sound of it conveys its meaning, it is almost onomatopoeic.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well, he'll have had blood tests over the years.
And unless they're particularly interesting or unusual, those blood samples will have had the requested tests performed and then been incinerated, probably within a matter of weeks.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It looks like us single/living alone people are going to be hit hard....again!! Never mind all this 'we can't hug our grandchildren,because of the rule of 6' blah blah. People living alone need social interaction! A few of us were discussing this down the pub last night. The main reason for us going down the pub isn't to get 'pissed',it's to meet folk and talk about this and that,even if it's just tittle tattle. One of the group is a single bloke who fixes roofs for a living. He says he can go all day without talking to anyone,until he goes down the pub for a few pints.

It was bad enough in the spring and summer when the pubs were closed,but the thought of being under a 10pm curfew,or even worse no pubs and a curfew during the dark nights is frightening!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lockdown-TWO-WEEKS-unless-Rule-Six-works.html

johnblack

Über Member
It looks like us single/living alone people are going to be hit hard....again!! Never mind all this 'we can't hug our grandchildren,because of the rule of 6' blah blah. People living alone need social interaction! A few of us were discussing this down the pub last night. The main reason for us going down the pub isn't to get 'pissed',it's to meet folk and talk about this and that,even if it's just tittle tattle. One of the group is a single bloke who fixes roofs for a living. He says he can go all day without talking to anyone,until he goes down the pub for a few pints.

It was bad enough in the spring and summer when the pubs were closed,but the thought of being under a 10pm curfew,or even worse no pubs and a curfew during the dark nights is frightening!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lockdown-TWO-WEEKS-unless-Rule-Six-works.html
I've seen it mentioned on here time again, the sneering way that the mention of pubs includes "getting drunk", this is not why most people go and says far more about the perceptions of those puritans than the many people that just enjoy a pint, some company and a bit of a laugh. God knows we need it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've seen it mentioned on here time again, the sneering way that the mention of pubs includes "getting drunk", this is not why most people go and says far more about the perceptions of those puritans than the many people that just enjoy a pint, some company and a bit of a laugh. God knows we need it.
Exactly!! i was down my local last night for 2 hours. In those 2 hours i spoke more words than i'd said all day. That wasn't hard as i hadn't spoken to anyone all day,apart from the woman in the test centre queue. In those 2 hours i had 2 halves of bitter. One i bought,the other was bought for me by a bloke i give a lift home to. Just because 'the young' aren't social distancing in pubs,that doesn't mean us older ones should suffer another totally depressing lockdown of our social lives! So let me see...my 60th birthday is due in November. If the pubs are closed how the f..k can i celebrate/commemorate it! I can't even go to the local gym i'm a member of as they show no signs of re-opening! Don't phone the 'Crisis' helpline either if you feel suicidal! It gives false hope! I once phoned,thinking they'd send somebody out straight away,like you'd expect if you called the emergency services. No,i was met with umpteen stupid questions by some hippy social worker sounding type who seemed doped up! I had to keep repeating my answers to him,then eventually he said something like "Ok,let's see,i can make an appointment for a week on Tuesday". Yes,if you're feeling suicidal folks they can come and save you,but you'll have to wait 11 days like i did!!

Last edited:

My son is partially sighted, lives alone in his flat, and has worked from home for the whole of the lockdown. I pop over to see him a couple of times a week just to give him some company, which I couldn't even do in the earlier lockdown days.

He likes a beer or two, and if it wasn't for his local (a Wetherspoons) where he knows a couple of other regulars he would just drink alone at home with no company. That in itself can lead to other problems.

Yes, drinking to excess does reduce inhibitions and make social distancing less likely, but that is not the way most people drink in pubs.

Top Bottom