Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why is there such a difference in being able to get a test?

Four tests so far*, no symptoms/routine hospital visits, and I'm asked if I want to be tested. Others can't even get one test.

*Offered another two on Saturday, but declined them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Why is there such a difference in being able to get a test?

Four tests so far*, no symptoms/routine hospital visits, and I'm asked if I want to be tested. Others can't even get one test.

*Offered another two on Saturday, but declined them.

Perhaps, it depends on the area?

I am in South Tyneside, no sign of random testings, as far as I am aware, but, on a recent cycle ride through North Tyneside (same tier level at the time, ie tier 3 then), I encountered several signs for "walk-in" testing centres.

lane

Veteran
Some places are doing random testing - Liverpool was a while ago. I would have thought it would be London and The South East if anywhere now.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
The daily new cases figure re new variant was on the wane in yesterday's briefing charts for both London and the SE.

Seems to me that T4 was working ok there.
How fast and how far does it need to drop for the measures to be considered as working OK and then suitable for relaxation? You may be right but I’d prefer that we keep the pressure on until there’s a long term dip in the figures and significant vaccine deployment.

I recognise that is easy for me to say as I have a secure job that can be partly done remotely, a home office in which to work, and no school age kids. I have great sympathy with those in different circumstances.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
How fast and how far does it need to drop for the measures to be considered as working OK and then suitable for relaxation? You may be right but I’d prefer that we keep the pressure on until there’s a long term dip in the figures and significant vaccine deployment.

I recognise that is easy for me to say as I have a secure job that can be partly done remotely, a home office in which to work, and no school age kids. I have great sympathy with those in different circumstances.

I can't really answer your question tbh.

I think the moot point is that the graphs displayed either give you hope or reason for dismay.

With all the other graphs displayed on the same slide heading north it was heartening to see the two areas first affected by new variant heading south.

That, and the very rapid achievement of +1 million 'jabs', gave me some hope that we are making some progress towards happier times.

It must be a hard call to make when trends are heading down but precautionary measure are being ramped up as per these two areas. The same happened in Liverpool when some parts were flattening in terms of infection rates following T3 implementation but were then shifted into T4 along with their somewhat behind the curve neighbours.

If the trend continues downwards in London and the SE maybe that's where we can look to see where the likely endpoint of full lockdown will be as they could well be the first to be released for want of a better term?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I can't really answer your question tbh.
Sorry SD, I quoted you but wasn’t demanding that you provide better answers than I can.

As a general feeling I’d prefer that we don’t make the same mistakes again and unlock too quickly. Not yet from my immediate circle fortunately, but I’m hearing of deaths and hospitalisations at only a couple of degrees of separation here in London this time round. My wife knows a paramedic quite well and is hearing grim tales of ambulances queuing outside hospitals in a way that hasn’t been seen previously.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Sorry SD, I quoted you but wasn’t demanding that you provide better answers than I can.

As a general feeling I’d prefer that we don’t make the same mistakes again and unlock too quickly.
Not yet from my immediate circle fortunately, but I’m hearing of deaths and hospitalisations at only a couple of degrees of separation here in London this time round. My wife knows a paramedic quite well and is hearing grim tales of ambulances queuing outside hospitals in a way that hasn’t been seen previously.

I wish it was possible to qualify likes!

Bolded is the liked part and the rest is obviously sad.

On the upside we personally now know of 7 people in their 80's that have had their initial jabs - the top line figure is good but it becomes more impactful to an extent when it is happening to people you know.

Maybe we need a Covid Good News thread to provide some sense of hope!

vickster

Legendary Member
It's about 1k /100k cases here according to the BBC case checker :ohmy:
...I'd personally like it back down to 100/100k as it was for a long time before relaxing (and actual compliance with the regs that remain afterwards)!!

(but again it doesn't really affect me, especially as the moment as I can't easily go out anyhow and I can wfh ...pretty much only going out for quick visits home to see the cat and hospital on Friday! :wacko: )

Reactions: C R

lane

Veteran
Parents getting their vacination today - well hope my mum does as she has allergies and they weren't sure to start with

Top Bottom