Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Paul - my anecdata
(Almost certainly) caught 'it' at the first large gathering I attended (in July) on a Thursday. Felt rough Sunday evening; bit better Mon am; tested (LFT) +ve Mon am; symptom free Tue am; following Monday wanting to celebrate mother's birthday (in 90s, she'd 'had it' lightly a couple of months earlier) with her and my siblings (one immune-compromised) I tested again (so this is 8 days after first symptoms and 12 days after catching): still +ve. Didn't go, not because I thought I'd be infectious but because of sister desperate not to take risk (she caught it elsewhere a few weeks later) and more or less said: don't come. They had a great time; and I missed out on celebrating my mother's birthday with her/them. My mother lost out; so did I.

May not be milder but in a population with a very good measure of protection if not immunity against serious illness, the effects of infection are magnitudes less.
Do you think people should behave in a different manner if they have flu rather than COVID-19 in "health, care/nursing home and community care settings"? Do you advocate we produce and distribute flu tests? I'd not go into one of those settings if I had flu.
Are you sure that 'long flu' is not a thing? I'm sure if someone suggests that all manner of ailments could be associated with it, rightly or wrongly.
Tom: "we tried common sense and it did not work"
What do you recommend instead? Are there particular NPI measures you'd want to have instated now? Hospital and care home wide wearing of quality masks (indoors) could be a candidate. I'd like to see ventilation for public/semi-public (eg schools) group spaces vastly improved.

I'm fully aware that flu can be of post viral. I was just trying to keep my post simple and not complicate it by having to explain long covid is no way the same as general post viral infections. Covid can effect any part of the body only last week someone with long covid due to extreme lung damage had a double lung transplant. One of Mrs 73 repertory clinics is full of lung issues due to covid. We know two friends who have it they've been off work and mostly in bed for well over a year. It's the extremes of long covid that set aport form others and the cost to health service and wider society.

As for Flu we have tried and tested flu surveillance program so know what it's up to and can spot and plan for issues and effects.
Something we never had for covid barrier nursing is standard practice for flu in health settings.
We can open up and keep covid down to minimum levels as pre other infectious desires with effective mitigation. If we'd spent a 10th of what was wasted on unsafe PPE and failed track and trace. On improving and fitting effective ventilation of all health and public buildings we'd be well out of it.

What ever measures or advice we now wish to do or go with it's meaningless without effective and fully funded public health teams and awareness campaign. Covid turned public health into a political battle field to suit failed govermant policy. Which Public health is not likely to ever recover from.

Pepole are free to do what they like but make no bones about it this things is not over it's effects maybe less for most but for every admission or primary care patient with covid or its effects. That's capacity that was free a few a years ago. One health worker off with it is one less to care for others. The current state of things it wont take much to push our health service over the edge. We just all need to think and look out for each other. Sadly we don't live in world like that.

tom73

Guru
I'm still not 100% - caught it from my son in early November. First week, nothing more than a head cold. Then it hit my chest, very wheezy for 3-5 days then negatve and back in work. Remained wheezy with an occasional hacking cough. It's still there but much reduced, but could easily be one of the many lingering colds people seem to be getting at the moment. I'm holding off exercise till after Christmas - will have been 2 months off the bike !

My SIL works at the care home MIL used to be in (she's no longer with us) and Covid is rampant again in the home with lots of controls in to try and stop the spread - it's ripping through and they have had numerous deaths. It's one of those things like respiratory infections/flu etc that is here to stay and will take people with other serious health issues.

Sadly the government don't think that last week they quietly removed the requirement for mask wearing in care homes. One Health minister said just in time for Christmas so residents can see smiling facers. Never mind it maybe be the last one they see.

Sadly the government don't think that last week they quietly removed the requirement for mask wearing in care homes. One Health minister said just in time for Christmas so residents can see smiling facers. Never mind it maybe be the last one they see.

Government just thinking they'll save on pensions? I'd not put it past them.

I had Covid at the start of November and I'm well over it now but I do get really tired after exercise now. No issue whilst exercising but I really do drop off to a very heavy sleep after a decent workout.
That's new for me.

I’ve been incredibly lucky and never caught COVID despite my wife catching it twice.

Top Bottom