Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
No point. I would test positive, that's why we are surprised by the guidance. I believe the point is after five days symptom free one is not considered a risk.

There is a point, if you still test positive you are likely still infectious. This isn’t about just following government guidance, which has been somewhat off at times, but doing the right thing. The average time people are testing positive is 9 to 10 days.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Where are you reading that as this is all I can see?
View attachment 671844

Mrs P has been reading this Mo, not me. I'm being guided by her 40+ years experience as a health care professional. I can guarantee she doesn't play around with this stuff.

I get the same as you when I Google. I'll find out for you later.

tom73

Guru
Personally I'm of the opinion it's time to move on and treat it like any other winter cold/flu now that it is a much milder variant. Just use a bit of common sense and stay away from anyone older/compromised.

Does that go for health, care/nursing home and community care settings ?
What milder variant?
Problem is we tried common sense and it did not work. This is public health and the state have completely walk away from it and expect others to deal with the mess. Or ignore the problem and hope it go's away.
You don't get long flu just within the health service last year long covid cost 1M lost working hours.
Factor that up on the whole economy covid is still costing us a mint.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Personally I'm of the opinion it's time to move on and treat it like any other winter cold/flu now that it is a much milder variant. Just use a bit of common sense and stay away from anyone older/compromised.

I'd agree with you Mo, though I feel it's worthwhile being extra cautious during the five days after testing positive, meaning I won't go near anyone during that period. When I was positive last Christmas my symptoms were a 24 hour sniffle and I had randomly tested before a planned visit to a vulnerable person. This time horrid symptoms for 36 hours and since then I've felt fine. I've had many a cold or cough run on much longer than this.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Paul - my anecdata
(Almost certainly) caught 'it' at the first large gathering I attended (in July) on a Thursday. Felt rough Sunday evening; bit better Mon am; tested (LFT) +ve Mon am; symptom free Tue am; following Monday wanting to celebrate mother's birthday (in 90s, she'd 'had it' lightly a couple of months earlier) with her and my siblings (one immune-compromised) I tested again (so this is 8 days after first symptoms and 12 days after catching): still +ve. Didn't go, not because I thought I'd be infectious but because of sister desperate not to take risk (she caught it elsewhere a few weeks later) and more or less said: don't come. They had a great time; and I missed out on celebrating my mother's birthday with her/them. My mother lost out; so did I.
Does that go for health, care/nursing home and community care settings ?
What milder variant?
May not be milder but in a population with a very good measure of protection if not immunity against serious illness, the effects of infection are magnitudes less.
Do you think people should behave in a different manner if they have flu rather than COVID-19 in "health, care/nursing home and community care settings"? Do you advocate we produce and distribute flu tests? I'd not go into one of those settings if I had flu.
Are you sure that 'long flu' is not a thing? I'm sure if someone suggests that all manner of ailments could be associated with it, rightly or wrongly.
Tom: "we tried common sense and it did not work"
What do you recommend instead? Are there particular NPI measures you'd want to have instated now? Hospital and care home wide wearing of quality masks (indoors) could be a candidate. I'd like to see ventilation for public/semi-public (eg schools) group spaces vastly improved.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm still not 100% - caught it from my son in early November. First week, nothing more than a head cold. Then it hit my chest, very wheezy for 3-5 days then negatve and back in work. Remained wheezy with an occasional hacking cough. It's still there but much reduced, but could easily be one of the many lingering colds people seem to be getting at the moment. I'm holding off exercise till after Christmas - will have been 2 months off the bike !

My SIL works at the care home MIL used to be in (she's no longer with us) and Covid is rampant again in the home with lots of controls in to try and stop the spread - it's ripping through and they have had numerous deaths. It's one of those things like respiratory infections/flu etc that is here to stay and will take people with other serious health issues.

Ajax Bay

Guru
ONS data:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths
  • Week ending 9 Dec, 11,694 deaths were registered in England and Wales; 1.8% of those deaths (221) of these deaths had COVID-19 recorded as the underlying cause.
  • 3% increase in all deaths compared with previous week: COVID-19 accounted for about the same %.
  • Rate (all causes) above the five-year average in private homes (19.9%), hospitals (2.3%) and other settings (7.5%), but below the five-year average in care homes (-1.6% below, 39 fewer deaths)
  • Rest of UK: 1647 deaths: 6.5% above the five-year average (for this week of the year).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Maybe not described as long flu, but post viral fatigue can be quite common after flu.

Not trying to downplay Covid, but there’s far more pressing medical issues now and will be in the future because it has delayed so much so I feel it’s time to start concentrating on these.

I'm with you - time to move on but trust the authorities will keep a watchful eye.

Neither Mrs SD or I have had Covid and we have mingled normally ever since the last restrictions were lifted ie when we didn't have to wear masks any more - ages ago.

We have a fairly wide circle of family and friends and, again, it is ages since we heard of one of them having Covid.

Tbh we have pretty much forgotten about Covid in our house and it rarely comes up in conversation with those we know.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe not described as long flu, but post viral fatigue can be quite common after flu.

Not trying to downplay Covid, but there’s far more pressing medical issues now and will be in the future because it has delayed so much so I feel it’s time to start concentrating on these.

What specifically?
Problem is if medical staff have Covid, they don’t work due to the risk of exposing often elderly, sick, vulnerable patients.
If their patients waiting on less urgent appts have Covid, they won’t be seen due to the risk of exposing staff and other patients and so appointments get cancelled if a remote appointment isn’t possible or appropriate

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Ajax Bay - thank you for that. Pretty much where we are.

@Mo1959 @vickster - I'm in full agreement with you both which simply demonstrates how very difficult this all is.

@SpokeyDokey - we've done the same as you but in our closest immediate circle four tested positive inside 48 hours this week. We live perhaps 200 metres apart. My two regular riding buddies have just finished isolation after having Covid. Just what do we do? I've no idea.

From the very beginning we have adhered to Government/NHS guidance, whatever one's opinion on this. Having returned from Vietnam/Cambodia before things got bad here I was following my own routine of cleaning table, cutlery, hand gel, handwashing etc. in cafes, to the amusement of some riding buddies.

The NHS Covid app, after reporting symptoms and test result, advises to avoid contact with people until the 22nd and 23rd respectively. Mrs P, highly experienced health professional of 41 years, has done the research etc.

It's the first Christmas, ever, sons, partners, grandchildren would be together. We've given the kids the exact situation without comment and will leave them to make their own decisions.

I'm not sure we, or any family, could take another approach though I accept there is a view one should avoid all contact till testing negative.........but life has to go on and I may well have contracted this from someone who made no effort to protect others?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Indie Sage of Friday offered this advice:
1671634240239.png

Top Bottom