Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
On Thursday my grandmother died. In a care home. She had COVID-19.

fark this country.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Lady at work kitchen ,had a test today, her friend who she spoke too recently is positive.
Care worker.
So we shall know Saturday whether or not we're all going to need a test.

Our organisation has spent 3 million so far on ppe alone for covid-19
This doesn't include huge expense for food storage ,freezers and all other stuff like coshh

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Things seem back to normal to me.

Had to go and collect a prescription. None of the pharmacy staff in any PPE, nor was anyone else. I followed the government's guidelines of face coverings inside and getting very funny looks off other patients and staff as if it was early March or late Feb!

C R

Guru
Stupid headlines in the Mirror and the Mail.

A recent study from the ONS suggests less than one per cent of the population have had covid-19, I can't see where the 19 million figure in the Mirror comes from.

The headline in the Mail about allowing teachers to be heroes really boils my pi$$, it is very easy to volunteer someone else to be a martyr.

ETA, ONS figures refer to something else, see post below*. Point still stands.

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Stupid headlines in the Mirror and the Mail.

A recent study from the ONS suggests less than one per cent of the population have had covid-19, I can't see where the 19 million figure in the Mirror comes from.

The headline in the Mail about allowing teachers to be heroes really boils my pi$$, it is very easy to volunteer someone else to be a martyr.

I can't make heads nor tails of the 19M. It's based on some study and perhaps a maximum bound. 19M would be way higher than new york city scaled up to the whole of the UK!

Recent studies have generally come out with lower numbers. The ONS study initially had wide bounds but came out towards the lower end in the final results.

From yesterday's Guardian:
[my bold]

"A new study from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggested that one in 400 people had the virus outside hospitals and care homes over the past two weeks, described by Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer for England, as “very low” circulation in the community."

So if I've understood correctly, that is (roughly) the number who are infectious in the community. So if i snog 400 random people in the street, I have a high chance of receiving a good dose. Just 50 and I will probably be OK :smile:

C R

Guru
From yesterday's Guardian:
[my bold]

"A new study from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggested that one in 400 people had the virus outside hospitals and care homes over the past two weeks, described by Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer for England, as “very low” circulation in the community."

So if I've understood correctly, that is (roughly) the number who are infectious in the community. So if i snog 400 random people in the street, I have a high chance of receiving a good dose. Just 50 and I will probably be OK :smile:
Yes, that's right, I misused the figure in my post above, the ONS figures are for active cases, rather than people who have had covid-19 already. Based on other studies I have seen, though, figures in various places around the world vary between 1 and 5 percent of the population having had covid-19, based on antibody testing. I don't think that kind of study has been done in the UK yet, so still not clear where the 19 million comes from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes, that's right, I misused the figure in my post above, the ONS figures are for active cases, rather than people who have had covid-19 already. Based on other studies I have seen, though, figures vary between 1 and 5 percent of the population having had covid-19 in various places, based on antibody testing. I don't think that kind of study has been done in the UK yet, so still not clear where the 19 million comes from.
From the headline writer.

Lurid headlines sell newspapers, "Nothing much happening" doesn't.

lane

Veteran
Reportedly one in 400, i.e. 0.25%
That was figure who currently have not ever had it. Figure who ever had it is probably between 5 and 10 percent. No way of knowing until the antibody test is ready and even then there will be questions.

Top Bottom