Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Can't wait for our children [33 and 30] to have theirs + hopefully the rate of uptake of the vaccine will improve with people who have refused it up to now.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Had the vaccine last night - Astra Veneca - no bother at all, hardly felt it. Arm ached a bit later and a bit of a headache but nothing to notice really.

Now my head is pounding, I feel like I'm burning up (but no temperature) and every joint is aching terribly. Apparently these are expected side effects though.

While in Stuttgart on the Weekend, noticed Beautiful Daughter had a runny nose. Now Beautiful Wife has sent as WhatsApp saying Beautiful Daughter has a slight temperature.

Told work, and they say I have to self isolate and take a free "quick test" administered by the local chemist.

First test is tomorrow morning so I get the day off...

Beautiful Daughter apparently has no fever any more and just a runny nose: it's probably a cold as there's one going around, along with a tummy bug. I'll still have to do the test tomorrow though.

I've had a call from work asking about her test and/or results, which is unusually cautious of them.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Had the vaccine last night - Astra Veneca - no bother at all, hardly felt it. Arm ached a bit later and a bit of a headache but nothing to notice really.

Now my head is pounding, I feel like I'm burning up (but no temperature) and every joint is aching terribly. Apparently these are expected side effects though.
Better now - it doesn't last ^_^

Beautiful Daughter apparently has no fever any more and just a runny nose: it's probably a cold as there's one going around, along with a tummy bug. I'll still have to do the test tomorrow though.

I've had a call from work asking about her test and/or results, which is unusually cautious of them.

The story continues...

I now have the symptoms of an early cold, so the Corona test centre can't test me, and I was told to go to the doctor. He was less then pleased as he's not really set up for this, so I've been told to go back in about an hour...

I'll probably ask to be signed off for a few days anyway because it will be simpler for work and for me: If I go to work snuffling then clients are gauranteed to catch it no matter how careful I am, and then they will need testing... and on it will go...

The story continues...

I now have the symptoms of an early cold, so the Corona test centre can't test me, and I was told to go to the doctor. He was less then pleased as he's not really set up for this, so I've been told to go back in about an hour...

I'll probably ask to be signed off for a few days anyway because it will be simpler for work and for me: If I go to work snuffling then clients are gauranteed to catch it no matter how careful I am, and then they will need testing... and on it will go...

Test complete (ouch)

Result comes in tomorrow, but I'm signed off from Yesterday to the end of the week: it's just simpler for everyone that way.

Test complete (ouch)

Result comes in tomorrow, but I'm signed off from Yesterday to the end of the week: it's just simpler for everyone that way.

To my complete lack of surprise the test was negative.

My word but everything is kicking off on the vaccination front.

We're getting a visit from the mobile vaccination service next week: we are a priority because our clients are people with disabilities, and therefore at a higher risk. The health department will set up a vaccination centre in the workshop and all the clients from different workshops and protected housing will come to get their vaccinations on the same day.

The only problem from my point of view is that the second vaccination is scheduled for after my contract has ended; if I'm no longer working with people with disabilities I'm not such high priority and in fact I was told by someone from the HR department that I was "no longer eligible" and couldn't be vaccinated on Friday.

One phone call later it was clear the health department disagreed most strongly; I was told I could jolly well be vaccinated and it was no business of my employer.

Then today we were told that all the pre vaccination paperwork "had to be" filled in online with each client, so we made a start on that, pulling people into the office, filling in the forms, printing them off and then giving the choice of taking the forms home or leaving them in a ring file the safe. This takes longer than you may expect with some people because they get confused or frightened so we have to explain why we are doing this and what choices they have et c.

We also have to reorganise the workshop so that there's a treatment room and observation room so anyone who has been vaccinated can be checked for side effects.

We also have some who will try and get attention and one in particular was predicting that she'd pass out and need an ambulance. She's never had a problem before but she was letting everyone know that it could happen. She loudly demanded to know what would happen if she 'passed out'.

The response from her team leader was "Make sure you do it in a corner so no-one trips over you by mistake".

She has a sense of humour and got the message...

I thought this may cheer people up.

The Miniature Wonderland is a very large permanent model railway exhibition in Hamburg, and they are obviously affected by the lockdown, however they're responding well by using the time for maintenance and also completing some really surprising challenges. This is the latest: the longest piece of music played by a train.

It's also worth watching until the end to see the "Making of" sequences.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I thought this may cheer people up.

The Miniature Wonderland is a very large permanent model railway exhibition in Hamburg, and they are obviously affected by the lockdown, however they're responding well by using the time for maintenance and also completing some really surprising challenges. This is the latest: the longest piece of music played by a train.

It's also worth watching until the end to see the "Making of" sequences.

Brilliant!

In other news, I had the first vaccination today.

There had been a bit of a question as to whether I could have the second dose here because my contract ends a week before they come back. My colleague in the social services department who technically outranks all of my regular team was disgusted by this, and resolved the problem neatly by saying loudly in this morning's team meeting "Andy in Germany, you are aware that you can come back for your second vaccination, aren't you?"

We had some chaos: some clients didn't have a medicines list with them and we had to run about getting hold of them; some tried to get attention by telling everyone about the potential side effects, and of course the organisation (which had carefully made sure the day was before a weekend to avoid people having time off) demanded that everyone clock out before their vaccination, and clock in afterwards even though they were in the building for the entire 20 minutes this took. We "forgot" that instruction so unfortunately, we will have to send the personal department a manual correction sheet for all 50 odd clients and staff, and see if they bother to book them in one by one...

The docs and their team were fantastic and very patient with the clients and organisation, although they said that all other organisations like this had organised the first vaccinations ages ago and were now on the second course.

The Vaccine was the BioNtech/Comirnaty version, so far just a slightly stiff shoulder...

Last edited:
Top Bottom