Coronavirus commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

munroman

Regular
So under the new UK rules. One form of exercise per day. Can I commute to and from work or will that count as two as there is an eight hour gap.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
So under the new UK rules. One form of exercise per day. Can I commute to and from work or will that count as two as there is an eight hour gap.
The guidelines say travelling to and from work if your work is essential so you should be fine.

Reactions: C R

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can do a 200km ride if you want. The order is unenforceable. You got a lift to work to collect your bike. Nobody knows when you rode.

But be aware that Strava is your enemy 😁

Seriously though. Its all about being aware, being sensible and keeping your distance. We are allowed to ride in Denmark🇩🇰.

Last week I commuted 200km and saw three people walking. 20km this morning. I didnt see anyone.

I glanced at the UK guidelines yesterday and it says you can go to work. But it does not stipulate how you must get there. Cycling in this case is transport to and from
work and not physical exercise.

You see how hard it would be to police?

My ride to work was wonderful today 😁

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
In this forum there are no unserious questions. Just unserious answers 😁
OK, then my serious answer is that commuting by bike is fine and probably preferable to using public transport. Also that anybody leaving their house when it's not absolutely necessary, or trying to find loopholes in government guidance, or ignoring advice because of issues around enforcement, is a murderer.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am in Denmark🇩🇰 We are allowed to ride. I am riding my 40km commute every day to work as a sailmaker. Yes. Most of Denmark business is working.

Denmark was ridiculed for being one of the first to close it borders, schools, restaurants, public offices, shops. Everything was closed very quickly. Packages to help all business and self employed were put in place very quickly. If I lose my job I get 80% of my salary for 2 years. The government in Demark appear to know what they are doing. Banning cycling does not appear on their list.

Riding a bike is fine providing you are taking the necessary precaution of social distancing and riding sensibly. Were not going to have accidents just because there is a virus.

I ride 20km to work this morning and saw nobody. It will be the same on the way home.

Your government let you down which is why you are in the position you are now. Dont follow them and all go barking mad.

BigMeatball

You can do a 200km ride if you want. The order is unenforceable. You got a lift to work to collect your bike. Nobody knows when you rode.

Stupid attitudes like this one is what led to the stricter measures.

I keep reading and hearing people saying things on line of "how are they going to prove you did XYZ....how can they enforce the lockdown...". They think they're smarter than the rest, but actually they're nothing more than a bunch of irresponsible morons.

winjim

Smash the cistern

I keep reading and hearing people saying things on line of "how are they going to prove you did XYZ....how can they enforce the lockdown...". They think they're smarter than the rest, but actually they're nothing more than a bunch of irresponsible morons.
You know the reason I don't go around committing murder has nothing to do with the law or the authorities' ability to enforce it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

And yet look at Denmarks figures to the UKs.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

You totally missed my serious point.

But we are still cycling in Denmark and not just for work. There is no ban.

Look how Denmark is fareing compared to the UK.

BigMeatball

And yet look at Denmarks figures to the UKs.

It's not a matter of figures.

It's a matter of following the advice coming from your government (that is given for a reason) instead of just saying you know what, screw that, I'm going to do whatever the hell I want.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom