Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can relate to the two Marias' motive (visiting family). Nearly everyone with family is in the same boat. But I can't sympathise with their plight: it could be qualitatively foreseen, or at least it could be foreseen that they might have to stay [...]
Come on! Is her plight "unexpected" or "could [it] be qualitively foreseen"?

AuroraSaab

Veteran
The symptoms are so variable and whilst older folk or people with underlying conditions are more at risk, it's worth noting that many do recover. A 92 year old relative of my OH's, with a lot of other illnesses going on, had it and recovered. I know quite a few who have had it with symptoms between almost asymptomatic to feeling really rough for 2 weeks. We need to all keep up the vigilance and hopefully the decline in infections will continue.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cancelled flights and quarantine complications (and potential for additional costs) on return to UK would surely be foreseeable when the various trips were being planned/booked and certainly when flying out - that's what I described as qualitatively foreseeable. These sorts of risks in 'normal' life can routinely be insured for. Not at present though: people are travelling uninsured against these hazards.
HTH

Ajax Bay

Guru
Complications (extra costs) foreseeable (so 'qualitatively') but the quantum not. Maybe this is poor or inapplicable usage. In which case 'my bad' (I'm told is the current form ;))

Ajax Bay

Guru
Interesting 'The Conversation' interview with Sharon Peacock, Professor of public health and microbiology at the University of Cambridge and driver of Cog-UK)
The UK is a world leader in (genomic) sequencing SARS-CoV-2. Of all the coronavirus genomes that have been sequenced in the world, nearly half have been sequenced by COVID-19 Genomics UK Consortium (Cog-UK). The consortium began life on March 4 when , she emailed a handful of scientists and asked for their help.

One Q addresses the concern that widespread vaccination will result in further mutations to our detriment or is it just case numbers?
Q: Is a certain amount of evolutionary selective pressure created when we start to vaccinate lots of people? Or is the greater number of people in which the virus has the opportunity to mutate the greater problem of the two?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Entirely dependent on the population inclined to immediately start partying because they think it's over and the government thinking long term not short term.

• Sad
Reactions: mjr

PK99

Legendary Member
Interesting 'The Conversation' interview with Sharon Peacock, Professor of public health and microbiology at the University of Cambridge and driver of Cog-UK)
The UK is a world leader in (genomic) sequencing SARS-CoV-2. Of all the coronavirus genomes that have been sequenced in the world, nearly half have been sequenced by COVID-19 Genomics UK Consortium (Cog-UK). The consortium began life on March 4 when , she emailed a handful of scientists and asked for their help.

One Q addresses the concern that widespread vaccination will result in further mutations to our detriment or is it just case numbers?
Q: Is a certain amount of evolutionary selective pressure created when we start to vaccinate lots of people? Or is the greater number of people in which the virus has the opportunity to mutate the greater problem of the two?

Thank you for that link.

Very fleet of foot!

Idea late Feb
Initiating e-mail 4 March
Government and other funding in place by 1 April

50% of world covid Genome sequencing by this project.

Very impressive leadership.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Amanda Holden is the latest to join the celeb roll of Covid shame.

The excuse for her weekend away in Cornwall was the need to visit her father following a 'distressing' phone call from him.

Despite being distressed, father was kind enough not to ring his daughter until a few hours after she'd finished her radio programme on Friday.

Amanda immediately dropped everything (now there's a thought), and hotfooted it the 200 miles to be at her father's side.

Yet a spokesman for her tells us she did not 'act on whim'.

The cynic in me wonders if this was no more than a pre-planned jolly, and the phone call only 'appeared' after she was outed by The Sun.

There are medical care exemptions to the travel restrictions, but Amanda has stopped short of claiming any of those.

Even if her story is true, modern video and other communication make it very hard to justify a face to face meeting in the current circumstances.

I'm sure many ordinary families have dealt with similar situations without resorting to breaking the law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56058923

mjr

Amanda Holden is the latest to join the celeb roll of Covid shame.
Latest to be targetted by a media witchhunt that is ignoring the gulf between "rules" and law, more like.

Despite being distressed, father was kind enough not to ring his daughter until a few hours after she'd finished her radio programme on Friday.
Or Friday afternoon. It's not unusual for elderly relatives to wait until someone is off work before calling

Amanda immediately dropped everything (now there's a thought),
Perv.
There are medical care exemptions to the travel restrictions, but Amanda has stopped short of claiming any of those.
First, she would not need to, if father is over 70, then some types of supporting him is an exception in itself too.

Secondly, it is not for her to share her father's medical details.

Maybe she could have proceeded differently, or maybe this was best. She did not make the rules and it seems a grey-area case, yet people treat her more harshly than those who do. This is odd.

mjr

Are people reluctant to accept it did not start from a lab outbreak because they are pangolin supporters?
boris-bishop-jog-960x600.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Latest to be targetted by a media witchhunt that is ignoring the gulf between "rules" and law, more like.

Or Friday afternoon. It's not unusual for elderly relatives to wait until someone is off work before calling

Perv.

First, she would not need to, if father is over 70, then some types of supporting him is an exception in itself too.

Secondly, it is not for her to share her father's medical details.

Maybe she could have proceeded differently, or maybe this was best. She did not make the rules and it seems a grey-area case, yet people treat her more harshly than those who do. This is odd.

The quote, attributed to Amanda, that she 'had to' break the rules tells us all we need to know.

It's the usual 'the law shouldn't apply to me because I'm more important than the rest of you' displayed by far too many entertainers and sports stars.

She travelled with what an eye witness described as 'lots of luggage'.

Another indication the trip wasn't the unforeseen crisis response she claims it was.

We are told her self-awarded exemption certificate was valid partly because she didn't come into contact with any members of the public.

What was her driver in the black Mercedes - an alien?

As regards me being a perv, as a heterosexual male, I would be a perv if I didn't see the double entendre in Amanda 'dropping everything'.

Best you stick to your laughable campaign to portray everything this government does with Covid as incompetent.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm surprised by how much earlier France's infections peaked. Is it possible that the ''Kent'' variation was already widespread but undetected in France before it was discovered in Kent? (France in dark blue, UK in light blue.)
1613296999743.png

The Guardian attributes the graph to John Hopkins but I'll be damned if I can find it!

Top Bottom