Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
lol had a nice Zoom call where another relative invited my Covid Denying Aunt and Uncle, that was fun, they started tell my mother not to take the flu jab as it contains mercury and the such, when it got the nano trackers in the Covid one I couldn’t hold it in anymore.

I said it’s a mercury derivative not pure mercury a simple google search will tell you this.

I said the nano trackers lol far easier ways of doing that plus you own and use a smart phone and GPS tracker smart watches, so don’t be a hypocrite if you’re gonna preach they are tracking you while using an abundance of traceable tech. I also said why are you so important you need to be tracked.

it then bounced back to an earlier argument where they argued that Covid isn’t classed in the same degree as Ebola, I said no totally different ones a respiratory illness the other is a haemorrhagic fever, in this same earlier arguement I had also said I trust some people I know on their opinions, one is a doc I have known since pre school so life long friends virtually, I got the my mate in the pub said comment.

I did retort back one of these is far from a friend, they said some dumb comment, I said you forget my wife’s a nurse so yea go figure, their response, well yea but she is paid to parrot what the government line is, that’s why people are picketing and attacking hospital staff.

Kinda lost my mind with that comment and told them exactly what I thought of them and their crackpot ideas, I laid a load of deaths on people like them saying/spreading this crap as the reason some don’t stick to the rules so they are in directly responsible.

I’m not doing family Zoom meetings again, then again, it’s better than face to face where I think I wouldn’t knocked his block off.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nightclub in Birmingham and pub in Dudley raided by police, loads of daffodils picked up https://www.thejournal.ie/birmingham-illegal-nightclub-5355570-Feb2021/

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Any thoughts on the reported big decline in infection cases in India? Been suggested they might be achieving herd immunity but I can't see that at this stage. Younger population being asymptomatic? People not reporting infections?

I was worried that once covid hit the developing world it would engulf them, but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment, apart from South America. Hopefully they will all be getting the vaccine too pretty soon.

mjr

Any thoughts on the reported big decline in infection cases in India? Been suggested they might be achieving herd immunity but I can't see that at this stage. Younger population being asymptomatic? People not reporting infections?
Those are three theories. Others include immunity as a result of some other illness prevalent in India (candidates include cholera, typhoid and tuberculosis), extreme enforcement of mask-wearing, or the wide variations in population density hindering the spread. See https://www.thejournal.ie/india-covid19-case-levels-drop-5355716-Feb2021/

Meanwhile, a court in the Netherlands has struck down their curfew because the government used emergency powers to impose it, rather than attempting legislation. https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/...ly-court-rules-the-hague-rutte-viruswaarheid/

PK99

Legendary Member

Ajax Bay

Guru
Please could someone share a good link for me to use with someone down here (ie local) showing the direct effect of lock down on the number of cases reported daily - any country.

mjr

Lliberal Western democracies struggle where the authoritarian countries or compliant Asian cultures find control or compliance much easier
Maybe, but why should emergency powers be used for this shoot instead of passing laws in the normal manner, albeit maybe with a sped-up process? Of course, it is easy to sit in the UK and write this, because most of the law being used for our lockdown was passed almost 40 years ago under a landslide government so I don't know how much scrutiny it had.

mjr

Please could someone share a good link for me to use with someone down here (ie local) showing the direct effect of lock down on the number of cases reported daily - any country.
Best I can think of right now is to go to https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-lockdowns/ and open the lockdown tracker in one window and the case graphs in another and put them side by side.

Remember of course that restrictions work on the R number, which then takes a while to show up in case detection rate changes.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Those are three theories. Others include immunity as a result of some other illness prevalent in India (candidates include cholera, typhoid and tuberculosis),

That's interesting, thanks for that. I know early on over here there was some speculation that older ethnic minority patients were suffering a higher death rate because they came to the UK as adults and hadn't had the MMR etc that kids get here.

But I guess they were also too old to have been part of mass vaccination in India etc. when it was introduced. It will be years I suppose until we know how much of a part these factors play.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thank you @AuroraSaab , but I'm after " showing the direct effect of lock down on the number of cases reported daily".
I am familiar (over-familiar?) with the day-to-day figures but looking for something I can use to demonstrate a causative relationship rather than a correlation. Maybe I'll have to go the other way and show how failure to lock down meant the cases numbers were greater than they would have been if the country (Sweden? or state in US, say) had locked down.
Thank you @classic33

Top Bottom