Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What triggered the sudden surge of daily new COVID-19 cases arising in most European countries during the autumn of 2020? " The study proves no correlation between the country surge date and the 2 weeks' preceding temperature or humidity but shows an impressive linear correlation with latitude. The country surge date corresponds to the time when its sun UV daily dose drops below ≈ 34% of that of the equator. The date of the surge is an intrapopulation observation and has the benefit of being triggered only by a parameter globally affecting the population, i.e. decreases in the sun UV daily dose." (Goes on to posit populations' reduced Vitamin D (as a result of correlated with severe C19 infection.)
wonder if that's why Florida has been bragging

& there's these nutz

The governors of texas and mississippi said they were lifting mandates & allowing businesses to operate at full capacity, announcements that came in the midst of health experts warning that the spread of more transmissible variants risks sending infection rates soaring once again

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
& there's these nutz

The governors of texas and mississippi said they were lifting mandates & allowing businesses to operate at full capacity, announcements that came in the midst of health experts warning that the spread of more transmissible variants risks sending infection rates soaring once again

That's interesting isn't it, I do wonder if we'll see a big rise in cases in Texas. I'd expect so.

PK99

Legendary Member
View attachment 576972
What triggered the sudden surge of daily new COVID-19 cases arising in most European countries during the autumn of 2020? " The study proves no correlation between the country surge date and the 2 weeks' preceding temperature or humidity but shows an impressive linear correlation with latitude. The country surge date corresponds to the time when its sun UV daily dose drops below ≈ 34% of that of the equator. The date of the surge is an intrapopulation observation and has the benefit of being triggered only by a parameter globally affecting the population, i.e. decreases in the sun UV daily dose." (Goes on to posit populations' reduced Vitamin D (as a result of correlated with severe C19 infection.)
View attachment 576979

Full paper here>>>
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-81419-w

PK99

Legendary Member
Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We will take any slight advantages we can get, won't we?
And where's the harm...?

vickster

Legendary Member
My ECV father has got his free supply...hopefully he's taking it :rolleyes:

Everyone should pretty much take Vit D anyhow for general health especially outside of summer (especially bones - v important for post-menopausal women or folks taking corticosteroids) :okay:

My rheumatologist has just doubled my dose as it was low on 1000IU in the Nov blood test (test has been redone)
(I also get a bit more from the daily Omega 3 and multi-vit and dietary sources presumably)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thing is, the ECV dose being dished out is a paltry 400IU. Which will scarcely shift the needle and have, as they say, a 'sub-therapeutic' effect (if there is any beneficial effect). Like the 12 week gap 'bet', there is no downside to taking Vitamin D in a sensible daily quantity, but there's no 'evidence' of a clear causative link.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably it depends what your baseline Vit D level is as to whether it's sub therapeutic? I don't know why it's only 400IU, there's no cost difference vs. 1000IU when bought in quantity.

Mine is presumably low and seemingly I don't absorb it well (hence other blood tests being done, including for auto immune disease). I've been taking 1000IU+ every day for 4 years I think.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The UK recommended 'winter' dose is 400IU. This has been shown(aiui) to maintain Vitamin D (derivatives) at level deemed to be adequate. This daily dose and the 'adequate' level are lower than many other countries. If Vitamin D reduces susceptibility to respiratory illness, a decent daily dose is required (or enough sunshine - half the length of time it takes to burn is suggested) - 4000IU for me.

Last edited:

Wobblers

Euthermic
I thought much of that was useful (excuse me for reducing your post to a few lines).
1) What metric do you think might offer a better insight into whether the vaccination programme continues to have a positive effect? Given that the vaccines' efficacy in trials and to meet regulatory standards, had specific objectives of:
a) reducing symptomatic C19 (ie positive test with at least one symptom)
b) reducing hospitalisations and deaths by a percentage (?60%)
it seems reasonable to adopt that metric when the time comes to judge whether to reduce restrictions. The longer term affects of C19 (not just long-Covid) are indeed worrying, but not easy to use as a metric, I suggest.
2) Wrt new variants, I suggest that Government strategy assumes no such thing. In fact the 4th 'test' specifically includes that as an 'issue'. The virus is mutating all the time. The key concern is the emergence of a 'variant of concern' (VoC). It seems that the B.1.351 variant is around in small amounts but does not out-compete the B.1.1.7. Even then we don't really have evidence of any quality that the current vaccines are quasi-ineffective against the B.1.351, but we can't be sure, so it's a concern. The P.1 variant is of concern on two counts: science suggests it is more transmissible and also reports of reinfections suggest that it can overcome antibodies generated in people who had previously had the original strain (in Brazil), with the implication for the effectiveness of the current vaccines against it.
3) My opinion is that the likelihood of a partially resistant variant active in UK in the late summer is low. Given that you think it "increasingly likely" what changes to the current Government plan do you think would be beneficial?
4) There will be a third wave (fourth wave for @mjr) in UK no later than January, thobut. The vaccination programme will roll out at pace (and it'll accelerate to previously unseen doses per day from mid March as supplies of vaccine will allow first doses to be delivered alongside the second doses needed). Restrictions will be released with prudence (and a beady eye on irreversibility). Given those two, that 'third wave' will be a wavelet. I do expect some light domestic restrictions to be needed next winter and the limitations on overseas travel are going to be here for many months (imo). UK's beaches and National Parks are set to be crowded (but outside so tranmission risk very low).

1. We have been far focused on hospitalisations and deaths, to the exclusion of all else. This has had the effect of largely ignoring asymptomatic transmission, which has played a major role in the spread of the virus. Data from Israel shows that the vaccines do reduce the numbers of those with asymptomatic infections: a 70% reduction in infections were noted, but over 80% reduction in serious illness. In other words, vaccines reduce serious illness more than asymptomatic infection. This is important, as it means the virus can still spread largely unnoticed in a vaccinated population - and a 30% vulnerable population is quite sufficient for P1 to do just that.

2. In my opinion, no government is taking the probability of further mutations sufficiently seriously. The experience of Manaus serves as an excellent example against complacency. It experienced a very large first wave in which about half the population became infected. Yet this wasn't sufficient to prevent a equally large second wave thanks to a variant which is able to sidestep immune response. Manaus is a reasonable model to use in considering what the effect of P1 will have on a country which has managed to vaccinate most of its people.

Which brings us neatly to point 4. I predicted the probability of a 3rd/4th wave in the summer or autumn on the observation that P1 exists, and it's uniquely able to negate vaccines and natural immunity alike. It's perfectly able to replicate the experience of Manaus in the UK - or anywhere else for that matter. It's already more transmittable than B117: that alone suggests that it will outcompete B117 to become the dominant variant worldwide. Vaccination efforts will serve to enhance its competitive advantage. Without taking the measures \Australia have done, we'll find it very difficult to keep P1 out the UK.

3. This in many ways is the crux of the matter. It's best dealt with in a separate post.

Wobblers

Euthermic
P1 arose in Mnaus, where there was a significant population (about half) who had antibodies against earlier variants. This is unlikely to be a coincidence. A variant which is able to escape the attentions of antibodies of previous infections obviously has an advantage in this environment. It's simply evolution in action. This process took five months.

Given that it took CV19 to evolve a degree of antigen escape in one region in only a matter of months, it is reasonable to expect this behaviour to be repeated in other parts of the world where vaccines are being rolled out. Remember that vaccination does not halt transmission (and hence mutation), merely slows it down. As noted above, data from Israel indicates even if you manage to vaccinate your entire population, 30% will still be vulnerable to infection (though happily far less likely to experience serious illness). More realistically, as you can't vaccinate everyone, the vulnerable population will be closer to 50%. It means there will be plenty of opportunities for the virus to mutate - and antigen escape will be selected for, as it'll confer significant advantages.

Far from being unlikely, further vaccine resistant variants are inevitable. The only question is: how long? Well, P1 evolved in only five months - that suggests we can expect to see new antigen escape variants in a matter of months. They are most likely to appear in large population centres where large numbers of people have been vaccinated or have been previously infected. The best tool to reduce the spread of any new variant will be to restrict international travel.

Top Bottom