Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I have just watched the news here with a piece on what is happening in Brazil at the moment. They are being overrun with variants of the virus whilst their president, Bolsonaro, is still refusing to listen to expert advice, is against masks and lockdowns. Beggars belief.

The real cause of concern apart from the suffering of the Brasilian population itself is the possibility that Brazil is becoming a laboratory for the virus to mutate into forms the current vaccines cannot cope with, and then spread across the world.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Reuters reports (according to source ''with knowledge of the study'') that the AZ vaccine does not need to be modified to protect from the P1 variant. It is less effective with the South African variant and the Sinovac vaccine may not work effectively against the P1 variant. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-variant-exc-idUSKBN2AX1NS

Meanwhile, UK death rate is continuing to fall surprisingly rapidly. Over 40% lower than a week ago.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Dark, very dark:
"Darling, there are one tenth* the number of cases since the first and only day of term so there's less than a tenth of the numbers who have the virus and can pass it on. And the school will be taking lots of sensible precautions to minimise the risk of transmission. There'll be plenty of fresh air in your classroom: keep your coat on to keep warm if you want.
"I know you'll enjoy being back at school and seeing all your friends. There's so much to learn.
"See you later; have a good day. As a special treat, when we get home after school this afternoon I'll lend you my laptop and you can check all the Covid-19 data for fun."
* 4 Jan = 76,179, 1 Mar = <7000 (and likely another 2000+ fewer by 8 Mar) [new cases by date of specimen]

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Coming home today the road near me was packed with 50+ cars either side. There were crowds of people all over as I pulled in for the funeral Conductor so they could come past.

Apparently someone down the road age 44 had died from Covid.

So, what did the crowds do whilst the funeral cortege plus loads of cars filed slowly through? That's right, gather together in large groups then have a long chat. :eek::angry::cursing: With cases still high in my area maybe they're just working out who's next to die?

Blimey, are they all I the first phase priority groups?
Work with 'vulnerable ' kids so head of year wrote them all a letter stating as much and told them to book a test, test centre asked for proof so showed them her letter.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Typo, already said she's had the jab.

Also covered previously in another thread, but you know that.
She? We were asking about "them"!

I don't remember another thread, plus other people are reading this, so please link to it if the question of how all school staff were vaccinated has already been answered.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes, I know it's a Sunday but there are no fatalities recorded for today. Last Sunday the figure was 144. There'll probably be 200-odd tomorrow but, nevertheless, it's not often we get a zero figure. (Does anybody know when that last happened?)

Top Bottom