Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Thanks.

So... the exponent for the UK, France , Germany and the Netherlands was similar in October, so I was wrong to say that the doubling periods were different for those countries. An excellent lesson on how linear plots can easily mislead when it comes to exponential growth! But Belgium is clearly different, so something different was going on in both those cases.

We can look at the inflexion point, where steady or falling death rates change to increasing rates. In August and early September, the data is noisy. However, it looks like Germany and Britain both showed an uptick in early September, while increases in the Netherlands and Belgium were significantly later. France also has a surge in deaths around this time.

Given that deaths are a reflection of infection rates 4 weeks earlier, I think it's reasonable to conclude from this that infection rates were being influenced by local conditions (degree of mixing and restrictions) in August. There are differences between countries, as you'd expect. The timing of the uptick in the UK fatality rate is certainly consistent with Eat Out to Help Out (rise in infection rates in August).

However, all countries show an increase in that time frame, and that's unlikely to be a coincidence. Given that we know that many Covid cases were essentially imported into the UK by returning holidaymakers, I think it's likely that the same thing was happening on the continent - that would certainly account for the closeness of the timing. This was likely the main driver for the increases we saw at the end of August. Eat Out may well have accelerated the process, as it was a significant change in conditions between July and August, but ultimately is unlikely that have been the principal driver for the autumn surge.

Expanding the comparator countries I still see nothing distinctive about the UK pattern following the start of EOTHO - the pattern seems pretty consistent across the countries shown. No link to EOTHO is apparent.

greater comparison.png

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Expanding the comparator countries I still see nothing distinctive about the UK pattern following the start of EOTHO - the pattern seem pretty consistent across the countries shown

View attachment 584203

I think, as I've said before, that it's impossible to deconvolute the effect if EOTHO from other measures, and it's highly unlikely to be a single, critical driver.

All of those comparator countries also relaxed restrictions in various ways in that period.

EOTHO was subsidising risky behaviour, which is why it's come in for particular criticism.

finally got my hair cut after a rather annoying break due to my cutter having "a covid situation". turns out everyone in his house got it. he, his wife & their 7 yr old son. when telling me about it, he seemed to minimize it, & possibly rightly so? he had sinus pressure, still has loss of smell & tinnitus (ringing in ears), his wife had a bad cough & his son had no symptoms at all. I reminded him approx 1,000 Americans & 3,000 Brazilians are still dying every day. also told him about my good experience getting vaccinated. no reaction from him, such as: "wow, that's great, wish we were vaccinated". internally I shook my head. & his mask wearing is weak, often his nose is uncovered. glad to get my hair cut but more relieved he & his family came thru their experience seemingly successfully. I hope he gets vaccinated & stops his thinking that it's no big deal. didn't he mind losing 2-3 weeks of income? wasn't he terrified when his Wife developed a bad cough?

EOTHO was subsidising risky behaviour, which is why it's come in for particular criticism.
... most of it with hindsight goggles on.

I've just flicked back through this thread over the end-of-July, early-Aug period (EOTHO was announced early July) and I've yet to find a single post saying:
"EOTHO is madness with infections on the increase."
It's all masks, holiday quarantine rules, exam results talk.

(I didn't read every single flippin post, but the overall trend seemed clear!)

To me it's just a small blip down in the noise of this pandemic. One might leap to conclusions about the political motivations for discussing it ...

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
... most of it with hindsight goggles on.

General comment at the time on how cases rising should be tackled and strategy made no sense:

Currently our case numbers have been rising week on week for some time.

I hear on the radio that govt are going to run an advertising campaign to get people back to offices due to the effect of low foot fall on city centres.

But surely, if cases are rising, we need to take action to reduce transmission, not actions which will increase it, particularly with the return of schools too. I genuinely don't understand govt strategy.

Specifically shortly later on EOTHO.

So the plonkers paid us to go out into overcrowded restaurants to catch covid. This is literally true.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've just flicked back through this thread over the end-of-July, early-Aug period (EOTHO was announced early July) and I've yet to find a single post saying:
"EOTHO is madness with infections on the increase."
It's all masks, holiday quarantine rules, exam results talk.
Who would be discussing it "end-of-July, early-Aug"? All the discussion of the announcement had subsided and it was too soon for any possible effects to be showing in reports, let alone discussion of such reports.

Why not look at the period of the announcement? Plenty of sarcasm about it being a stupid move then: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/coronavirus-outbreak.256913/post-6063693

Who would be discussing it "end-of-July, early-Aug"? All the discussion of the announcement had subsided and it was too soon for any possible effects to be showing in reports, let alone discussion of such reports.
Thus illustrating my point about hindsight!

If it was such an obviously dangerous move, would the CycleChat Experts sit through August without a murmur of discontent?? Come off it - there were a hundred* posts criticising people for riding their bikes in the fresh air on their own!:laugh:

*may be a gross underestimate

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thus illustrating my point about hindsight!

If it was such an obviously dangerous move, would the CycleChat Experts sit through August without a murmur of discontent??
Yes because the predictions had all been made well before then. No point repeating them instead of waiting for time to tell.

Come off it - there were a hundred* posts criticising people for riding their bikes in the fresh air on their own!:laugh:

*may be a gross underestimate
Oh the bike-haters on here don't seem to mind repeating themselves endlessly. ;)

Wobblers

Euthermic
Expanding the comparator countries I still see nothing distinctive about the UK pattern following the start of EOTHO - the pattern seems pretty consistent across the countries shown. No link to EOTHO is apparent.

View attachment 584203

I did comment that the data was noisy. You've proven nothing other than including more countries makes the data even more noisy. Despite this, there are differences - which you've yet to explain. (Hint: Belgium is not "consistent" with other countries.) I've pointed out, as has roubaixtuesday, that Eat Out was only one effect amongst several. A simple comparison between countries without first smoothing the data to reduce the noise is unlikely to yield much - because the signal we're looking for is of similar magnitude.

Ajax Bay

Guru
interview with the Uo Warwick researcher [on EOHO]
Thank you for sharing that - well found! Looks a quality piece of work (end Oct 2020) with persuasive conclusions. Let's hope authorities take notice and don't waste money on stuff like that again. Once restrictions are relaxed so as to allow indoor dining (no earlier than 17 May), people will not need encouragement/subsidy to indulge in that. And two thirds the adult population will have been vaccinated.
"Dr Thiemo Fetzer of the CAGE Research Centre in the Economics Department at the University of Warwick analyses the causal impact of ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ on COVID-19 infections."
"Areas with a higher rate of uptake (both from restaurants and consumers) experienced a sharp increase in the emergence of new COVID-19 infection clusters a week after the scheme began."
From the paper: "A back of the envelope calculation suggests that the program is accountable for between 8 to 17 percent of all new local infection clusters during that time period."
7 Aug - UK cases = 983 5 weeks later: 11 Sep - UK cases = 3102 A 25% increase in case rates every week.

Johnno260

Veteran
The nuts side of my family basically disowned anyone who has been vaccinated, my sister, mother brother as they have been vaccinated, my wife was removed from all social media as she is vaccinated and as a nurse she is a government puppet.

A quote from my aunt " You chose your side"

She then cries and complains that this situations is creating divides? lol no people like you are.

I said good riddance, I said the false truths and anti mask slogans you spread are the reason others get sick and this illness spreads, my aunt has taken to going into stores un-masked so when she is challenged she creates a scene, so basically gives some poor shop keeper or a kid making some money in a store grief, this is someone who is meant to be a grown adult.

I said their whole theory to me reeks of people throwing their rattle out the pram as they have been asked to do things they don't agree with for the good of others, basically amounts to entitled human trash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom