Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
On what, in particular?

If masks, I linked an article in https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/coronavirus-outbreak.256913/post-6431508 about how old mistakes led to incorrect medical "facts" being established and taking quite some effort to overturn. We had quite a lot of antimask posts on here early in the pandemic. I don't hold it against those who sincerely believed the incorrect medical texts.

Masks is one thing. there was a post on this thread a short time ago where a scientist was desperately trying to get the WHO and others to take seriously airborne spread and they dismissed her advice. These things would have made a massive difference.

Ajax Bay

Guru
a post on this thread a short time ago where a scientist was desperately trying to get the WHO and others to take seriously airborne spread and they dismissed her advice.
It's difficult to engage with this as it's not clear, to me anyway, what the issue is, when they were trying to get WHO to change, and to what extent 'airborne transmission/infection was not being taken seriously. Give us a link, perhaps? It obviously made an impact on you.
The balance between aerosol inhalation infection and infection from fomite contact has moved steadily to the former. Hence the whole 'hands' thing would have been better used for a snappy word for ventilation.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Masks is one thing. there was a post on this thread a short time ago where a scientist was desperately trying to get the WHO and others to take seriously airborne spread and they dismissed her advice. These things would have made a massive difference.
That's the article I linked! The trouble with the idea of making the medics at WHO and CDC and others "accountab[le] for giving out wrong info that costs lives" is that the wrong info came from long-established medical texts. Do you think we really should punish people for passing on what they were taught? If they didn't accept at least most of what was in those textbooks, they probably wouldn't have graduated and never would have got their job!

Also, there might be a chilling effect if we make medics think they can be punished if they base anything on established facts rather than laboriously checking everything, or at least accepting every reasonable challenge. The potential perverse incentive for cover-ups and conspiracies would make the "big pharma" conspiracy theories seem trivial.

So, instead, do you want to punish the authors of the incorrect texts? In this case, because the error dates back to the mid-1960s, most of them were probably either basing their work on older incorrect texts, or are dead by now: Alexander Langmuir — named in the article as part of the confusion but not definitely the one who made the error — died in 1993.

Please, if you can make a good argument for who should be held responsible for this deadly mistake, write it now...

Ajax Bay

Guru
Spector has reported that symptoms experienced with infection by the Delta variant differ from both the original and the Alpha variant.

His team have been analysing the symptoms submitted by all app users and have noticed they’re not the same as they once were.
The number one symptom now is headache, followed by sore throat, runny nose and fever – “all those are not the old classic symptoms.
”[Symptom] number five is cough. It’s rarer, and we don’t even see loss of smell coming into the top 10 anymore. This variant seems to be working slightly differently.”

I hope this gets decent UK-wide publicity (John Cambell referred to it in yesterday's daily dit). The concern is that the symptoms have shifted a lot and don't match the government symptom lists very well anymore. A bit too close for comfort to symptoms for hay-fever and summer colds.

PK99

Legendary Member
The trouble with the idea of making the medics at WHO and CDC and others "accountab[le] for giving out wrong info that costs lives"

I must have missed something. Where does the idea of this WHO etc accountability come from?

midlife

Guru
Spector has reported that symptoms experienced with infection by the Delta variant differ from both the original and the Alpha variant.

His team have been analysing the symptoms submitted by all app users and have noticed they’re not the same as they once were.
The number one symptom now is headache, followed by sore throat, runny nose and fever – “all those are not the old classic symptoms.
”[Symptom] number five is cough. It’s rarer, and we don’t even see loss of smell coming into the top 10 anymore. This variant seems to be working slightly differently.”

I hope this gets decent UK-wide publicity (John Cambell referred to it in yesterday's daily dit). The concern is that the symptoms have shifted a lot and don't match the government symptom lists very well anymore. A bit too close for comfort to symptoms for hay-fever and summer colds.

That's interesting. My employer sends almost daily emails but change in symptoms not mentioned. We phone all patients before they attend and ask if they have any symptoms (government) and then again on arrival.

The only thing we do differently is not take their temp any more.

PK99

Legendary Member
Here:

I think it is unworkable in general. Some misinformation campaigns might be punishable, but even that is not simple.

The best scientific advice of the moment is just that.

As knowledge and understanding change, so too changes the best scientific advice.

The new advice might contradict the old, but that does not mean the old advice was wrong when given.

Ajax Bay

Guru
That's interesting. My employer sends almost daily emails but change in symptoms not mentioned. We phone all patients before they attend and ask if they have any symptoms (government) and then again on arrival.
The only thing we do differently is not take their temp any more.
Recommend a 2 minute listen (from @4:00) He makes the point that the 'mainstream media' have not picked this up.

View: https://youtu.be/ImzsGesBApM?t=243

1623446329626.png

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Well some people from early on have provided good advice which would have saved lives but the people tasked with advising the population in the UK and elsewhere dismissed that advice. Where do you draw the line between good faith and incompetence?
How about suggesting bleach or sun light. Or constantly pushing untested drugs etc etc.

PK99

Legendary Member
On the news tonight the usual test positive graph was shown.

Surely this is now of limited value?

In earlier phases, positive tests today translated as baked in hospitalisation in 7/10 days later and deaths after 2/3 weeks.

Now with a significant number vaccinated that correspondence is broken.

lane

Veteran
It seems reasonable to me if you have provided poor advice that has resulted in significant loss of life you should be accountable. If you can show that in all the circumstances you acted reasonably or to the best of your knowledge then you have nothing to worry about but you have still been held to account. It may well be though, that despite the text books being wrong or whatever, you were still negligent because you did not change your advice quickly enough, or you could on balance have provided advice that in the circumstances might have saved lives without any significant downside even though the science was not 100%. Or you need to account for the fact that other people gave better advice than you did based on the same set of information that everybody had access to. Hopefully the people advising Government and advising the public (often incorrectly) will be held to account in the public enquiry and will have to defend their actions. What happens if they are found to be negligent I am not sure.​
We can't, in this country, hold Trump to account, that is for the USA to do. I doubt many people in this country followed his advice in any case.​

Top Bottom