Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Women on buses, with beards. Some hiding them with masks!!
They could have been simple blue chin warmers but I didn't want to get close enough to find out what they were hiding underneath the chin warmers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wife's company has officially said anyone with a cold should WFH, as that's how a covid infection started last week, and a whole floor sent home from one positive. We've already got that 'unofficially' at work. As from today, face masks must be worn everywhere you can't socially distance, so unless you are at your desk, then mask up. Can't see the student's complying at all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't believe the masks offer much if any protection from what I read before Covid hit but if it puts other people at ease then why not wear one.
I do think there is an argument just like in the dreaded helmet debates that if you think you are safer because of a helmet/mask you will take more risks and open yourself up to more chance of injury/illness.
There is an argument like that but it seems the effect is smaller and probably contradicted by people taking fewer risks because the mask both directly prevents thoughtless mouth/nose touching and reminds people the pandemic is on, plus the extra risk-taking is overshadowed by the vaccinated taking more risks.

Latest studies suggest masks do offer significant (but very imperfect) protection to wearers. For example https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-10-2...-wearers-covid-19-infection-large-scale-study

Johnno260

Veteran
Just for a little levity.

0D68A7CA-36DF-4FBB-BAC2-306CCEA0BD7B.jpeg

A850C1AD-BE65-4F99-91AF-521F7EB39674.jpeg

mjr

Morrisons Kendal yesterday.

All customers wearing a mask.

Most staff not! :angry:

What gives?
Formally, the requirement does not apply to employees and they won't mask until their employer updates its risk assessments in light of the new variant. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/1340/part/2/made

Informally, as long as there are screens at checkout where I'll be facing them, I don't get too excited about unmasked workers because they are in the room so long that masks won't prevent a significant build-up of any virus particles they are emitting. Ventilation is required... and that's part of why I don't shop in Morrison's whose local brutalist buildings could qualify for sick building syndrome with low ventilation, little natural light and chemical cleaning smells.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Not that funny. John Snow's 1854 findings on cholera were not accepted during his lifetime and thousands more died as a result. We have a long history of stupidity about diseases.

I don't think it's going away anytime soon unfortunately, I have had several more friends and family decide ignoring medical science means the issue goes away.

Thing is nature provides stupidity moderation in the wild, we as a species have removed many risks from stupidity.

I suppose humor is becoming my coping mechanism, no offense was intended, well if someone is a pseudoscience believer I hope it offended them, I know you don't fall into that category so it wasn't a barbed comment.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is an argument like that but it seems the effect is smaller and probably contradicted by people taking fewer risks because the mask both directly prevents thoughtless mouth/nose touching and reminds people the pandemic is on, plus the extra risk-taking is overshadowed by the vaccinated taking more risks.

Latest studies suggest masks do offer significant (but very imperfect) protection to wearers. For example https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-10-2...-wearers-covid-19-infection-large-scale-study
How about listing a few examples of these extra risks and the risk-taking by those who have been vaccinated and those who are mask wearers.

Maybe you feel that their use should cease, the risk might outweigh any benefit in your opinion.

mjr

How about listing a few examples of these extra risks and the risk-taking by those who have been vaccinated and those who are mask wearers.
· "I don't need to wear a mask because I've been vaccinated"
· "I can hug them because I've been vaccinated"
· "I'm alright to visit that packed pub because I've been vaccinated"

· "I don't need to isolate while showing covid symptoms because I'm wearing a mask"
· "I can hug them because I'm wearing a mask"
· "I'm alright to visit that packed pub because I'm wearing a mask"

Maybe you feel that their use should cease, the risk might outweigh any benefit in your opinion.
Nope. Do you enjoy suggesting other people believe stuff you invented?

Top Bottom