Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
One explanation might be that those who are most vulnerable are still largely observing lockdown, such that admissions are now weighted to those who are deemed less vulnerable and in a better position to cope with the disease.

It will be interesting to see what the experts come up with.
Could it have something to do with a lowering of this viral load thing? (Which I don't pretend to have understood.)

midlife

Guru
Interesting news reported today in The Times that the death rate for coronavirus patients in English hospitals has fallen to a quarter of the level at the peak of the outbreak, but they don't really know why the proportion has dropped so much.

Could be that hospitals are like ghost towns at the moment and have been for a while. If there are no old / frail / vulnerable patients in hospital to catch COVID-19 then I guess the mortality rate goes down? That and maybe management is better.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
On the US stuff.

9000 new confirmed cases in just one day in Florida. For a third of the UK population size.

It has closed it's bars immediately in response.

Reactions: mjr

MntnMan62

Über Member
On the US stuff.

9000 new confirmed cases in just one day in Florida. For a third of the UK population size.

It has closed it's bars immediately in response.

I'm completely baffled by the level of stupidity of US politicians. Everyone was clamoring to "open up" even though nothing had changed. There was no vaccine and there was no new information with which to treat the virus. All we had was some reduced levels of infection that was a result of lockdowns and people generally observing social distancing and mask wearing protocols. Then someone magically decides things are good and we can start opening up again. Why????? What changed????? NOTHING!!!! Generally speaking stupidity of poiticians is fairly innocuous. But this time it is costing people's lives and their heath (for those who get sick but end up with permanent damage to major organs). I'm sorry but this all amounts to serious levels of incompetence and gross negligence. Bankers in the US are bound to their fiduciary duty on behalf of their clients and if they make poor decisions that amount to the same incompetence and gross negligence, they lose their jobs and can be fined and even imprisoned. I believe the same standards apply to politicians and so too should the punishment. Incompetence and gross negligence are the only terms that accurately desribe the decision making of drumpf and his administration. He is guilty of both refusing to take appropriate action and making dangerous decisions which led to improper action. He belongs in prison and he should be made to pay financially for his ridiculously bad decisions. I'd love to see class action lawsuits filed against him for his handling of lots of things in addition to the pandemic.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm completely baffled by the level of stupidity of US politicians. Everyone was clamoring to "open up" even though nothing had changed. There was no vaccine and there was no new information with which to treat the virus. All we had was some reduced levels of infection that was a result of lockdowns and people generally observing social distancing and mask wearing protocols. Then someone magically decides things are good and we can start opening up again. Why????? What changed????? NOTHING!!!!

You could substitute "UK" instead of "US" in the above and pretty well all of it would be equally true.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just seen on the news Matt Hancock is warning we will close beaches if public don’t social distance.
I think I don't believe that. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rising-seas-threaten-nearly-half-of-uks-beaches-cw8mcmxr6 makes me think there's over 3200 miles of beaches (edit: because that's only sandy ones). https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2019 and https://www.statista.com/statistics/877540/leading-police-forces-by-officer-numbers-in-the-uk/ makes me think there's about 126'000 frontline police.

So even if evenly distributed and they've no other work, can 4 officers close each mile of beach? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It's shoot and Hancock must know it.

Last edited:
We are still in lockdown. It just stupid people have listen to the idiotic government and cherrypicked the advice they want to hear.

If you are on furlough because it’s too dangerous to go to work how can it be safe to crowd on a beach?
It is sad, no doubt that not everyone was going to take this health crisis seriously enough but the pictures I saw of the beaches show a concentration of dim witted. An incubator on sand.

Well, "busy" isn't in my description of a good pub. I'd prefer to hang out in a pub where I can sit at the large wooden bar with a friend or three and no one sitting anywhere near us, essentially having the place to ourselves essentially. I avoid crowded places in general. People around here love to flock to the beach in the summer. I despise the beach in the summer because I ........ wait for it........hate people. :rolleyes: I much prefer heading up to the mountains to escape the crowds and enjoy the solitude on a mountain lake.
You ain't like any US citizen I have met. You should gain honorary British citizenship for reserved behaviour.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is sad, no doubt that not everyone was going to take this health crisis seriously enough but the pictures I saw of the beaches show a concentration of dim witted. An incubator on sand.
Have there been any confirmed open air transmissions yet?

I think the beach hate is being manufactured to distract from the true culprits.

stowie

Legendary Member
One already at 97% critical care bed capacity.

I think this is the Houston Medical Center which is the largest medical campus in the world. Although a quick google has the latest being that they think they will cope as they have been releasing beds and cancelling non-urgent procedures.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So even if evenly distributed and they've no other work, can 4 officers close each mile of beach? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It's shoot and Hancock must know it.

4 officers and help from the politicians, easy. I'm sure Matt Hancock watched Baywatch in his younger days. He knows how these things work.

Top Bottom