Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I don't believe that. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rising-seas-threaten-nearly-half-of-uks-beaches-cw8mcmxr6 makes me think there's over 3200 miles of beaches (edit: because that's only sandy ones). https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2019 and https://www.statista.com/statistics/877540/leading-police-forces-by-officer-numbers-in-the-uk/ makes me think there's about 126'000 frontline police.

So even if evenly distributed and they've no other work, can 4 officers close each mile of beach? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It's shoot and Hancock must know it.
Given how he fudged the 100,000 tests a day stat, it'll be interesting to see how he manages this.
Maybe a police officer will visit every beach in the country and say "I do declare this beach closed".
Not all on the same day, of course. That would be silly, even for a very long-legged policeman it would take ages.

Maybe they can tender it out to the private sector. How much do you think Serco could charge to do nothing and fall back on the coastline paradox?
What's an impressive corporate-sounding way to say "as coastlines are fractal they have no definable length"?

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Have there been any confirmed open air transmissions yet?

I think the beach hate is being manufactured to distract from the true culprits.
On the BBC rolling internet news it was stated that 97% of infections were transmitted indoors so presumably 3% are picked up outdoors. This does not differentiate between transmission via surfaces or airborne viruses.
Before the lockdown was eased I came across a number of family groups walking in the countryside with ageing relatives. Bundling granny in a car for two hours with small children is not a good idea.

gbb

Legendary Member
It wouldnt hurt to consider that the hold the virus has in this country should sit, at the least partly and in my opinion firmly at the door of stupid stupid people.
There have been outbreaks in food production facilities, I hear now a factory in / near Spalding has been closed after an outbreak of 15 cases. It's an absolute miracle we havnt had the same although we have had 4 cases I believe and they're just the ones we know about. The agency staff are mind bogglingly non compliant re social distancing and a good proportion isnt lack of awareness, its downright bloddy mindedness and in some cases a 'it's(covid) a load of rubbish' . A supervisor tasked with ensuring one way systems work, social distancing works, general agency staff compliance has met with sneers, mumbled threats and a wall of reluctance, and as soon as hes gone, back they go to their non compliant ways.
If these people conduct themselves the same everywhere, you dont have to look very far why the virus has taken so many lives in this country.

The government have made mistakes no doubt but the stupidity of people is boggling and they are the ones that are actually transmitting this virus.

pawl

Legendary Member
It wouldnt hurt to consider that the hold the virus has in this country should sit, at the least partly and in my opinion firmly at the door of stupid stupid people.
There have been outbreaks in food production facilities, I hear now a factory in / near Spalding has been closed after an outbreak of 15 cases. It's an absolute miracle we havnt had the same although we have had 4 cases I believe and they're just the ones we know about. The agency staff are mind bogglingly non compliant re social distancing and a good proportion isnt lack of awareness, its downright bloddy mindedness and in some cases a 'it's(covid) a load of rubbish' . A supervisor tasked with ensuring one way systems work, social distancing works, general agency staff compliance has met with sneers, mumbled threats and a wall of reluctance, and as soon as hes gone, back they go to their non compliant ways.
If these people conduct themselves the same everywhere, you dont have to look very far why the virus has taken so many lives in this country.

The government have made mistakes no doubt but the stupidity of people is boggling and they are the ones that are actually transmitting this virus.

Could not agree more👍👍👍

DRM

Guru

Having had to work through the pandemic, in warehouses the above in my experience is true, the agency staff will not do as they are asked, they are so stupid they can't see that they have been brought in as cannon fodder to cover any shortage of staff, no one gives a flying fart if they get Covid-19 or not, or if it kills them, so long as the end product goes out of the door, to me food processing plants are a prime way of spreading Covid, as everyone is jammed in working side by side, in cool, damp condition, the floors are usually wet through, and you have staff, who are mainly Eastern European living in shared accommodation, it's a perfect storm brewing I'm afraid.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone

Agreed. Our plans to curb the spread are only as good as our stupidest people and there are an awful lot of them. Doesnt bode well for autumn and winter.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There have been outbreaks in food production facilities, I hear now a factory in / near Spalding has been closed after an outbreak of 15 cases.
Nothing on BBC Lincs or ITV Yorks or Lincs Live. Where's that, then?

A supervisor tasked with ensuring one way systems work, social distancing works, general agency staff compliance has met with sneers, mumbled threats and a wall of reluctance, and as soon as hes gone, back they go to their non compliant ways.
Sounds like an illustration of the madness of Boris's approach of letting businesses regulate themselves. The supervisor should escalate it to management, who should discipline some and maybe ultimately shut down or call in the authorities, but few business owners will act that strongly to protect us.

Some people may be acting stupid, but Boris has left us at their mercy.

mjr

I think the UK is still "running too hot" in terms of absolute new daily deaths and so shouldn't be unlocking even more - or at least not unlocking indoor activities. If this carried on at current rates, the UK's published "deaths per capita" will overtake Belgium in 3½ weeks despite the suspected disparity in reporting (UK 40% underreported, Belgium 0%).

DRM

Guru
Nothing on BBC Lincs or ITV Yorks or Lincs Live. Where's that, then?

Sounds like an illustration of the madness of Boris's approach of letting businesses regulate themselves. The supervisor should escalate it to management, who should discipline some and maybe ultimately shut down or call in the authorities, but few business owners will act that strongly to protect us.

Some people may be acting stupid, but Boris has left us at their mercy.
They won't close, all that matters is profit, ultimately the supervisors & management are worse because they cowtow to the owners/shareholders, instead of saying stop, there was a meat packing plant up here with a huge outbreak that covered it up, only when it was mentioned on the daily update did the smelly brown stuff hit the fan, no mention on either BBC, ITV or Sky news outlets up to that point.

gbb

Legendary Member
Nothing on BBC Lincs or ITV Yorks or Lincs Live.
My mistake, its Wisbeach, Princes factory. BBC local news, Cambridgeshire. 14 cases, plant closed temporarily. Staff 'forgetting themselves' when at breaks. In other words (IMHO) as soon as they're left to their own devices, they just revert to type, same as they do here. The agency responsible here has tried to modify their behaviour but it's an unbelievably hard task.
Mixed feeling it only being a 24 hour closure. Is it enough, are they screening to identify other cases ? On the selfish side, staff here were concerned if had been a longer closure, we'd have likely seen some of them appearing here.

Reactions: mjr

DRM

Guru
My mistake, its Wisbeach, Princes factory. BBC local news, Cambridgeshire. 14 cases, plant closed temporarily. Staff 'forgetting themselves' when at breaks. In other words (IMHO) as soon as they're left to their own devices, they just revert to type, same as they do here. The agency responsible here has tried to modify their behaviour but it's an unbelievably hard task.
Mixed feeling it only being a 24 hour closure. Is it enough, are they screening to identify other cases ? On the selfish side, staff here were concerned if had been a longer closure, we'd have likely seen some of them appearing here.
If the staff have been exposed, surely they should all go home and isolate for 14 days, 14 cases will be the tip of the iceberg, give it a couple of days and 14 could become 126 quite easily, going on the assumption that 1 person will infect 3 others.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I don't think anyone would want to let the government off the hook, but you are right - sensible action by the public could get the pandemic reasonably under control without government interference. The stupidity of those who ignore the rules is made worse by the dithering and incompetent response of the government from the beginning.

DRM

Guru
the other thing is, this lot cover it up, then call out a few contractors to repair bits of kit over the course of the week, they then travel all over spreading it over a wider area, without realising what they've done, imo the HSE should prosecute ANY factory who refuse to close/cover up an outbreak.

mjr

Oh yes, I'd seen that one. One of my nearby towns and, to be honest, I was avoiding it anyway because of what residents were posting to social media and what I saw in parks on one ride through. They're already campaigning against coronavirus vaccination, for crying out loud!

As for Princes, I don't understand why it's not a 2 week shutdown and deep clean with quararantine orders for workers and HSE investigation. That might also concentrate the minds at other plants.

People may be stupid but so is this government!

Top Bottom