Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't forget that Brazil has a population exactly three times that of the UK, when looking at graphs. The only compatible way to measure different countries is on a per head of population basis. If you look at the numbers for Brazil vs the USA, adjusted for population size, the USA currently still has a worse infection rate.
It's quite obvious that there will not be another widespread lockdown in the USA, because of the amount of unemployment it caused the first time, and the virus will continue to transmit freely in both Brazil and the US. What will be interesting is how high the daily new infection numbers get before they level off even with minimal attempts to control them.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The only compatible way to measure different countries is on a per head of population basis. If you look at the numbers for Brazil vs the USA, adjusted for population size, the USA currently still has a worse infection rate.
No it doesn't.

This is current cases per million, on a linear scale (the last one was a log scale). It looks awful for both countries led by off-the-scale authoritarian populists, despite the efforts of many local government agencies to suppress the spread. And it really flatters the country led by the incompetent nincompoop who, fortunately for us, plays the authoritarian populist badly.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Fruits and vegetables often have to be handled in order to know if they are ripe or fresh. That's just how it goes. Care to elaborate?

You often make some quite out there and shoot from the hip comments on this thread without explanation.

Yours is opinion only. Handling of fruit and vegetables with bare hands varies heavily on cultural background and individual difference.

You are just very different from some others on this thread.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
@srw , you keep putting up rolling averages, which are only a snapshot and do not show the cumulative result. I am talking about the total number of confirmed cases per country divided by the total population of that country. Brazil has roughly half the number of virus cases compared to the USA, but almost two thirds of the USA's population. Therefore the total amount of infection spread to date in the USA is higher than in Brazil.

srw

@srw , you keep putting up rolling averages, which are only a snapshot and do not show the cumulative result. I am talking about the total number of confirmed cases per country divided by the total population of that country. Brazil has roughly half the number of virus cases compared to the USA, but almost two thirds of the USA's population. Therefore the total amount of infection spread to date in the USA is higher than in Brazil.

I give it about a fortnight before you're wrong.

Whichever way you look at it, Brazil and the US are having disastrous pandemics.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I give it about a fortnight before you're wrong.

Whichever way you look at it, Brazil and the US are having disastrous pandemics.

I agree Brazil will probably soon overtake the US in terms of infection rate, but I also reckon they will recover quicker from it afterwards. Even the US will probably recover quicker than most of the developed West. Europe will continue to be a complete shoot show, especially in the South.

Very few countries have had what you could call a "good" pandemic. Most have either had a lot of infection, or a lot of lockdown inflicted economic damage, or worse still - both.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The reason Britain did so appallingly in the first wave isn't anything to do with weak government and selfish people apparently, it's to do with obesity.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson told Times Radio that Britons were significantly fatter than people in most of the rest of Europe, admitting he had lost weight after contracting coronavirus.
Research has suggested being overweight or obese may make people who get coronavirus sicker.
The Sunday Times this week reported that the prime minister was planning to "put the nation on a diet" - including the wider use of bariatric surgery - in order to try to limit the impact of a second wave of coronavirus.

umm

If it's anything like everything else this clown's government does it'll be "We suggest you don't eat that teacake", "We strongly urge you to limit second helpings", "We advise you to chew your sausages more carefully"

Dick. Stick to press ups

Talk about victim blaming

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The reason Britain did so appallingly in the first wave isn't anything to do with weak government and selfish people apparently, it's to do with obesity.

umm

If it's anything like everything else this clown's government does it'll be "We suggest you don't eat that teacake", "We strongly urge you to limit second helpings", "We advise you to chew your sausages more carefully"

Dick. Stick to press ups

Aren't we about the 3rd or 4th most obese nation in Europe?

If obesity is definitely a factor in Covid death rates then he may well have a point.

Obviously if it is it is not the only factor but it really wouldn't hurt if the nation was put on a diet (and started cycling more :smile:).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

The reality is the UK does not have the sort of population that likes being told what to do by politicians, and trust in politicians and government institutions is relatively low. The USA is exactly the same.

In countries where the public tend to believe the government, such as Scandinavia, the population will generally pay some attention to any advice given and try to follow it.
In countries with a cynical and jaded attitude to politicians and government, the response to any official directives on what to do or what not to do, is likely to be "go feck yourselves, I'm not going to put up with any of that shite" from a substantial proportion of the populace. We aren't in China or Singapore, and Boris realises that.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Aren't we about the 3rd or 4th most obese nation in Europe?

If obesity is definitely a factor in Covid death rates then he may well have a point.

Obviously if it is it is not the only factor but it really wouldn't hurt if the nation was put on a diet (and started cycling more :smile:).
If it's true, why has Scotland fared better than England? Scotland has 30% of adults obese compared to 27% in England

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The reality is the UK does not have the sort of population that likes being told what to do by politicians, and trust in politicians and government institutions is relatively low

Nonsense. Honestly, this flies in the face of any facts.

You're seriously suggesting that the population of Greece is more compliant in general to govt demands than that of the uk? And the Greeks have respect for their politicians? This is Alice in Wonderland stuff.

And how does your thesis that Scandinavian countries are compliant square with the current highest infection rate in Europe being in Sweden?

The reality is that the uk populace complied extraordinarily well until it became clear the govt held us in contempt. And then further compounded things with mixed and confused messages.

Your ideas are totally at odds with the facts.

Like your earlier herd immunity nonsense.

srw

I agree Brazil will probably soon overtake the US in terms of infection rate, but I also reckon they will recover quicker from it afterwards. Even the US will probably recover quicker than most of the developed West. Europe will continue to be a complete shoot show, especially in the South.

Very few countries have had what you could call a "good" pandemic. Most have either had a lot of infection, or a lot of lockdown inflicted economic damage, or worse still - both.
That's certainly a take.

It's not a take I could agree with. The economic damage comes not just (and probably not mainly) from the short-term government-imposed restrictions, but from the fear, the long-term sickness and the death caused by the infection. Which will all go on for years to come. My best guess is that New Zealand and Australia will recover quickly, continental Europe will do pretty well because they've had relatively low rates of infection and are all but clean now, the UK will be the laggard in Europe (not helped by the bizarre self-inflicted wound of making it difficult to trade with our largest partners), and the US and Brazil will be devastated.

The best way to recover from the the virus in the UK would be to do what Germany and New Zealand have done - hit it very hard indeed so that it goes away as far as possible.

Top Bottom