Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I've had measles as a youngster and I'm pretty certain I also had the coronavirus in March, and given the choice, I'd opt for coronavirus every time. Measles made me feel more ill and took longer to recover from. No need for virus parties when I had the measles, half my class at school was going down with it one after the other. Seem to remember even some teachers got it.
Unfortunately, the medical authorities have made a rod for their own back with MMR, by insisting on giving the combined vaccine, not all separate ones. It's this aspect that caused a lot of people to refuse it, and gave the anti-vaxxers ammunition.
"Pretty certain"? So you had a sniffle and automatically thought it was corona virus? Been tested then for active infection or antibodies since? If not, how can you be "pretty certain" of anything. The number of people who have said to me recently, oh, I think I've had it, it's nothing to worry about.... But they hadn't been tested, so how can they know? I f you had a sniffle in March 2019, you'ld have said "it's a cold". Now due to the high profile which coronavirus currently has, anyone who has anything which would pass unnoticed in normal times thinks they have/had coronavirus. Part of this is people's own foolishness, but of course if we had an efficient "test, trace and isolate" system up and running people would be in a better position to know. The only thing you can be sure about for certain is that you had measles!

MntnMan62

Über Member
Are we sure this is really true?

ABC News, NY Times, USA Today, Newsweek all reported on this story. I'd question it if it came from just those questionable news sources such as The Independent, People and the like.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I've had measles as a youngster and I'm pretty certain I also had the coronavirus in March, and given the choice, I'd opt for coronavirus every time. Measles made me feel more ill and took longer to recover from. No need for virus parties when I had the measles, half my class at school was going down with it one after the other. Seem to remember even some teachers got it.
Unfortunately, the medical authorities have made a rod for their own back with MMR, by insisting on giving the combined vaccine, not all separate ones. It's this aspect that caused a lot of people to refuse it, and gave the anti-vaxxers ammunition.

You just got lucky. Lots of other people have been left with permanent heart, kidney, respiratory and brain issues that are not cureable. Did you ever get tested since you think you had it? If you didn't, that makes you quite irresponsible because you probably ran around spreading the virus to anyone you met. I'm guessing you're one of those who refuses to wear a mask. You should go get an antibody test to see if you in fact did have it. Otherwise, I'm taking anything you say with far less than a grain of salt.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Unfortunately, the medical authorities have made a rod for their own back with MMR, by insisting on giving the combined vaccine, not all separate ones. It's this aspect that caused a lot of people to refuse it, and gave the anti-vaxxers ammunition

Yeah right.

Combining vaccines into a single safer shot requiring less injections and doctors visits is what fuelled the anti vax movement.

What medical authorities should do is make vaccines less convenient and less safe. That way there's no way the anti vaxxers will gain any traction.

:wacko:

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You just got lucky. Lots of other people have been left with permanent heart, kidney, respiratory and brain issues that are not cureable. Did you ever get tested since you think you had it? If you didn't, that makes you quite irresponsible because you probably ran around spreading the virus to anyone you met. I'm guessing you're one of those who refuses to wear a mask. You should go get an antibody test to see if you in fact did have it. Otherwise, I'm taking anything you say with far less than a grain of salt.

You're having a go at someone else for toxic masculine 'it'll be all right language' :laugh:? Chuffing hell. This is mindless hypocrisy from yourself. You could just as easily be swapping places with different views with Skipdriverjohn.

You're also talking complete nonsense yourself. In March Skipdriverjohn would have been very unlikely to have been given a test. Higher quality antibody tests along with many others besides were also taken off general sale by PHE and I don't know whether they've returned. You can in theory get hold of the lower accuracy ones, but antibody tests of repute are generally reserved for studies and workers.

Three recent pieces of research also suggest, that if he did have it in March he may test antibody negative now anyway.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Reactions: mjr

Rezillo

TwoSheds

MntnMan62

Über Member
You're having a go at someone else for toxic masculine 'it'll be all right language' :laugh:? Chuffing hell. This is mindless hypocrisy from yourself. You could just as easily be swapping places with different views with Skipdriverjohn.

You're also talking complete nonsense yourself. In March Skipdriverjohn would have been very unlikely to have been given a test. Higher quality antibody tests along with many others besides were also taken off general sale by PHE and I don't know whether they've returned. You can in theory get hold of the lower accuracy ones, but antibody tests of repute are generally reserved for studies and workers.

Three recent pieces of research also suggest, that if he did have it in March he may test antibody negative now anyway.

What part of my post reflects "toxic masculinity" and what part is hypocritical? Serious questions. And no, I'm not talking complete nonsense. I have a fair amount of science and about 5 months of a gazillion examples that prove what I say is correct. Masks and social distancing are PROVEN to be the ONLY things that work so far. If you chose to not believe that then that's unfortunate. And if Skipdriverjohn had it in March, you're probably correct that it might not show up in an antibody test now. The tests back in March were shyte. But even if I thought I had it back in March, I'd put my health insurance to good use and have the test anyway just to see how it comes out. If it comes out positive, then I know the answer. If it comes out negative, then I don't. That's worth it to me. Hypocrisy by foot. Bloody hell.

Last edited:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Rezillo - Thanks.
That article is certainly worth the long read.

It's scary stuff, althought I wish there was more info on the percentage of cases with the more serious neurological symptoms, i.e. how worried should we be? I suppose it is too early to say.

Having said that, if the short term ones that you think you should get over with time turn out to be long term because they are due to neurological damage, spending much of your life exhausted and depressed is serious in itself.

MntnMan62

Über Member
It's scary stuff, althought I wish there was more info on the percentage of cases with the more serious neurological symptoms, i.e. how worried should we be? I suppose it is too early to say.

Having said that, if the short term ones that you think you should get over with time turn out to be long term because they are due to neurological damage, spending much of your life exhausted and depressed is serious in itself.

I'd say that if you add the people with permanent debilitating organ damage and neurological issues to the number of deaths, doesn't that give us plenty to be worried about?

Shreds

I am just appalled at the proportion of brain dead idiots to have come out of lockdown. (Perhaps they have already had Covid 19 and the neurological condition drives them to Outlet villages, Mac Ds and KFC.?)

All those words that were said during lockdown about becoming a more caring and more understanding society evaporated and the fools think they can carry on as normal caring for no one but selfishly themselves often in their 4x4s.

A life long pharmacist I was speaking to the other day seriously was looking to get into another career, out of medicine, before the second Covid peak arrives in October 2020.

We shall see if she is correct but can understand her desire to start a new career.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I'd say that if you add the people with permanent debilitating organ damage and neurological issues to the number of deaths, doesn't that give us plenty to be worried about?

Well, yes, but the organ damage was known at Wuhan in February so it's not unexpected, just that the possible cause is. It was a bit wierd that the early calls in the UK were for ventilators when the reports from Wuhan indicated that dialysis machines were key as well.

Top Bottom