Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Joey Shabadoo said:

I'm betting social media in 1940 would have been ... interesting.

I have been thinking much the same.

"This report from the Spectator proves that vehicle and living room lights can't be seen from German bombing heights".

#proudtobelituplikeaxmastree

Well, Private Eye has caught up and elaborated on the theme:

brodiej

Veteran
No help at all for a member of staff with respiratory symptoms trying to decide if they are going down with a cold or with covid 19

As a parent of a KS1 pupil with a second one starting reception in September I agree

I think in week 1 of term one of them will get a cold. If they cough or have a high temperature the whole house should self isolate for 14 days. I imagine trying to swab a sick 5 year old will be hard and have a higher than usual false negative and I think everyone has to continue isolating even with a negative test.

This needs to repeat every time every time anyone in the house gets a cough.

Even if the coronavirus is not spread much in schools there will be a lot of families isolating plus whole classes sent home when teachers go off.

The only answer if possible would be to test for other common cold viruses

A positive test saying you have a cold would reassure more than a negative coronavirus test which may be a false negative

Julia9054

Guru
As a parent of a KS1 pupil with a second one starting reception in September I agree

I think in week 1 of term one of them will get a cold. If they cough or have a high temperature the whole house should self isolate for 14 days. I imagine trying to swab a sick 5 year old will be hard and have a higher than usual false negative and I think everyone has to continue isolating even with a negative test.

This needs to repeat every time every time anyone in the house gets a cough.

Even if the coronavirus is not spread much in schools there will be a lot of families isolating plus whole classes sent home when teachers go off.

The only answer if possible would be to test for other common cold viruses

A positive test saying you have a cold would reassure more than a negative coronavirus test which may be a false negative
In the two weeks before lockdown, our school was open to only 4 of the 7 year groups. This was because of the number of staff self isolating with respiratory symptoms or who had someone in their household with symptoms. This was before testing but I am sure that most of these were not Covid 19 but just the normal run of the mill stuff.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-cases-in-england-arent-rising-heres-why/

scientist thinks cases aren't going up, as there's been a huge increase in testing in July (80,000 per day to 120,000 per day). Also huge amounts of testing as reactions to cases that are discovered.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-cases-in-england-arent-rising-heres-why/

scientist thinks cases aren't going up, as there's been a huge increase in testing in July (80,000 per day to 120,000 per day). Also huge amounts of testing as reactions to cases that are discovered.
The increase in cases, early in July, preceded the spike in testing at the end. I don't think he's reading the graphs right, and has used the highly sophisticated method of getting a ruler out and drawing a straight line.

All the DHSC data is currently here: https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/cases

Meanwhile ONS estimates a substantial increase in community cases, using methods which are not dependent on the number of tests.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...naviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/31july2020

Adam4868

Guru
I don't think we're anywhere near ready to send kids back to school.Here in Blackpool I've never seen it as busy ! Everyone from around the north west in lockdown have decided to come.Pubs queueing,social distancing is a thing of the past.How are we not going to get a huge spike when the schools reopen ?

Slick

Guru
I don't think we're anywhere near ready to send kids back to school.Here in Blackpool I've never seen it as busy ! Everyone from around the north west in lockdown have decided to come.Pubs queueing,social distancing is a thing of the past.How are we not going to get a huge spike when the schools reopen ?
I haven't been following the local lockdown rules but is there no travel restrictions within the rules to try and stop that? The Scottish government has already issued guidance for us not to travel into these areas, and I have a meeting in Durham (no joke and not to test my eyesight) next week and Lancashire 2 weeks later.

As for the schools, they open up here before they do with you and it's looking increasingly likely that at least some pubs may have to close again.

Adam4868

Guru
I haven't been following the local lockdown rules but is there no travel restrictions within the rules to try and stop that? The Scottish government has already issued guidance for us not to travel into these areas, and I have a meeting in Durham (no joke and not to test my eyesight) next week and Lancashire 2 weeks later.

As for the schools, they open up here before they do with you and it's looking increasingly likely that at least some pubs may have to close again.
No travel restrictions as far as I know.You can do what you want.The trains have been rammed,standing at weekend.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No travel restrictions as far as I know.You can do what you want.The trains have been rammed,standing at weekend.

Went into town yesterday as part of preparation of going back to the office. Wetherspoons was insanely rammed by the looks of it.

I went inside a coffee shop and stayed in. It was all right but won't be doing it often. That one was a lot quieter than the other coffee shops.

tom73

Guru
The picture in prisons is not improving as soon as Mrs 73 sorts one problem something else happens. The cases to date are low but it's more down to luck than anything else. Cases within health care staff are low most are within the prison staff but still no PPE for them. But at least some new social distance floor stickers arrived. That will sort it won't it ? Last week she sent out 4 prisoners to hospital so that's 8 officers who routinely work in close contact with over 1000 others with no PPE. Who may be carrying the virus having to be in close contact with others outside the prison.
A few week's ago Mrs 73 got told to go home and get teated as a on officer she been in close contact with teated positive. lucky it turned out to be a false alarm. New prisoners isolating for 14 days has now totally broken down they should have clear obs at day 14 before they get moved. A few weeks ago prison staff started pushing for the obs to be done early so they can move them out onto the wings. They reported it and got it stopped. Now they've got round it they just move them when they want. So Mrs 73 went looking for government guidelines turns out they don't have any. Routine testing is still not in place for staff or prisoners. So it's not looking good as they start to open up both internally within the wider prison service and wider public. This week face to face visiting is starting health care have not been told anything or asked for advice. But yet in guard room they display the covid secure (print off and sign) certificate.

Top Bottom