Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Ah. Further Oop North :P
It always makes me smile when I hear our English cousins claim first to be European then British but describe a part of Britain hundreds of miles south of me, as up north. :hello:

tom73

Guru
I'm not looking to take away the hard work of certainly individuals but that was certainly my experience, our first minister has also warned she will close them without hesitation if cases continue at the current rate and behaviour doesn't change. I feel really sorry for those whose living depends on it, but I wish she would shut them now.

I'm not either I feel for ones who really do all they can to make things safe. It's the ones who are just doing giving an impression it's safe as with everything else it's needs a more targeted approach. As to who get's help and who can survive with minimum help. As schools open a trade off will have to be found too many variables are at play to have this as it stands.

Oh no, you misjudge me! I have been paying attention to your glorious leader, and comments from Scots-on-the-internet - so I am aware that Scotland has a fraction of the COVID problem here in Englandshire. I'd pretty much forgotten that the virus existed North of the Borrrrrder!

Slick

Guru
Oh no, you misjudge me! I have been paying attention to your glorious leader, and comments from Scots-on-the-internet - so I am aware that Scotland has a fraction of the COVID problem here in Englandshire. I'd pretty much forgotten that the virus existed North of the Borrrrrder!
It wasn't a judgement, more an observation. :okay:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Seems to be mostly pubs up here with the latest in Aberdeen with over 120 people self isolating because of it and around 27 cases at the last count. Even the spike in Lanarkshire at the NHS test and protect call centre was attributed to 2 pubs and 1 shop. Obviously that's just 2 examples but there seems to be a pattern developing.

It's the test and trace which isn't as sophisticated as it needs to be. Everyone in these pub outbreaks should be tested and tested a second time. The pub can be inspected and see what can be learned, were they just unlucky, was there something majorly wrong with the pubs set up and so on. This can then be applied to the pub in future and increases knowledge of what the real risks are.

Just data dumping 100 drinkers visited on day x and saying everyone should isolate is daft, it means you aren't really learning from when these clusters in pubs happen.

This is on the day the modellers say if we bump up the numbers tested who have it by an achievable amount, it makes an enormous difference going into the winter. The other option was bumping up the people isolating massively, but that's a lazy option and not sure how realistic it is at this point.

Slick

Guru
It's the test and trace which isn't as sophisticated as it needs to be. Everyone in these pub outbreaks should be tested and tested a second time. The pub can be inspected and see what can be learned, were they just unlucky, was there something majorly wrong with the pubs set up and so on. This can then be applied to the pub in future and increases knowledge of what the real risks are.

Just data dumping 100 drinkers visited on day x and saying everyone should isolate is daft, it means you aren't really learning from when these clusters in pubs happen.

This is on the day the modellers say if we bump up the numbers tested who have it by an achievable amount, it makes an enormous difference going into the winter. The other option was bumping up the people isolating massively, but that's a lazy option and not sure how realistic it is at this point.
Our first minister on now explaining that everyone contacted have now been tested and even those that produced a negative test must self isolate for 14 days. Seems fair enough.

marinyork

Our first minister on now explaining that everyone contacted have now been tested and even those that produced a negative test must self isolate for 14 days. Seems fair enough.

It's not any different south of the border.

It's because PCR is flawed and everyone knows it (and we knew this months ago even though people on here were arguing and saying hey you don't understand). Your first minister isn't that sophisticated, other countries test a 2nd time (or even keep testing until it's not detectable). There's even been a lot of modelling on this. If you do a test on the 5th day for the person who caught it off someone else, it catches 88% of the virus cases. If you do it on the 7th day it's 94%. This is also on the day the i newspaper went big on SAGE papers released talking about people who tested PCR positive + antibody positive (both) should not be given an immunity passport, but at believed to be less infectious and shouldn't have to follow the same isolation rules if they develop coronavirus symptoms again.

It isn't fair enough to me, it seems totally misguided, given far more testing capacity is there than April.

Slick

Guru
It's not any different south of the border.

It's because PCR is flawed and everyone knows it (and we knew this months ago even though people on here were arguing and saying hey you don't understand). Your first minister isn't that sophisticated, other countries test a 2nd time (or even keep testing until it's not detectable). There's even been a lot of modelling on this. If you do a test on the 5th day for the person who caught it off someone else, it catches 88% of the virus cases. If you do it on the 7th day it's 94%. This is also on the day the i newspaper went big on SAGE papers released talking about people who tested PCR positive + antibody positive (both) should not be given an immunity passport, but at believed to be less infectious and shouldn't have to follow the same isolation rules if they develop coronavirus symptoms again.

It isn't fair enough to me, it seems totally misguided, given far more testing capacity is there than April.
5th and 7th day testing still isn't as good as self isolating though.

I don't think testing really is an issue here at the moment, but maybe that would change if 3 and 4 tests were carried out. I also think it's more to do with the incubation period and asymptomatic cases that only the 14 day self isolation thing is the best defence we have from spreading the virus if you have been highlighted as being in contact with someone.

I don't think anyone suggested our first minister was especially sophisticated, and I'm sure there are lots of studies coming out with new information all the time, but while all that is going on that can muddy the waters as much as anything else, the 14 day thing works as well.

tom73

Guru

If only they'd have put a public health expert in charge or test and trace. After all it's what they've been doing long before most in government had heard of it. But no we got a failed mobile phone seller with a title.

One other thing i'd add is random covid secure inspections in the same way as they do for under age sales, food and trading standards.
With on the spot interventions used as needed from gentle reminders to full instant shut down if measures are clearly a joke.
But any hope of any detailed targeted approach went long ago when no end of governments have been happy to throw public health to the dogs.

marinyork

5th and 7th day testing still isn't as good as self isolating though.

I'm not sure scientists actually believe that. Not 100% self isolate. Models don't think 100% isolate. Within large households is also a problem with the 14 days. A very big problem.

I would argue that 7 day testing is good if you use the data as it's telling you things. Blanket 14 days is not necessarily better in the real world. You have to factor in compliance and public faith.

It's an alternative suggested by scientists, for particular scenarios.

marinyork

@Slick there was some discussion about infected people confirmed with a test. The Whitty felt that the biggest gain would be following WHO and moving the first node from 7 to 10 days to isolate, which is now the guidelines. There was commentary elsewhere that this might mean better compliance with 14 days for second nodes, which was interesting.

I have to go back to uni in September, the uni has an early confirmed UK case. It's mad thinking that the testing was so limited then the case in the middle of a gigantic uni building could have spread it to dozens of people. Or maybe they didn't, we have no idea.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Out today on the bike and we stop in Askern; one cafe had tables reserved but no customers turning up so we couldn't go in. Staff covered but quiet.

The other had no visors, distancing, contact details or anything. And yes, we ended up in this one. Mind you, beans-on-toast, a double fried-egg sandwich, a flapjack and a coffee was only £3.10 thanks to the 'eat out' offer. That was for two of us, not just me :mrpig:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I'm not sure scientists actually believe that. Not 100% self isolate. Models don't think 100% isolate. Within large households is also a problem with the 14 days. A very big problem.

I would argue that 7 day testing is good if you use the data as it's telling you things. Blanket 14 days is not necessarily better in the real world. You have to factor in compliance and public faith.

It's an alternative suggested by scientists, for particular scenarios.
Factoring in compliance is a definite issue. It hasn't raised its head up here yet, but it's only a matter of time before some knuckle dragger refuses to do the right thing. :sad:

Top Bottom