Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Results back - negative ! ^_^
Does she now go back to work or must she remain in isolation for 14 days?

Not necessarily! I've travelled to most of Europe without using a plane - check the Touring board for other examples, including a NL-Mexico overland - while some people take planes or trains to travel in the UK. How to travel is a different question.
I'll ask you not to use me as an example in your ridiculous argument.

Travelling by cargo ship is impossible at the moment, and quite possibly will be in the future, not to mention most reservations are made a year (or longer) in advance.

A border is not just a "political" fiction at the moment - it is a simple, fast and easily understood way to limit movement. In Ireland, three counties were put on lockdown after a localised outbreak, now reduced to one. The county border is a clumsy way of limiting movement but it was, wait for it, fast and understood by all (possibly not the tourists!:rolleyes:) There are numerous examples from around Europe of similar geographically based limitations.

In case you haven't noticed, this Covid thing has changed things a bit..... and continues to do so - rapidly, so your previous travel to and in Europe is mostly irrelevant.

If people want to go abroad, they should endeavour to understand all of the potential pitfalls. Making light of the issues is a disservice to all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll ask you not to use me as an example in your ridiculous argument.

Travelling by cargo ship is impossible at the moment, and quite possibly will be in the future, not to mention most reservations are made a year (or longer) in advance.
But travel by other ships and by motorail remain possible ways to leave this country without a plane, so it's really not ridiculous to say it's not a necessary part of it.

In Ireland, three counties were put on lockdown after a localised outbreak, now reduced to one. The county border is a clumsy way of limiting movement but it was, wait for it, fast and understood by all (possibly not the tourists!:rolleyes:) There are numerous examples from around Europe of similar geographically based limitations.
Yes and not all are along national borders, as in your example.

If people want to go abroad, they should endeavour to understand all of the potential pitfalls. Making light of the issues is a disservice to all.
I'm not making light of the issues. I'm suggesting it's a bit more complex than the simplistic "our country's safe / abroad is risky" presented above.

classic33

Leg End Member
But travel by other ships and by motorail remain possible ways to leave this country without a plane, so it's really not ridiculous to say it's not a necessary part of it.

I'm not making light of the issues. I'm suggesting it's a bit more complex than the simplistic "our country's safe / abroad is risky" presented above.
Try getting to Ireland via ferry from the UK. Not as easy as you seem to think.

tom73

Guru
Oh. she seems to think she's going back to work tomorrow?
She needs to check with with the ward manger I’m not sure infection control will be happy to allow her back that quick.

:banghead:
By suggesting that someone pop on over to the Touring forum (a great forum by the way!) and look for inspiration is pretty much the definition of making light of the issues because (and I'm writing really slowly here.....)
so
much
has
changed.

How many ferry companies are currently allowing bikes? The last time I checked bikes were not allowed on most. Even if that has changed I think it would be foolhardy to go abroad and not have a contingency for that to change....again.

The point about the county border was simply that the authorities will, in time of stress default to the swiftest and simplest means - in some cases that will be national borders.

There have been more than enough examples of things changing very, very quickly. For some people that won't be a problem and for some it will be a huge problem.

The only way people won't get a nasty surprise is if they are aware of what can happen - and there are more than enough examples out there already.

And the next time you feel like using me to bolster an argument, just don't.
On the very rare occasions I agree with a point you're making, the style of argument, the tone, the language used all combine to make me really want to agree with the other side.

I'm going back to my Spanish - it makes more sense than some.

Slick

Guru
Oh. she seems to think she's going back to work tomorrow?
Nicola has stated more than once that self isolation must be completed even after a negative test because of the incubation period.

I’m asking because I want to know how it’s going to work when I go back to school every time a staff member starts with symptoms
I'm sure it will be different for you but it's clear up here even a negative test does not release you if you have had symptoms.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Try getting to Ireland via ferry from the UK. Not as easy as you seem to think.

Tell me about it. Son no. 2 couldn't participate in his national race because we couldn't quarantine for 2 weeks. Currently waiting to see if they'll lift the quarantine from the UK for mid-September.

SWMBO hasn't seen her parents for months as a result.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tell me about it. Son no. 2 couldn't participate in his national race because we couldn't quarantine for 2 weeks. Currently waiting to see if they'll lift the quarantine from the UK for mid-September.

SWMBO hasn't seen her parents for months as a result.
A sweeping assumption on my part here, are the restrictions the same on UK to UK ports*?

Stranraer to Larne.

Top Bottom