Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is and various papers taking different angles on that.

Different districts of town this seems to vary. Some areas are empty others are busy.
If the shops that supported the larger business's close, what will replace them when the service sector go back to work, as "normal".

classic33

Leg End Member
Gregg's in Leeds been hit with further positive results.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news...irus-outbreak-confirmed-leeds-greggs-18839668

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Keep up. Second node!

Generally second nodes do have to isolate. You are simply wrong. If you're going to quote gov.uk actually quote the right bit.

Incidentally you also unhelpfully quoted the wrong bits about health workers 'as part of routine testing'. If they are contacted by track and trace what you've written is unhelpful, they have to isolate unless HPT says no.

Joey didn't say whether it was routine testing or not...
AIUI, she developed Covid-like symptoms after another nurse tested positive. She phoned her line manager who told her to get tested - this took place a day late because of no local testing availability. 24hrs later it came back negative but, my sister being my sister, she's leaving it until today to tell her manager so she could get an extra day off :headshake: She thinks she's going back to work immediately, maybe her line manager will tell her different.

Slick

Guru
AIUI, she developed Covid-like symptoms after another nurse tested positive. She phoned her line manager who told her to get tested - this took place a day late because of no local testing availability. 24hrs later it came back negative but, my sister being my sister, she's leaving it until today to tell her manager so she could get an extra day off :headshake: She thinks she's going back to work immediately, maybe her line manager will tell her different.
I'm quite sure he will. 👍

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Currently our case numbers have been rising week on week for some time.

I hear on the radio that govt are going to run an advertising campaign to get people back to offices due to the effect of low foot fall on city centres.

But surely, if cases are rising, we need to take action to reduce transmission, not actions which will increase it, particularly with the return of schools too. I genuinely don't understand govt strategy.

I hear on the radio that govt are going to run an advertising campaign to get people back to offices due to the effect of low foot fall on city centres.

But surely, if cases are rising, we need to take action to reduce transmission, not actions which will increase it, particularly with the return of schools too. I genuinely don't understand govt strategy.
Me neither. I’m assuming you mean the English government. Encouraging people back into city centres, the ridiculous eat out scheme, allowing pubs to open at all, it all seems non sensical to me. The Scottish government is still saying ‘stay away from the office’ but I still think it’s wrong that they’ve allowed pubs to reopen. As demonstrated by Aberdeen.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Except the virus is here too and you're more likely to get one of Dido's minions call you to tell you to quarantine. The expense may be less but they would not necessarily avoid hassle by staying this side of a political fiction (border) and it's idiocy to say so.

So one of Dido's minions rings you up and tells you to quarantine. Response; ignore their instruction and just carry on as normal. Result = no hassle.

tom73

Guru

Yep yesterday was the highest since June. All this is at a time when viral load is low due to the measures in place and lot of luck. The more people that start seeing every thing is normal now. It's not going to stay down with no plan to really push to get cases to as close to zero as we can we. It's not looking great for winter. Been a lot of talk of upping the number of flu jab's but not much else the logistics are massive anyway. Add in having to work round covid and finding enough people to do them. It's not looking good on that front either.
In other new's the government has said the Saint Leger can have spectators attend all three days. Be it limited numbers but still over 22,000 over 4 days. Trun's out it was news to the council
Other sports can have fans too in turns out. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53921797
Whitty has made it clear more than once we are already at the safe limit but what's he know? At least Dido is now in charge of public health now so what can possibly go wrong ?

roubaixtuesday

Yep yesterday was the highest since June. All this is at a time when viral load is low due to the measures in place and lot of luck. The more people that start seeing every thing is normal now. It's not going to stay down with no plan to really push to get cases to as close to zero as we can we. It's not looking great for winter. Been a lot of talk of upping the number of flu jab's but not much else the logistics are massive anyway. Add in having to work round covid and finding enough people to do them. It's not looking good on that front either.
In other new's the government has said the Saint Leger can have spectators attend all three days. Be it limited numbers but still over 22,000 over 4 days. Trun's out it was news to the council
Other sports can have fans too in turns out. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53921797
Whitty has made it clear more than once we are already at the safe limit but what's he know? At least Dido is now in charge of public health now so what can possibly go wrong ?

This seems bonkers whilst cases are rising. I'd be all in favour if we were on top of it.

Have these people ever been to a sports event? Are they expecting thousands of fans to sit quietly apart, stone cold sober and masked up??

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

It depends if you think wrecking the economy and suffering mass unemployment for years to come is a price worth paying to make the virus infection stats look good.
Personally, I couldn't give a shoot how high the infection numbers get so long as they don't reach the point where they overwhelm the NHS capacity to deal with the most serious cases. The NHS didn't collapse when we were running at an official 5,000 a day infection count, and that was before the Nightingale field hospital contingency pretty much doubled intensive care capacity. So in reality, we in the UK could probably manage a 10,000 virus cases a day scenario without anything too disastrous resulting. All the time we are bumping along at around 1,000 cases a day we are just cruising.

roubaixtuesday

It depends if you think wrecking the economy and suffering mass unemployment for years to come is a price worth paying to make the virus infection stats look good.
Personally, I couldn't give a shoot how high the infection numbers get so long as they don't reach the point where they overwhelm the NHS capacity to deal with the most serious cases. The NHS didn't collapse when we were running at an official 5,000 a day infection count, and that was before the Nightingale field hospital contingency pretty much doubled intensive care capacity. So in reality, we in the UK could probably manage a 10,000 virus cases a day scenario without anything too disastrous resulting. All the time we are bumping along at around 1,000 cases a day we are just cruising.

Unconstrained, the virus doubles every 3.5 days or so.

1000 cases becomes 10 000 in about ten days.

Constrained, growth will still be exponential, but with a longer doubling time, so we'll still have to put in the same measures to keep cases at 10,000 that we do at 1,000.

Except. Test, track and trace works *better* with lower numbers.

So to keep cases at 1,000 requires *less* restrictions than at 10,000.

Oh, and it will kill and disable 10x less people too.

Worldwide, the evidence seems pretty clear: countries with less cases have better economic outcomes.

tom73

Guru
Isn't that more because working from home could kill town & city centres. Because those who would normally spend there have been missing for some time now.
Some large local offices have been as low as 10% of normal staffing levels these last few months.

Equally we can't keep building or trying to prop up high streets that have been on shifting sand for years. All Covid has done is to speed up a total rethink which governments both local and national have been kicking the can down the street for years.
Home workers for example still need services and the wider high street. But in new and different ways such as providing coworker space.
Many companies are not coming back new start up's are not likely to sign up to office space any time soon if at all.
So the problem is not going away anytime soon.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Equally we can't keep building or trying to prop up high streets that have been on shifting sand for years. All Covid has done is to speed up a total rethink which governments both local and national have been kicking the can down the street for years.
Home workers for example still need services and the wider high street. But in new and different ways such as providing coworker space.
Many companies are not coming back new start up's are not likely to sign up to office space any time soon if at all.
A modular buildings company I deal with took an order from a very large insurance company during lockdown for 50 Garden Offices. They'd found that they could manage quite well without the very expensive London office block and the garden offices were for key staff with gardens who could find room for them. I've heard similar stories from elsewhere so it might not be uncommon.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

My wife works in the commercial property sector and this is certainly not the case here, Things have been quiet up until around 6 weeks ago and the situation is now completely different with properties being in high demand and with a faster than average time taken for leases being completed. As ever, many of the smaller high street properties are for new start-ups and, good to hear, they are being supported by the banks involved.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My wife works in the commercial property sector and this is certainly not the case here, Things have been quiet up until around 6 weeks ago and the situation is now completely different with properties being in high demand and with a faster than average time taken for leases being completed.

Are they renting at the previous rates PSF though, or are the landlords drumming up business by being less greedy and renting at a price that makes doing business viable for the tenant?

Top Bottom