Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Several newspaper fronts today suggesting care home covid stats are being concealed for political reasons, to avoid nationalising the sector:
_114150409_ifrontpage28august.jpg

mjr

A high proportion of the population with chronic underlying medical conditions only have those conditions because of self-inflicted lifestyle choices. So no, I don't think it's worth destroying the economy and putting half the population out of work, just to save those who are only susceptible primarily as a result of a lifetime of abusing their own bodies through excessive food & drink consumption, smoking, or total lack of physical activity.
If I make myself vulnerable to severe illness because of my lifestyle, that's my problem, not everyone else's.
A high proportion of the businesses with chronic underlying financial conditions only have those conditions because of self-inflicted business strategy choices. So I don't think it's worth destroying half the population, just to save those who are only susceptible primarily as a result of abusing their market, often through encouraging excessive food & drink consumption, smoking, or total lack of physical activity.
If I make myself vulnerable to liquidation because of my business plan, that's my problem, not everyone else's.

I don't agree with the nanny state business fascists who won't help people but want to prop up failing big businesses at any cost.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
skippy's discarding of a significant slice of the population is obviously repugnant, but also pragmatically dubious.

Let's take obesity - characterised by skippy as a moral failing, and therefore due no sympathy.

Obesity rates have rocketed over the past few decades. Does that mean that people suddenly started being born with moral failings that didn't exist in previous decades? Of course not. It was driven by a change in the environment people live in. Blaming individuals and putting them at risk of a deadly virus as a result is ridiculous.

See also the Victorian obsession with deserving and undeserving poor, and the contemporary divide between scroungers and skivers.

And all this philosophical verbiage aside, skippy should reflect that essentially all over 75s have a pre existing condition of one sort or another.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yep yesterday was the highest since June. All this is at a time when viral load is low due to the measures in place and lot of luck. The more people that start seeing every thing is normal now. It's not going to stay down with no plan to really push to get cases to as close to zero as we can we. It's not looking great for winter.

Out and about this week I honestly think 50% of the population think it is back to normal and 50% are stuck indoors at home. Town and many areas had a much more back to normal feel than even two or three weeks ago.

Just got an email from my club about clubruns resuming. Not only are the Scottish Govt now allowing clubruns of up to 30, from up to 30 households, they are also saying that they only need to physically distance before the run and after it but not during it. This is utter madness :sad:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
And all this philosophical verbiage aside, skippy should reflect that essentially all over 75s have a pre existing condition of one sort or another.

T cell effectiveness declines quite a lot after the age of 70. Even marathon running 70 year olds unfortunately are much more likely to get hospitalised with covid-19 or some die vs someone in their 20s, 30s or 40s with no conditions. The no underlying conditions means they have a much, much better chance though, to such an unbelievably high ratio in some cases that this is overlooked.

tom73

Guru
Out and about this week I honestly think 50% of the population think it is back to normal and 50% are stuck indoors at home. Town and many areas had a much more back to normal feel than even two or three weeks ago.
Sounds about right i've seen the same if not more at times public health messaging look's to have all but gone the same way too.
Only this morning I was openly coughed at by a member of staff in tesco's and that's not the 1st time either.
Still no word on when shielding kick's in again they look to have dropped the idea it was on "Pause"

mjr

Just got an email from my club about clubruns resuming. Not only are the Scottish Govt now allowing clubruns of up to 30, from up to 30 households, they are also saying that they only need to physically distance before the run and after it but not during it. This is utter madness :sad:
Not completely mad. It's outdoors and it's difficult to get very close for long on a bike. Plus keeping the population fit is a very good thing and it's probably safer than sweating in a gym or swimming in a pool.

Presumably govts have the data on whether clubruns have been outbreak sources yet: I don't know about Scotland, but there have been 8 weeks of clubruns of up to 6 in England so far.

it's difficult to get very close for long on a bike.
On a clubrun you are riding for many minutes at a time alongside a rider who is only an arm’s length away, effectively less if they are leaning in to hear a conversation. And worse, they are often having to speak loudly or even shout to be heard. And what happens to all the virus particles they are potentially spraying out ? If they don’t land on the rider next to them it will be the rider immediately behind that will ride into them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Let's take obesity - characterised by skippy as a moral failing, and therefore due no sympathy.

Obesity rates have rocketed over the past few decades. Does that mean that people suddenly started being born with moral failings that didn't exist in previous decades?

No, it's very simple really, people have just become extremely lazy over the last 20/30 years. They are simply not doing enough physical activity, either at work (sometimes because of technology) or in their private lives. They're not innocent "victims" of nasty right wing Tories or grasping big businesses, they're simply being lardarses and their obesity problem is something entirely of their own making.
A mate of mine got made redundant from a physically active job a year ago, but he's a piss head and he loves his food - much like me, but he drinks a bit more. Because he was no longer working off his grub & beer during the week, he put on over three stone in weight, and was a heart attack in waiting. Ironically he'd bought a hybrid bike a couple of years ago but then hardly ever rode it. I've been telling him to get the bike out for ages, eventually due to boredom during the lockdown he did and now rides regularly. He's lost most of the weight he put on and now he's back in the pub drinking as usual, but managing to at least not put any more weight on. If I just sat at a desk all day pushing buttons and took minicabs and buses everywhere instead of walking or riding, I would end up just as overweight and just as much at risk of developing other medical conditions myself. It's not the nasty Tory government to blame, it's not the supermarkets selling sugary drinks and fatty foods , it's not anyone else's fault - it's down to us for consuming far more calories than we burn.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
No, it's very simple really, people have just become extremely lazy over the last 20/30 years. They are simply not doing enough physical activity, either at work (sometimes because of technology) or in their private lives. They're not innocent "victims" of nasty right wing Tories or grasping big businesses, they're simply being lardarses and their obesity problem is something entirely of their own making.
A mate of mine got made redundant from a physically active job a year ago, but he's a piss head and he loves his food - much like me, but he drinks a bit more. Because he was no longer working off his grub & beer during the week, he put on over three stone in weight, and was a heart attack in waiting. Ironically he'd bought a hybrid bike a couple of years ago but then hardly ever rode it. I've been telling him to get the bike out for ages, eventually due to boredom during the lockdown he did and now rides regularly. He's lost most of the weight he put on and now he's back in the pub drinking as usual, but managing to at least not put any more weight on. If I just sat at a desk all day pushing buttons and took minicabs and buses everywhere instead of walking or riding, I would end up just as overweight and just as much at risk of developing other medical conditions myself. It's not the nasty Tory government to blame, it's not the supermarkets selling sugary drinks and fatty foods , it's not anyone else's fault - it's down to us for consuming far more calories than we burn.

Please explain *why* people suddenly became lazy.

*Why* do people choose to become "lardarses" now when they didn't in the past?

In your philosophy, somehow people suddenly became bad through no reason other than relapsing into personal moral turpitude.

Top Bottom