Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Nicola has stated more than once that self isolation must be completed even after a negative test because of the incubation period.

I'm sure it will be different for you but it's clear up here even a negative test does not release you if you have had symptoms.
My employer's guidelines (in norway) are to stay away from work until symptom free plus one day.* If you work in healthcare you have to follow instructions from your manager.

I had a negative test last week but still at home because i have the sniffles.

Slick

Guru
My employer's guidelines (in norway) are to stay away from work until symptom free plus one day.* If you work in healthcare you have to follow instructions from your manager.

I had a negative test last week but still at home because i have the sniffles.
I think that will happen from time to time. Someone in our office started self isolating with her daughter because her ex man thought that he had it and it turned out to be the sniffles. Better safe than sorry though.

midlife

Guru
Results back - negative ! ^_^

Had my first COVID swab test at work today. Was working in a surgical outpatients department for a change and Thursday is swab day for patient facing staff. No escape and lined up with the rest.

My part of the hospital has never been tested so will be interesting if I test positive.

Close my part of the hospital for deep clean and send the rest home to self isolate?

I'll wait and see....

classic33

Leg End Member
It's on the border, which must be creating chaos. That's if they're abiding by it.
I know they were doing the random roadside checkpoints when the 2km came in.

I've relatives with one County separating them, who can't visit each other.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Nicola has stated more than once that self isolation must be completed even after a negative test because of the incubation period.

I'm sure it will be different for you but it's clear up here even a negative test does not release you if you have had symptoms.

It is the same everywhere and hasn't changed for a substantial amount of time.

The issue is when the test is. It always has been and led to many arguments online or on tv. A lot of research has been done to back it up. If you literally have a test straight away it picks up about 10% of cases. It's useless. If you do a test between 3 and 7 days it's reasonably effective depending what level of risk is deemed acceptable (and that's something people will argue about). A tv doctor gets annoyed about this but when pushed has said yeah actually 3 days would be all right. Really you want to be testing first nodes a second time to see if virus levels have fallen sufficiently. For second nodes you want it twice but really for the benefit of finding third nodes and finding out how it spreads in particular environments.

For travel quarantines other countries have started doing tests at 5 days or later for the same reason (although that's a lower risk than a second node).

marinyork

icowden

Veteran
It is the same everywhere and hasn't changed for a substantial amount of time.

The issue is when the test is. It always has been and led to many arguments online or on tv. A lot of research has been done to back it up. If you literally have a test straight away it picks up about 10% of cases. It's useless. If you do a test between 3 and 7 days it's reasonably effective depending what level of risk is deemed acceptable (and that's something people will argue about). A tv doctor gets annoyed about this but when pushed has said yeah actually 3 days would be all right. Really you want to be testing first nodes a second time to see if virus levels have fallen sufficiently. For second nodes you want it twice but really for the benefit of finding third nodes and finding out how it spreads in particular environments.

For travel quarantines other countries have started doing tests at 5 days or later for the same reason (although that's a lower risk than a second node).

From UK.Gov:-

Negative test result
A negative result means the test did not find coronavirus.
You do not need to self-isolate if your test is negative, as long as:
If you have diarrhoea or you’re being sick, stay at home until 48 hours after they've stopped.

Information:
If you're a health or care worker, check with your employer before going back to work.

She was tested negative when symptomatic so she isn't an asymptomatic spreader. She just has a fever and cold.UK Gov says for workers in healthcare settings:-

5.1 If staff are symptomatic when tested
Staff who test negative for SARS-CoV-2 can return to work when they are medically fit to do so, following discussion with their line manager and appropriate local risk assessment. Interpret negative results with caution together with clinical assessment.

So if her line manager is happy for her to return to work, she returns to work.#

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...are-workers-and-patients-in-hospital-settings

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How many ferry companies are currently allowing bikes? The last time I checked bikes were not allowed on most. Even if that has changed I think it would be foolhardy to go abroad and not have a contingency for that to change....again.
DFDS and Stena both seem to be allowing bikes to be booked on all the routes they usually do that I checked. I read something a while ago about Brittany Ferries not allowing bikes on the western Channel routes, but they will from next Tuesday, (at least on the surviving services).

However, the original point (which was somewhat rather lost in the tantrum) included car ferries and motorail too. People really can go abroad without planes.

There have been more than enough examples of things changing very, very quickly. For some people that won't be a problem and for some it will be a huge problem.

The only way people won't get a nasty surprise is if they are aware of what can happen - and there are more than enough examples out there already.
I think we agree there - but it applies even if you stay in the UK. I don't think we've yet had official quarantine requirements for returning home from other parts of the UK, but nothing is certain these days and that sort of thing has already happened in other countries. Yes, make contingency plans.

Last edited by a moderator:

marinyork

She was tested negative when symptomatic so she isn't an asymptomatic spreader. She just has a fever and cold.UK Gov says for workers in healthcare settings:-

Keep up. Second node!

Generally second nodes do have to isolate. You are simply wrong. If you're going to quote gov.uk actually quote the right bit.

Incidentally you also unhelpfully quoted the wrong bits about health workers 'as part of routine testing'. If they are contacted by track and trace what you've written is unhelpful, they have to isolate unless HPT says no.

Joey didn't say whether it was routine testing or not...

classic33

Leg End Member
DFDS and Stena both seem to be allowing bikes to be booked on all the routes they usually do that I checked. I read something a while ago about Brittany Ferries not allowing bikes on the western Channel routes, but they will from next Tuesday, (at least on the surviving services).

However, the original point (which was somewhat rather lost in the tantrum) included car ferries and motorail too. People really can go abroad without planes.

I think we agree there - but it applies even if you stay in the UK. I don't think we've yet had official quarantine requirements for returning home from other parts of the UK, but nothing is certain these days and that sort of thing has already happened in other countries. Yes, make contingency plans.

I'd forgot it was you and that you're fussy about how and where people discuss your posts. I'll probably forget next time too. :girl:
Stena aren't allowing bikes on their services to Ireland for the foreseeable future.

They're limiting all such journeys to necessary travel. Is a cycling holiday really necessary travel?

marinyork

classic33

Leg End Member
Adverts to get people out of the house and to the office from next week!

Wonder if Theresa May will be consulted on billboards they could drive round to shop people 'have you seen someone not at work? Report them on 0300 111 1111 for a cash reward. Stay alert. Stay at work.' I'm sure a few tens of millions could be spent.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-to-get-workers-back-to-offices-amid-pandemic
Isn't that more because working from home could kill town & city centres. Because those who would normally spend there have been missing for some time now.

Some large local offices have been as low as 10% of normal staffing levels these last few months.

marinyork

Isn't that more because working from home could kill town & city centres. Because those who would normally spend there have been missing for some time now.

Some large local offices have been as low as 10% of normal staffing levels these last few months.

It is and various papers taking different angles on that.

Different districts of town this seems to vary. Some areas are empty others are busy.

Top Bottom