Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you saying that pubs are giving their drinks away, for nowt!

Most I've been in want the payment before the part with the drink.
I wrote "mainly" :tongue:

It will in essence be a return to old closing times, why is that so hard to work with?
Well, why did we stop doing that?

"The Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing Bill will encourage a more civilised culture in pubs, bars and restaurants and increase choice for consumers. It will be based on clear objectives—preventing crime; reducing disorder and public nuisance; ensuring public safety; and protecting children from harm. [...] Most widely trailed, there will be potential for 24-hour opening seven days a week to help minimise, not increase, the public disorder which results from artificially early closing." (Tessa Jowell as Culture Minister, introducing the change)

The middle of a pandemic is no time to be failing to learn from history by resurrecting old traditions which were abandoned for very good reasons!

Adam4868

Guru
Just waiting for Timmy Martin to tell us pubs are safe...you've got to feel for him a little.All that money he spent supporting Johnson and Brexit and hes treated like the rest of us.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So, other than Scotland going to no other households, we are still with 6 others (any household - unless in a further lockdown area), should now work from home (in out shake it all about), and get out of the pub by 10pm. :wacko: But I'm OK to go grouse hunting with all my pals. :ohmy:

bitsandbobs

Über Member
100 students have now tested +ve at the university in the town I live in.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For half my life, 10.30pm Monday to Thursday and 11pm Friday to Saturday, or 1am on darts night lock-in at the village pub :smile: It all changed in the 80s.
I always knew where to get a late drink, you had to be in before closing though, the 'Shoulder Of Mutton' in Dunton Bassett was a good un, I've come out of there when it's been getting light.

They used to shut 2.30-5pm too, hence the high football crowds in days gone by.

I knew how to get round that too, the 'Four Seasons Motel' in Narborough opened under a Hotel Licence and also had a Restaurant 'Open to non residents', great place to while away a Sunday afternoon. :cheers:

Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, when I was going out for a drink before all this, in Manchester, we'd be on the train home before 10pm - I quite liked a few drinks after work, some food, then back home. We'd be getting the train home, as all the kids were coming into town. Unfortunately, I'm just not bothering with pubs at all now (other than sat outside at our caravan site pub).

tom73

Guru
This is going well over heard some shop staff already working out how to get round having a wear a face covering at work. :sad:
Some believe that it's ok when on the till as they are behind a plastic screen. As if that magically stops anything.

Top Bottom