Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
So far only one thing has worked to curb covid worldwide
Walling the city off, allowing no-one out?

tom73

Guru
I'm not sure how accurate the calibration values are for each phone (yeah I know they exist). I'm not even sure how long the advertise is and how often it's repeated.

I did hear that Singapore got very frustrated and launched a single device for people to use.
Just this week I think they started using them. Other placers are looking at using them too. Some companies are already using them. I Remember reading.
As for our app as winter comes and we have phones berried in thick coats and at bottom of bags. Can’t see that helping things either.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nothing has been "made up" about you. What was clearly stated was "The minority have made it worse for the majority. As is often the case.".
And what was "clearly asked" was "Just another example of "I'm alright Jack, sod you". My enjoyment is more important than your health. Explain why you feel this is the case" when I don't feel that anyone's enjoyment is more important than someone else's health, contrary to the implication.

mjr

Yes It is a bit out without knowing the error margin it's hard to say just how much and how many false positives it though up.
Any idea what other counties have used with similar coded based app ?
I think it's using the Google/Apple exposure API, so pretty much all the apps that work will be using the same method.

Anyone know the story behind Huawei phones being excluded?

If it keeps giving you false readings once too often. Many will just stop using it.
I think many will stop using it after the first or second time it tells them to isolate and test anyway, even if it was a justified alert but negative test.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think it's using the Google/Apple exposure API, so pretty much all the apps that work will be using the same method.

Anyone know the story behind Huawei phones being excluded?

I think many will stop using it after the first or second time it tells them to isolate and test anyway, even if it was a justified alert but negative test.

The same method is still a weird lookup table for lots of different phones which as mentioned upthread drove singapore bonkers.

Trump ordered restrictions on China, google blocked them from the API.

One aspect I'm not sure of is the alert. There seems to be suggestions that you can get a venue alert rather than cumulative risk score alert from a positive person.

marinyork

Just this week I think they started using them. Other placers are looking at using them too. Some companies are already using them. I Remember reading.
As for our app as winter comes and we have phones berried in thick coats and at bottom of bags. Can’t see that helping things either.

I think there will be the reverse problem. Neighbours having phones shouting at each other and clocking up half an hour's worth of risk. That's the worry among others of having such a high rating for up to four metres (half of 2 metres).

Others are saying because they are more concerned with measuring the time exposure vs other factors (which can be done more accurately).

You are supposed to switch the app off on the home screen e.g. if you're behind a barrier or in PPE.

mjr

Covids on a plane!

View: https://twitter.com/ArtJonak/status/1307666296104988672/photo/1

Most of the compartment caught it. So much for the air con filters?

classic33

Leg End Member
And what was "clearly asked" was "Just another example of "I'm alright Jack, sod you". My enjoyment is more important than your health. Explain why you feel this is the case" when I don't feel that anyone's enjoyment is more important than someone else's health, contrary to the implication.
"Explain why you feel this is the case" was the question. You seem to feel that pubs should be excluded from restrictions, but refuse to say why.

The "I'm alright Jack" was a continuation of the example. Quoting part of the post makes it easier to get it wrong.

tom73

Guru
I think there will be the reverse problem. Neighbours having phones shouting at each other and clocking up half an hour's worth of risk. That's the worry among others of having such a high rating for up to four metres (half of 2 metres).

Others are saying because they are more concerned with measuring the time exposure vs other factors (which can be done more accurately).

You are supposed to switch the app off on the home screen e.g. if you're behind a barrier or in PPE.
Yes many new builds have paper thin walls at best. Unless you can set up reminders how many are going to remember to turn them off at work ? Most just but them in a locker and leave. Leaving your phone in the car may don't do it much good either.
It's going to be of little use in placers that even having a phone at work is a no no. Prisons being one of them it's not just just a big no no it's an offence. Even visiting police officers have to hand them over.
The other thing it can't work out is the direction back to back for example is much less risk than face to face take it can't work out if your inside or out either. So plenty of variables that you can't control.

tom73

Guru
Someone just asked if me he'd read this right (No he's not bored he's looking stuff for work) so I looked it up.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (England) Regulations 2020 under linked households appears to say that once you form a linked house you can't change it or form a new one even if you are no longer linked to the 1st. So you better not have family fall out then :laugh:

marinyork

Someone just asked if me he'd read this right (No he's not bored he's looking stuff for work) so I looked it up.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (England) Regulations 2020 under linked households appears to say that once you form a linked house you can't change it or form a new one even if you are no longer linked to the 1st. So you better not have family fall out then :laugh:

Yep. They did say that one was coming in.

stowie

Legendary Member

I am not particularly au-fait with the app, and maybe there are some clever algorithms which improve accuracy and repeatability with range, but Bluetooth is not a communications protocol which allows accurate distance measurement. I am amazed that there are bands of 0-2M, 2-4M and 4M+. The number of variables at play with the measurements that can be made which are a proxy for distance seem pretty big to me. In fact there are no protocols which run on phones which can accurately measure distance. There must be a lot of number crunching going on in these apps.

I hope that the app data is taken as part of a range of factors to determine isolation requirements - for example effective track and trace contacting and so on.

Top Bottom