Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This "pleb", how old, did they look like they could handle themselves? Your sudden desire to go all Marquess of Queensberry on some random stranger's ass doesn't quite ring true, tooled up or not.
Especially when there are numerous threads started by the poster of him running to the Police, housing associations et al, when someone looks at him funny.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

tom73

Guru

That's not an intelligent comment, that's just lazy rhetoric intended to make the writer feel superior.

*Why* do they behave like this?
*What* should be different to help them make the right choices?
*Where* in the world do people do the right thing and *what* can we learn from their approach?
[/QUOTE

That’s the big missing link the government have totally locked out any social science. In this whole thing unless you understand the why you, can’t understand and can’t implement informed policy.
That wound however having to government to fess up to its failings.

tom73

Guru
Those are all nice, touchy feely questions to ask that could be valid if we had a couple of years to examine them fully, come up with answers, and implement the recommendations, changing the behaviours of a large part of the UK population.

But we don't so people have every right to call those who don't self-isolate if they have symptoms anything they wish.

Neither your approach, nor Joey's, will make any practical difference in the short term in this pandemic so do whatever floats your boat.
You don’t need years it’s simple basic social science. Plenty of it around and plenty of counties have had better results. Not had to see what we can learn and implement.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So, while I'm still humming and haing about the NHS app and whether all the security issues have been sorted out, I get to the Taproom and find that my phone QR won't read the entry barcode until I've downloaded the NHS app. So I had to do it the pen and paper way.

That's a sneaky way to try to force people to download it. It's not making me feel better about it either

The bar code is only of use to the app. It makes no sense to scan it with a different app.

You don’t need years it’s simple basic social science. Plenty of it around and plenty of counties have had better results. Not had to see what we can learn and implement.

To get something working effectively on a national basis is not as simple as saying it works well in "plenty of counties" and replicating it.

Which counties have few problems with people not self-isolating when they should and what exactly are those counties doing that others aren't? Phrases like 'basic social science' are easy to trot out but any solution that will work nationally needs a more detailed plan of action and time to implement and cure the bad habits of large numbers of people.

Problems are easy to resolve on paper, it's when they involve people it gets difficult.

No, they are essential to answer if you actually want to improve things rather than virtue signal.

I think there's enough virtue-signalling going on in this forum already.

I do not disagree with your questions, just the practicality of answering them within the timescales needed.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The bar code is only of use to the app. It makes no sense to scan it with a different app.
I have used the QR gubbins in another brewpub with no problems nor need to download anything, just name and number, order your drinks and food online. This one operates like a monopoly and smells like a diversion of the NHS as a brand, where downloading the app is a precondition of getting served a beer.

(I know the guys so they were fine about letting me do it the old fashioned way.)

Reactions: mjr

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have used the QR gubbins in another brewpub with no problems nor need to download anything, just name and number, order your drinks and food online. This one operates like a monopoly and smells like a diversion of the NHS as a brand, where downloading the app is a precondition of getting served a beer.

(I know the guys so they were fine about letting me do it the old fashioned way.)

It is the NHS through the government that mandate that there has to be the ability for pen and paper. Not the pub. It is also mandated that service is refused with no contact tracing. I got asked three times by staff the last time I went in a pub.

If it was up to some pubs, well we saw three months of that...

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Given the level of publicity there's been it shows how many just can't think for themselves. There's no excuse - stupid is as stupid does I'm afraid.
Our county must be full of block heads then. Other counties have not had half as many issues as us. Public health need clear , simple, and consistent messaging. Other counties worked that out and it’s paid off. If a HCP is unsure if someone they manage needs a test then that’s not down to being thick. We can’t equally put it all down to not giving a stuff either.
Most of the data that wolund help improve the situation the government don’t even collect the little they do collect they make pubic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dumbassery from the scottish unis and scottish government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-54285720

Students don't go to pubs, restaurants or parties.

All right, well if it's such a high risk then close the pubs. Utter farkwittery.
Indeed. I suspect some student halls are effectively "worker dormitories" which the evidence seems to suggest is a very high risk place to be. The bans seem a bit arbitrary - couldn't they just be encouraged to sit outside, instead?

There's also this worrying bit: "Students will also be required to download the Protect Scotland app" - now everywhere is a police state, forcing leaky battery-monster tracking software onto your phone?

tom73

Guru
To get something working effectively on a national basis is not as simple as saying it works well in "plenty of counties" and replicating it.

Which counties have few problems with people not self-isolating when they should and what exactly are those counties doing that others aren't? Phrases like 'basic social science' are easy to trot out but any solution that will work nationally needs a more detailed plan of action and time to implement and cure the bad habits of large numbers of people.

Problems are easy to resolve on paper, it's when they involve people it gets difficult.
Yes it is in fact we already have contact tracing that works and has been for years. Ran and implemented by local professionals who know the community and know what messaging works. Which is what other counties have continued to use and invest in. We just handed the whole lot to Serco who have no background in public health or experience of contact tracing. In one go cutting of local informed , experienced professionals. Even simple stuff is missed like much of the updated guidelines have not been made available in different languages. We can’t even manage simple effective public health messaging. Which is well known to work. We don’t even ask why people are asking for a test. Like did they get told if so who , did they feel like having one , if so why
Disabled people have been turned away for testing as no one thought how can they do the test themselves. We have decades of research and information on how people do thing and why. We know what works and with which groups of people. Plenty on how society works. I know I sent years studying them. The government just is not involving experts who can explain it or look at what’s not working. They just want to play the blame game and wash hands of any of it.

Top Bottom