Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is that because no one wants to meet outside or travel?
It's a bit of both, one of my friends came back to the UK from Australia after visiting his ex in Germany over the Christmas/New Year and after staying with Kirsten for a couple of months came to England, he was only here for 4 days as there was talk in Australia of banning air travel from Europe (like NZ did) so I didn't get to see him. Another friend got knocked off his Scooter and was hospitalised for a few months at the start of 'lockdown' and I couldn't visit him. As for the 'mates' I'd see at gigs well they went out the window as did the pub trips.
We've seen Maz's Son and his family (we had a Barbecue with just them as guests) and Eldest Grandaughter came round with her partner and son for a Sunday Dinner, a couple of Maz's friends came round one day and my mate Pete has been round a couple of times but that's it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
From my understanding. Which might be wrong ^_^

RSSI is a very poor indicator of distance. Which makes sense. It was never designed for that purpose. A myriad of environmental factors affect the measurement and whilst it is possible to perform almost miracles at extracting signal from noise, this seems a really big problem based on what I have read.

Bluetooth fundamentally is not a standard which is designed for distance measurements. Other protocols can allow distance measurements but they are complicated, expensive and not found on consumer goods. For bluetooth, ibeacon is probably the closest to good distance measurement, but this requires careful setup of the beacons to provide triangulation for good results. And the nature of the system means careful setup can reduce environmental variability.

As stated 3 times now because I think this is being missed by you, the google API doesn't use RSSI directly, it uses a lookup table. This is also why singapore kicked off about their attempt (mentioned twice). Bluetooth beacons are all right ish at distance if calibrated and you don't get a lot of radio wave problems such as fading. Look up tables are instead a bodge at calibration. The rest of what you've written is trivial.

You can improve RSSI distance estimates, it's what the people working for the government were trying to do. It's not arguably that hard to do, it's just the validation and then testing on the real world we find ourselves in is too demanding.

At 3.6 minutes per advert, my battery has drained quite a lot. Oh dear. Not frequent enough adverts and drains the battery like smeg anyway. Ah well.

Reactions: mjr

marinyork

Silly question..... adverts?

It just means a signal is sent from a device to say I'm here, I'm here. From that you do stuff that Stowie calls 'complicated' and I don't and you can infer distance i.e. that something is around roughly 3 metres as opposed to being out of range or 10 metres away.

beacons advertise only and a device such as a phone picks up.
The app works by having both phones broadcasting (adverts) and receiving.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
And talking of 'itching' i'm just itching for some muzzled Stasi type to confront me over my refusal to bow down to this growing police state and wear one! I was nearly there last night in a local supermarket. One pleb glared at me(well it seemed so,even though i could only see half a face). 'Come on,bring it on'! was the telepathic message i sent to the pleb,but i think my steel tipped walking cane might've deterred an aggressive advance.
This "pleb", how old, did they look like they could handle themselves? Your sudden desire to go all Marquess of Queensberry on some random stranger's ass doesn't quite ring true, tooled up or not.

marinyork

What is "quite a lot" in % or mAh?

I'll run it all day tomorrow and see. But it got up to 1.1% and that was with bluetooth turned off later and it scanning for 30 mins and the rest of the time bluetooth turned off and the app in the background. I only installed it about 5 hours ago. That suggests to me it could easily get above 5% battery usage per day as it was going up highest when scanning (can see on the battery graph). I guess if it's switched off and scanning for useful periods the 5% figure I've seen others mention may be realistic. I would have expected a more frequent advert for that drainage.

There's nothing particularly wrong with that bodged battery drainage, but it has been tested for six months!

marinyork

Midnight that's right remember now you can also delete your visit recored yourself. Contact history you can't though.

I went into manage my data and it may be a glitch.

It's now been edited to approximately the end time I tried to scan a second time and it say do you want to login and I pressed cancel. The times had also been edited so it's been rounded to the nearest 15 mins before I went in and after the nearest 15 mins when I left.

tom73

Guru
I went into manage my data and it may be a glitch.

It's now been edited to approximately the end time I tried to scan a second time and it say do you want to login and I pressed cancel. The times had also been edited so it's been rounded to the nearest 15 mins before I went in and after the nearest 15 mins when I left.

How many others would be willing to try and see what went wrong? Is the question Mrs 73 has just set it up and now she can't get the thing to turn off. So works going to be fun tomorrow be picking up all over the place given how busy the carpark is.
The new covid secure memo looks to have missed M and S just been in and it's still no room to swig a cat. They have now got a T&T code but you can't get to it a display stand is in the way. Oh well things can only get better.

• Sad
Top Bottom