Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
And given his health conditions, you'd think he'd wear one. Just wear one you nob !
Sadly not alone I had the local one in the shop last night his wife was wearing one but not him. If that was not enough every time he open his mouth he shouting all the place. Neither are deaf or any health issues

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So what's the alternative @Accy cyclist ?
Pay them benefits until they get a job which no-one has a clue which jobs will be left at the end of this.
In the mean time leading to mental health issues, over due bills, rent/mortgage arrears, or even worse eviction and homelessness.
All effect not just them but the wider economy and society. That's before we even get to ill health from fuel and food poverty.
Or if the house hold has kids to being up or the effect on them health and eduction wise.
My mate is a CEO of local leisure company they have to run at 50% capacity due to covid safe rules. Now he's more than happy to comply and has done everything by the book because he just want's everyone to be safe. They can't without help keep everyone employed once furlough ends and he was looking at letting people go. Now he can more than likely keep all staff but on less hours and still breakeven. That's all he really is looking for at the moment keeping afloat and paying the bills. He's already taken out a 100K loan to keep the wheels on. What more would you like him to do sack people and say never mind you can have your job back once covid is over? Or keep everyone in work with some state help?
I think the broader thrust of this support is to get employers to either get staff in and working in some capacity or close. I'm thinking of all those businesses offering services to city office based companies, hospitality sector etc. They're either going to have to pay minimum 55% of wages for their staff or make them redundant
We're seeing a major shift in working and thus economic and employment patterns and I think there will be quite a lot of jobs that just won't be needed going forward. What the government is doing now is not using our money to continue to support those jobs (as they did with the furlough scheme) that are going to evaporate anyway

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When you tried ?
The guide says that if you forget it logs you out it should log you out in 24 hours. But then that's not much help either with all the variables this app may end up making things worse.
Or when you check in somewhere else. I'd probably go scan the code of a nearby café that's closed, so that I'm logged out of the previous one and if I'm contacted about an outbreak at the closed cafe, it should be verifiable I wasn't in there because no-one was.

Regarding people as checked in for 24 hours has the potential to lead to a massive number of false positives.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've done my bit! Being self employed at the time of my cancer i was back at work two weeks after my operation. This snowflake generation will probably need counselling just to get them back to work. Which we now find will not be for the foreseeable future! The teachers will be just itching for school closures now!!:dry:

Just think how lucky you are 'retired' - you aren't stuck trying to work, or even get a job in this situation, and the economy is going to be knackered for years. This will affect us younger ones in our pensions, never mind those much younger. There will be many hundreds of thousands out of work.

Those already on various state benefits aren't going to feel this as much as those who were working hard, and no longer have a job. That's what these payments are trying to protect.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sadly not alone I had the local one in the shop last night his wife was wearing one but not him. If that was not enough every time he open his mouth he shouting all the place. Neither are deaf or any health issues

Bloke in his 20's in local co-op not wearing one either last night - couldn't claim asthma as he was busy buying his ciggys. One of the things that came out is that CV19 doesn't adversely affect smokers more than others, unless there is an underlying lung condition.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Report of 45% false positive rate in first trials, reduced by 25% in new version (so that's 33% false positive then?) according to https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nhs-coronavirus-app-only-works-22733773

Also, only working on the latest and generally more expensive phones does raise questions about the "digital divide" and fairness - although if the app turns out to be a load of shoot telling loads of people to quarantine needlessly, maybe not in the way the Mirror would probably care about!

[Edit to add:] Blimey that's a short list of phones: 4 iPhones, 12 Samsungs, 7 Googles, 2 Xiaomis, an LG and a Nokia.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
I think the broader thrust of this support is to get employers to either get staff in and working in some capacity or close. I'm thinking of all those businesses offering services to city office based companies, hospitality sector etc. They're either going to have to pay minimum 55% of wages for their staff or make them redundant
We're seeing a major shift in working and thus economic and employment patterns and I think there will be quite a lot of jobs that just won't be needed going forward. What the government is doing now is not using our money to continue to support those jobs (as they did with the furlough scheme) that are going to evaporate anyway

Totally agree if a job will no longer be around the time and money need's to be in retraining. Which in most cases is in more skilled employment. Though lifelong learning has been for some time an easy target for most governments. Which now more than ever will need real funding for some time. Too much of the economy has for too long been built on shifting sand and now need's a radical rethink.
In the case of my mate they can once it's over sustained current employment or near it. The business is a sound one and has no outstanding issues. It's the not having time to plan or do much about having 50% less income due to matters outside his control that's the issue.

midlife

Guru
Our employers policy is that if Track and Trace tell you to isolate then you do (and tell occupational health), not a word yet from them if your phone tells you to self-isolate.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just think how lucky you are 'retired' - you aren't stuck trying to work, or even get a job in this situation, and the economy is going to be knackered for years. This will affect us younger ones in our pensions, never mind those much younger. There will be many hundreds of thousands out of work.

Those already on various state benefits aren't going to feel this as much as those who were working hard, and no longer have a job. That's what these payments are trying to protect.
Isn't he actually on JSA (is that the new fangled term for unemployment benefit/UB40?) rather than a state pension as he's not yet 60?

stowie

Legendary Member
It depends what you mean by accurate.

Lovett et al. 2020. covers the method that it's believed the UK government originally was basing things on. The google API is less accurate. I'm not sure how you get around the problem of the lost information and instead having to substitute lookup tables.

From my understanding. Which might be wrong ^_^

RSSI is a very poor indicator of distance. Which makes sense. It was never designed for that purpose. A myriad of environmental factors affect the measurement and whilst it is possible to perform almost miracles at extracting signal from noise, this seems a really big problem based on what I have read.

Bluetooth fundamentally is not a standard which is designed for distance measurements. Other protocols can allow distance measurements but they are complicated, expensive and not found on consumer goods. For bluetooth, ibeacon is probably the closest to good distance measurement, but this requires careful setup of the beacons to provide triangulation for good results. And the nature of the system means careful setup can reduce environmental variability.

My surprise was the categories for distance. It seems to me unlikely that any system with such variability could produce repeatable results, but there are cleverer people on the problem than me and I may well be missing something here.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom