Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Not only do we have the government steaming ahead we still have many who even now. After all what's happened and the massive loss of life
still don't want to understand any of this, still think it's a joke and just don't care. Come the 4th they will joined by even more who have been a bit 50/50 about this. Who now just want to party and go back to normal because the government say's it's fine. For me the actions and attitude of the don't care or stuff everyone has long past being personal. I've never seen Mrs 73 so knackered and worn out I know she's not the only one many are now running on empty. The NHS may have capacity for now but the staff don't. Just as things slow down and they all have chance of well earned reboot. Things look to be gearing up for even more. :sad:

Johnno260

Veteran
like Tom said, the damage to the key worker staff can't really be measured at this point.

Come Sunday morning I'm sure the A&E departments will be full of people picked off the streets drunk, I would fine everyone of them, they can pay for the ambulance and the crews time, I would also charge them for any resources wasted on them and the cost of a bed for the night.

I always said drunk people should be charged before this current situation, the NHS isn't there to babysit imbeciles who can't moderate their alcohol intake.

tom73

Guru
Indeed, and California state are the latest to start reversing their easing of measures, and are ordering bars to be closed again in many counties as of Friday. LA County will also close beaches after a 45% increase in infections last week, and 3000 new cases yesterday which is the highest number since the pandemic began.

Looks like the US is a bad place to be at the moment. 😔

Having said that, most US states were at least two to 3 weeks behind the UK in introducing restrictions, and also 2 to 3 weeks ahead of us in easing them. (Bars and restaurants have been open for many weeks now in many states or counties). So most states were under a similar form of "lockdown" to us for about a month to a month less than we were.
I think New York State was the only state that I'd hold up as a better example of taking things seriously, they acted earlier and with more conviction.

With New York one thing stands out they have for some time enforced and successfully educated people about wearing face coverings.
Not the wishy washy message we are getting it's interesting that face coverings. Are now being seen by economists as part of economic recovery. A number of recent papers on covid economic recovery all see them playing a part. Simple public health messages work sadly we aren't getting them.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Aren't we about the 3rd or 4th most obese nation in Europe?

If obesity is definitely a factor in Covid death rates then he may well have a point.

Obviously if it is it is not the only factor but it really wouldn't hurt if the nation was put on a diet (and started cycling more :smile:).
I popped in here to ask a question as I know you guys have spent much time discussing and reading around the subject.

I happened to notice this post and would like to offer what I have been told. I live 5-6 miles from a town with a high ethnic population, the town suffers deprivation and I would guess diet, general health is below average. I know an ICU doctor at the hospital serving the local area. He has told me those in ICU are one or more of the following BAME, smokers, obese. No evidence, nothing peer reviewed etc. just a doctor on the front line.

I know another doctor at a hospital at a hospital 30+ miles away. There is an area of the town known for high levels of social deprivation. She commented "once it gets in to that community (with all the inherent health issues) we are in trouble " It did and hospital admissions rose dramatically. Again no evidence just a front line doctor's experience.

tom73

Guru
like Tom said, the damage to the key worker staff can't really be measured at this point.

Come Sunday morning I'm sure the A&E departments will be full of people picked off the streets drunk, I would fine everyone of them, they can pay for the ambulance and the crews time, I would also charge them for any resources wasted on them and the cost of a bed for the night.

I always said drunk people should be charged before this current situation, the NHS isn't there to babysit imbeciles who can't moderate their alcohol intake.

Be a pretty big bill even when empty a hospital bed cost's about £800 a day. One's who have a real ongoing issue with drink need help alcohol creeps up on you and it's effects are horrific. The rest need a real talking to maybe the pubs who have silly promotions and play on the idea of a Saturday night out getting wacko. Are the ones who need to pay for the mess they leave to other to sort out.

As for damage to key staff it's hard to forget us is all this we've not have the best of time either. :hugs:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I popped in here to ask a question as I know you guys have spent much time discussing and reading around the subject.

I happened to notice this post and would like to offer what I have been told. I live 5-6 miles from a town with a high ethnic population, the town suffers deprivation and I would guess diet, general health is below average. I know an ICU doctor at the hospital serving the local area. He has told me those in ICU are one or more of the following BAME, smokers, obese. No evidence, nothing peer reviewed etc. just a doctor on the front line.

I know another doctor at a hospital at a hospital 30+ miles away. There is an area of the town known for high levels of social deprivation. She commented "once it gets in to that community (with all the inherent health issues) we are in trouble " It did and hospital admissions rose dramatically. Again no evidence just a front line doctor's experience.
Poverty kills. Who knew?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You will remember the warning Italy's rapid increase sent out in February, March, which should have alerted governments.

Now we are getting a similar warning from growing numbers of cases, following early relaxation of lockdown in some of the southern states of the US.

Our government's response? Ignore the inconvenient facts, fingers crossed, go for it!

Precisely this

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Poverty kills. Who knew?
Yep, I agree. That's a whole other subject and I've no desire to get involved, just offering what two frontline doctors have told me.

tom73

Guru

That's about right most studies on covid have one thing in common what ever conditions , ethnic back ground ect. You may have they all say don't be poor. Most public health is complex but being poor is always the one thing you put down 1st on the list.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
To ask my question. Amongst my regular cycling group there is a simple question. If we begin visiting cafes and someone else in the cafe later contracts Covid-19 what happens?

Will we get a phone call and be required to test or would we have to self-isolate immediately for 14 days?

I really would appreciate help on this and perhaps a link to the official guidance etc. We are questioning whether or not to visit cafes. We are confident we can protect ourselves and don't want to self-isolate because of someone else's situation.

Thanks and sorry to interrupt the thread theme.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To ask my question. Amongst my regular cycling group there is a simple question. If we begin visiting cafes and someone else in the cafe later contracts Covid-19 what happens?

Will we get a phone call and be required to test or would we have to self-isolate immediately for 14 days?

I really would appreciate help on this and perhaps a link to the official guidance etc. We are questioning whether or not to visit cafes. We are confident we can protect ourselves and don't want to self-isolate because of someone else's situation.

Thanks and sorry to interrupt the thread theme.

Potentially, if someone there had it, you should isolate, but unless a cafe is is writing down names (Gerrant Thomas, Rob Hales, Chris Hoy - gettit !) then they couldn't trace you. - TBH, get takeaway and go sit with your bikes in the fresh air.

God knows what's going to happen when the seasonal colds and cough's come round - mad panic and you'll be sent home for 2 weeks ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

The likelihood is yes, you'll have to self-isolate. How this will be monitored I haven't a clue at this stage. To date cafes have been take-out only, although that has simply meant tables / areas outside.

It'd be the same if you're on a club ride and one of the members riding has symptoms.

The only difference compared to March is there's now the facilities; the Nightingale's are there in stasis. New staff are trained. Other, unannounced, facilities have been developed. For example SWMBO's Covid-19 rehab facility currently has 12 patients in. In March they had space for up to 16, but they were all occupied by patients with stroke/other disorders. Now there's space for 40 with 9 Covid-19 rehab in there already and only 3 for non-Covid rehab. The youngest is only 26.

The 'lockdown', which in many cases near me never actually happened, wasn't about removing this virus. It was about gaining time to build capacity to treat patients. Like others have put above I live in an ethnic minority town where cases are high. No meeting together? That's just been ignored by many. No hairdressers / places of worship open? Again ignored.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Be a pretty big bill even when empty a hospital bed cost's about £800 a day. One's who have a real ongoing issue with drink need help alcohol creeps up on you and it's effects are horrific. The rest need a real talking to maybe the pubs who have silly promotions and play on the idea of a Saturday night out getting wacko. Are the ones who need to pay for the mess they leave to other to sort out.

As for damage to key staff it's hard to forget us is all this we've not have the best of time either. :hugs:

True on people with a problem there would need to be exemptions, but for others just getting picked up for over drinking the only thing they understand is hitting their pockets, same with these people flytipping on beaches as I don't know what else to call it fine them harshly to set an example.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Not if you followed guidance and stayed 2m apart. You would not be "close contacts". https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works#what-we-will-ask-you

Ignore the scaremongers. You can spot them by no links to gov.uk or nhs.uk

Last edited:
Top Bottom