Coronavirus outbreak

tom73

Veteran
I popped in here to ask a question as I know you guys have spent much time discussing and reading around the subject.

I happened to notice this post and would like to offer what I have been told. I live 5-6 miles from a town with a high ethnic population, the town suffers deprivation and I would guess diet, general health is below average. I know an ICU doctor at the hospital serving the local area. He has told me those in ICU are one or more of the following BAME, smokers, obese. No evidence, nothing peer reviewed etc. just a doctor on the front line.

I know another doctor at a hospital at a hospital 30+ miles away. There is an area of the town known for high levels of social deprivation. She commented "once it gets in to that community (with all the inherent health issues) we are in trouble " It did and hospital admissions rose dramatically. Again no evidence just a front line doctor's experience.
That's about right most studies on covid have one thing in common what ever conditions , ethnic back ground ect. You may have they all say don't be poor. Most public health is complex but being poor is always the one thing you put down 1st on the list.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
To ask my question. Amongst my regular cycling group there is a simple question. If we begin visiting cafes and someone else in the cafe later contracts Covid-19 what happens?

Will we get a phone call and be required to test or would we have to self-isolate immediately for 14 days?

I really would appreciate help on this and perhaps a link to the official guidance etc. We are questioning whether or not to visit cafes. We are confident we can protect ourselves and don't want to self-isolate because of someone else's situation.

Thanks and sorry to interrupt the thread theme.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To ask my question. Amongst my regular cycling group there is a simple question. If we begin visiting cafes and someone else in the cafe later contracts Covid-19 what happens?

Will we get a phone call and be required to test or would we have to self-isolate immediately for 14 days?

I really would appreciate help on this and perhaps a link to the official guidance etc. We are questioning whether or not to visit cafes. We are confident we can protect ourselves and don't want to self-isolate because of someone else's situation.

Thanks and sorry to interrupt the thread theme.
Potentially, if someone there had it, you should isolate, but unless a cafe is is writing down names (Gerrant Thomas, Rob Hales, Chris Hoy - gettit !) then they couldn't trace you. - TBH, get takeaway and go sit with your bikes in the fresh air.

God knows what's going to happen when the seasonal colds and cough's come round - mad panic and you'll be sent home for 2 weeks ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

The likelihood is yes, you'll have to self-isolate. How this will be monitored I haven't a clue at this stage. To date cafes have been take-out only, although that has simply meant tables / areas outside.

It'd be the same if you're on a club ride and one of the members riding has symptoms.

The only difference compared to March is there's now the facilities; the Nightingale's are there in stasis. New staff are trained. Other, unannounced, facilities have been developed. For example SWMBO's Covid-19 rehab facility currently has 12 patients in. In March they had space for up to 16, but they were all occupied by patients with stroke/other disorders. Now there's space for 40 with 9 Covid-19 rehab in there already and only 3 for non-Covid rehab. The youngest is only 26.

The 'lockdown', which in many cases near me never actually happened, wasn't about removing this virus. It was about gaining time to build capacity to treat patients. Like others have put above I live in an ethnic minority town where cases are high. No meeting together? That's just been ignored by many. No hairdressers / places of worship open? Again ignored.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Über Member
Be a pretty big bill even when empty a hospital bed cost's about £800 a day. One's who have a real ongoing issue with drink need help alcohol creeps up on you and it's effects are horrific. The rest need a real talking to maybe the pubs who have silly promotions and play on the idea of a Saturday night out getting wacko. Are the ones who need to pay for the mess they leave to other to sort out.

As for damage to key staff it's hard to forget us is all this we've not have the best of time either. :hugs:
True on people with a problem there would need to be exemptions, but for others just getting picked up for over drinking the only thing they understand is hitting their pockets, same with these people flytipping on beaches as I don't know what else to call it fine them harshly to set an example.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Not if you followed guidance and stayed 2m apart. You would not be "close contacts". https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works#what-we-will-ask-you

Ignore the scaremongers. You can spot them by no links to gov.uk or nhs.uk

Last edited:

tom73

Veteran
The likelihood is yes, you'll have to self-isolate. How this will be monitored I haven't a clue at this stage. To date cafes have been take-out only, although that has simply meant tables / areas outside.

It'd be the same if you're on a club ride and one of the members riding has symptoms.

The only difference compared to March is there's now the facilities; the Nightingale's are there in statis. New staff are trained. Other, unannounced, facilities have been developed. For example SWMBO's Covid-19 rehab facility currently has 12 patients in. In March they had space for up to 16, but they were all occupied by patients with stroke/other disorders. Now there's space for 40 with 9 Covid-19 rehab in there already and only 3 for non-Covid rehab. The youngest is only 26.

The 'lockdown', which in many cases near me never actually happened, wasn't about removing this virus. It was about gaining time to build capacity to treat patients. Like others have put above I live in an ethnic minority town where cases are high. No meeting together? That's just been ignored by many. No hairdressers / places of worship open? Again ignored.
Do you know what's the word on the current capacity at the Mary Seacole rehab centre ? It's all gone quiet in the mainstream media and government never talks about it either.

The government is not learning.

First peak: much worse because of dithering pre lockdown.

Leicester outbreak: much worse because of dithering pre lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/30/uk-coronavirus-covid-19-live-news-updates-leicester-local-lockdown-boris-johnson?page=with:block-5efaf81a8f087cbba797e485#block-5efaf81a8f087cbba797e485

We desperately need a serious government.

Less pressups. Less braggadocio. More decisiveness. Better organisation. Take the virus seriously.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Do you know what's the word on the current capacity at the Mary Seacole rehab centre ? It's all gone quiet in the mainstream media and government never talks about it either.
No detailed information I'm afraid - SWMBO's in conversation with their Dietitian but I only get anecdotal knowledge so won't share it here.

All the brouhaha about success and easing restrictions hides a detailed set of preparations for many, many more seriously ill underneath.

Last edited:
Top Bottom