Coroner wants cyclists to be educated about danger of HGV's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
L

Lockring

Hgv is a truck? I think it is anyway maybe just a big truck or bus or trollejbus or tram. But a big thing. Tjese are dangerose and must show a care for a bicycle. For me they are too dangerose. I think they cannot see me, also i must stay careful
when they are near. Best if all drivers must look for bicycles and and bycycles must look for trucks. I am afraid Hgvs,but who rides close to them and does not see danger is dumb. Train driver of Hgv. Very important. Even harder because you are on the left road here and most people are on the right road in Europa america and so. For us it is mpre dangerose because of left side. Train HGv drivers!!

Tcr4x4

Veteran
HGV drivers are some of the most highly trained on the roads. You have to sit at least two practical tests, two theory tests, complete a medical exam and complete 35 hours of additional CPC training every 5 years. Some drivers, myself included of dangerous/hazardous goods, must also complete a further 35 hours every 5 years for the ADR qulification. The argument could be made to train cyclists, who currently have no training at all, but that seems to hit a nerve with people on this forum.
The answer is EVERBODY, should take care, be sensible and be considerate. Sadly though, you always get idiots who dont follow those, be it in a car, HGV or on a bike.

GrasB

Veteran
Today I came across a mini that had been munched by a HGV going round a tight left hander. The it was clear that the HGV had swung wide to the right to make it round the corner & the mini driver had gone up the inside.

Tcr4x4

Veteran
2726727 said:
I don't think that anyone is disputing that, as drivers go, HGV drivers are highly trained. They should be though because they bring relatively high risk to our roads.

Guy above was disputing that, or at least questioning it, just letting him know exactly how the training works.

Guy above was disputing that, or at least questioning it, just letting him know exactly how the training works.

If the extreme vigilance and scrupulous checks run on lorry drivers in London are so rigorous, how come a lorry driver who had been banned from driving thirteen times got a job driving lorries in London? Who insured him? What questions did his employers ask?

To me, it looks like any drunk neanderthal can apply for a job as a lorry driver in the capital and gain employment. Because that's what happened.

Shaun

Founder
If the extreme vigilance and scrupulous checks run on lorry drivers in London are so rigorous, how come a lorry driver who had been banned from driving thirteen times got a job driving lorries in London? Who insured him? What questions did his employers ask?

To me, it looks like any drunk neanderthal can apply for a job as a lorry driver in the capital and gain employment. Because that's what happened.

You can't write-off an entire group of professional HGV drivers because of the actions of one selfish and careless individual. If that were the case all of us on here would be ninja's who RLJ, ride on pavements, never signal, <insert cyclist sterotype>.

The answer is EVERBODY, should take care, be sensible and be considerate. Sadly though, you always get idiots who dont follow those, be it in a car, HGV or on a bike.

This is what I mostly got from Tcr4x4's post! :thumbsup:

You can't write-off an entire group of professional HGV drivers because of the actions of one selfish and careless individual.

But is cyclists filtering on the inside a significant factor in fatalities? It seems most deaths were caused because the lorry driver rammed the cyclist from behind and killed them, or overtook then immediately turned left, crushing them.

That's what happened to Mary Bowers and Svitlana Tereschenko and Catriona Patel and all three lorry drivers were chatting on a mobile phone at the time.

You get an idiot on a bike, they may collide with a pedestrian, possibly causing a bruise. Maybe a barked shin. Bit of a scab. Rich picking.

You get a knuckle dragger in a skip lorry who doesn't know how to overtake or turn left without checking whether a cyclist is ENTIRELY predictably on the in or offside, they end up dead. It's a Cycling Super Highway. It's where cyclists are guaranteed to be. And they're getting killed. By lorry drivers.

The evidence from Operation Mermaid, which has been going on for years and years, suggests that hauliers routinely send out onto the roads vehicles which are not compliant with current legislation. Is this pattern of behaviour, of sending out poorly managed heavy machinery to interact with the public, consistent with claims of professionalism? Obviously, I don't think so.

http://buffalobillbikeblog.wordpress.com/tag/operation-mermaid/

Turning to the issues of lorries, Inspector Aspinall told the meeting about a day of City of London spot checks on HGVs, carried out on 30 September 2008 as part of the Europe-wide Operation Mermaid, which is intended to step up levels of enforcement of road safety laws in relation to lorries. On this one day, 12 lorries were stopped randomly by City Police. Five of those lorries were involved in the construction work for the 2012 Olympics. All of the twelve lorries were breaking the law in at least one way. Repeat: a 100 per cent criminality rate among small random sample of HGVs on the streets of central London. The offences range included overweight loads (2 cases), mechanical breaches (5 cases), driver hours breaches (5 cases), mobile phone use while driving (2 cases), driving without insurance (2 cases) and no operator license (1 case).

Last edited:
L

Lockring

This guy @glenn forger is the right one. When he says he find me and drive at me he is joking and I am laughing, not afraid. He is funny. He is right. Hgv are the dangerose ones. They are the killing ones. They are maybee 30tona, maybe 40 tona and they will kill a person like a fly.

I do not understand all of the posting my english is not better. but he is right. HGV are a problem, a bigger problem. of course some people on a bicycle are dumb and do not see that trucks are dangerose, so they die, but the dangerose one is the truck not the stupid bycyclista who does not see a danger. One day or all HGV will be good with training or all stupid bycycliste will be dead. Or one or other. I am the careful one always.

Top Bottom