corporal punishment - never did me any harm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
One other thought. It could of course be that examinations are being marked to a lower standard year on year.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Returning to the original thread...

It's all very well demanding the return to the use of corporal punishment:

Who will mete out the beatings?

How will the beatings be standardised?

At what point does a beating become an assault?

Should teachers be forced to administer the beatings?

Should the victims of the beatings have pre and post beating medicals?

Will parents have the right to opt out of having their children beaten in schools?

Who will set the beatings tarriifs?

Should parents who sanction beatings be made to mete out the beatings on their own children?

Should the beatings be recorded for defence purposes should a compensation claim be made?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

How will the beatings be standardised?

At what point does a beating become an assault?

Should teachers be forced to administer the beatings?

Should the victims of the beatings have pre and post beating medicals?

Will parents have the right to opt out of having their children beaten in schools?

Who will set the beatings tarriifs?

Should parents who sanction beatings be made to mete out the beatings on their own children?

Should the beatings be recorded for defence purposes should a compensation claim be made?

You seem hung up on the word beating.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Maybe someone can confirm: I'm sure countries on the European continent don't have corporal punishment in school or uncomfortable clothing, sorry, uniform either - and haven't for many years - and seem to manage OK.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You seem hung up on the word beating.

According to Wikipedia, Corporal punishment is a form of physical punishment that involves the deliberate infliction of pain as retribution for an offence, or for the purpose of disciplining... in other words, they get a beating, be it with a cane, birch, slipper, hand.

Are you confusing 'a beating' with 'getting beaten up'?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
According to Wikipedia, Corporal punishment is a form of physical punishment that involves the deliberate infliction of pain as retribution for an offence, or for the purpose of disciplining... in other words, they get a beating.

A smack on the backside inflicts pain but would you class that as a beating?

Dictionary definition.

An act of repeated hitting or striking.2. A sound defeat.3. A sharp reversal; a setback: Stocks took a beating from panicky investors.4. A throbbing or pulsation, as of the heart.5. Physics The periodic variation in amplitude of a wave produced by the superposition of two waves of different frequencies, resulting in segments of louder, and then quieter, sound.beating

[ˈbiːtɪŋ]n1. a whipping or thrashing, as in punishment2. a defeat or setbacktake some or a lot of beating to be difficult to improve upon

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Pedantic with a capitol P.

What the hell is pedantic about disputing if corporal punishment amounts to a beating or not?

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Try and justify 6ft+ adults BEATING children.

Corporal punishment is NEVER acceptable, believe me. If you had a Catholic school education with the sadists I had to see every day, you would have the same opinion

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Because that is what it is.

Now attempt to justify the use of beatings in a school.

I will not and attempt to justify the use of beatings at school. Some corporal punishment may well have taken the form of beatings. The few instances I recall receiving and witnessing certainly did not. I was injured far more playing rugby than I ever was by a cane.

Because that is what it is.

Now attempt to justify the use of beatings in a school.

As the only one in the thread to have inflicted corporal punishment in a school, "beatings in a school" is spot on for me; nail head struck.

I'm not 6ft - but I was lot bigger than the kid; a lot older; and in a professional position of authority and responsibility. I still remember that night getting to grips with the idea that for the first time in my life I had coldly and calculatedly committed violence on a child. "Beatings in a school" - yup, sums it up neatly.

Aye, I could quite happily have strangled him the next day when his story came out about the bloody bet; but what a twisted, immoral little world it was, where a lively, intelligent, personable kid can come up with a trick like that.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

I wasn't. I was, I thought, taking the mickey out of those who would. The humourless bloodlust that ensued was a bit of a disappointment

Top Bottom